La Arcada Plaza: Then and Now
Edhat reader Lynn shares photos of La Arcada Plaza from 1926 and now.
Update by ALE
Much of the current appearance owes to the work of its owners these last 35 years, Hugh Peterson, and his heirs. Peterson loved art and sculpture, and he spent many years striving for "just the right mix" of tenants in
La Arcada's offices, retailers in its first-floor spaces, and art + landscaping that would "pull in" people strolling on State Street, or East Figueroa Street, to look and linger.
He loved "interactive art", and his public sculptures are among the most popular and recognizable in the city, as are his "turtle" fountain, and other water elements.
Peterson was a visionary owner-landlord, who set his rents and leases to be priced for long-term tenant stays, rather than get-rich-quick gouging.
With all the conversation about "empty store fronts" on State, the City and other property owners, would do well to reconsider Hugh Peterson's formula for long term success.