Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

By an edhat reader

I have some old and sentimental pieces of jewelry - both gold and silver - from my childhood that need repair (clasps, things like that). Most are from Europe so they are very delicate. I am looking for recommendations for a local jeweler who has the expertise to do this work, who I can trust with these pieces and will charge a fair (non exorbitant or unreasonable) price to do what is need to restore these back to a wearable state. Thank you in advance!

biguglystick Mar 10, 2019 11:42 AM
Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

I'm glad for this post! I have some older jewelry that needs repair too, and I had no idea where to go. Thanks everyone, PATCO, here I come!

mtndriver Mar 10, 2019 10:12 AM
Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

Completely agree that Patco is the best! Friendly and competent and reasonable prices. And I agree, stay away from Posh, owner very rude and exorbitant charges for simple things like replacing watch batteries. No idea how Posh stays in business.

a-1561014212 Mar 10, 2019 09:15 AM
Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

I also recommend Patco on Haley. My wife has been using them for many years. Reasonable prices and quality work.

a-1561014212 Mar 10, 2019 09:47 AM
Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

STAY AWAY FROM POSH AT ALL COST! They charged me over $400 to repair a watch, which was returned to me in exactly the same condition I gave it to them. They then sent it away again, charged me an additional large amount, and it still didn't work. I finally took it to Patco, WHERE IT WAS DETERMINED THAT THE ONLY PROBLEM WAS A WRONG-SIZED BATTERY!! Total cost of "repair": less than $10. When I went back to Posh to tell them what happened, the proprietor became extremely rude and didn't even apologize. How Posh stays in business I'll never know.

a-1561014212 Mar 09, 2019 04:03 PM
Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

Patco on E. Haley is the ONLY place to go. Honest, reasonable and competent! I have used him for years. Can't say enough good things.

mattyboy Mar 09, 2019 02:42 PM
Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

I'm curious to know what posters consider exorbitant or unreasonable in this area?

a-1561014212 Mar 09, 2019 01:43 PM
Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

Sadly, the not-quite-elderly jewelry repairing gent I knew from many many years ago packed up shop some time in the 90s. I think his hole-in-the-wall shop used to be located near the SW corner of State & Carrillo. Such a nice guy and exemplary work. There are many pieces in my jewelry box in need of repair, but nothing so valuable as to require costly work. Where have all the innately talented fix-it craftsman gone? I miss Ray's Welding (down by RR tracks) and also the small appliances fix-it shop which was located at the small shopping center where Spudnuts is (Carrillo & Bath). So many things go to the landfill which could be mended.

a-1561014212 Mar 09, 2019 04:41 PM
Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

Exorbitant or unreasonable in "this area" is difficult to define or assess. Do you mean in the area of the repair needed or in the area of Santa Barbara? Area of repair: It depends on the item repaired and the customer's satisfaction with the repair and charges remitted. Area of Santa Barbara: It pays to shop around, without a doubt. When it comes to finding good jewelry repair work here, though, I am confounded. The last time I had a piece of jewelry repaired I was upset when I saw the poor quality of the repair and wondering why I paid so much for a small repair that essentially added up to about 25% of the item's worth. Has the rate charged for jewelry repair kept up with the rate of inflation? Maybe I expect too much for too little.

a-1561014212 Mar 09, 2019 01:15 PM
Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

Curious, why does it being from Europe make it more delicate? Different materials? (I have zero jewelry knowledge)

REX OF SB Mar 09, 2019 10:53 AM
Jeweler Who Can Fix Old Pieces?

Here come the weekly recommendations for Patco on E. Haley Street. And for good reason: Patco is not only the best for things like this, but they won't screw you in the process.