Jerome Thomas Kay M.D.

(March 21, 1939 - September 15, 2017)

Surrounded by his adoring family, Jerome Thomas Kay passed away peacefully on September 15, 2017. Jerry was a loving husband, a devoted father and grandfather, a healer and a dear friend.

In 1970 Jerry moved to Santa Barbara with his family and opened his private practice where he served the community practicing family medicine for 47 years. He was deeply respected by his colleagues and beloved by generations of patients for his skill, genuine compassion and profound humility. Jerry developed a close relationship with St. Francis Hospital, where he served as Chief of Staff from 1983 - 1985. He also worked closely with Santa Barbara County Public Health and served as president of the Santa Barbara County Medical Society in 1994. In response to the emergence of Health Maintenance Organizations, and in an effort to preserve independent family doctors and their practices, Jerry founded a physicians group named Central Coast Independent Physicians Association in 1982. This group later changed its name to Santa Barbara Select I.P.A., where Jerry served as Board President until his death. Jerry retired from private practice on July 1, 2015, but continued to guide health care at Val Verde Retirement Community and make meaningful contributions to the community at large.

Read the full obituary here.

a-1511127572 Sep 23, 2017 01:24 PM
Jerome Thomas Kay M.D.

Dr. Kay was doctor to 3 generations of our family right up until his retirement. He was there for us in good times and bad. We will miss his wisdom, his warmth, his humor and most of all his friendship.

natfabs Sep 23, 2017 09:22 AM
Jerome Thomas Kay M.D.

My elderly mother moved up here with us in 2001. She had suffered for years with diarrhea that the gerontologists at her previous senior community could not resolve. One visit, ONE VISIT, to Dr. Kay and the problem was solved. He said sometimes a body shifts after a surgery and one can become lactose intolerant, and that was the issue. He was her doctor for many years and he was awesome.

mielemai Sep 23, 2017 09:21 AM
Jerome Thomas Kay M.D.

I knew Dr. Kay as Jerry in my CLL Spanish class. You knew if Jerry was there, you were in for a good laugh at least once or twice during class, as he'd crack jokes in both English and Spanish. I was so terribly heartbroken to hear of his passing as he was such a wonderful presence in class and meant so much to so many in our community.

cbilly Sep 23, 2017 09:05 AM
Jerome Thomas Kay M.D.

He was my doctor for ten years - he was always professional and seemed honestly concerned with the well being of patients. I rarely use websites to comment on people who have left us - but wanted to express my respect for Dr. Kay.

ARCHIE Sep 23, 2017 08:01 AM
Jerome Thomas Kay M.D.

Dr. Kay was back-up for when our family practice physician was on vacation. It was he who found my son's irregular heart beat and followed up which resulted in my 10 year old having open heart surgery, and having his life saved. I was able to thank Dr. Kay again when I saw him at Valle Verde a year ago. But this kind of gratitude is immeasurable.

EastBeach Sep 22, 2017 04:49 PM
Jerome Thomas Kay M.D.

Dr. Kay was my doctor for ages. As a not so healthy kid, he took care of me until my immune system finally kicked in. Like his predecessor, Dr. Cooper, he was patient and caring. I'll always hold Dr. Kay in the highest regard.