Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts title=
Photos from video surveillance of Juan Carlos Cerna (Photos: SBPD)

Source: Santa Barbara Police Department

On February 5, 2021, a subject stole a bicycle from the side yard of a residence in the 3700 block of San Remo. The owner of the bicycle provided the police with surveillance video of the incident. On the same day, the Santa Barbara Police Department received a report of a person who stole a package from a residence in the 3700 block of Lincolnwood Dr. That resident also had surveillance video of the suspect. Santa Barbara Police Detectives reviewed both cases and determined that the same suspect committed both thefts. Detectives and Officers recognized the suspect as Juan Carlos Cerna, a 26 year old Isla Vista resident. Cerna is on parole for burglary.

On February 17, 2021 SBPD Detectives, with the assistance of a Parole Agent, located and arrested Cerna, who was staying in the Isla Vista tent city. They arrested him for two counts of theft, two counts of prowling, and a violation of his parole. Cerna was found to be in possession of illegal brass knuckles, and was charged with a weapons violation as well.

The victims in both cases used social networking websites, such as Ring Neighbors, to see the crime trends in their neighborhood and recognize the mutual theft suspect. Ring Neighbors is an extension to the Ring surveillance system which allows residents to post videos of suspicious activity in their neighborhood and interface with SBPD Investigators. The use of modern “neighborhood watch” platforms help make a safer community. Please continue to contact the Santa Barbara Police Department at  805-882-8900, for any suspicious activity that is actively occurring or just occurred.

Juan Carlos Cerna (Photo: SBPD)

dc1023 Feb 23, 2021 07:46 PM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

So I just heard about this guys arrest.. when I saw his picture I realized he was on my property Feb. 10th around 10:15pm and I spoke to him. I didn’t recognize him as one of my tenants. He was acting suspiciously. He was wearing a dark hoodie with a hat, had a skateboard and a backpack. He said he was waiting for a friend from one of the upstairs units. Gave some random name that doesn’t belong to any of my tenants. Told him to leave the property or id call the cops. He said he would as soon as his friend came and then asked if he could go through a bin of recycled mail. I went inside for a few minutes. Came back out to walk the property and he was gone. A few days later my tenant came to me saying someone came into their home and stole their purse. I ran into the tenant today and asked how the investigation was going, they told me he was caught! Sure enough it’s the same guy I saw! He was casing out the place.
Trust your gut folks! When something feels off it’s because it is!

Henry Sarria Feb 23, 2021 10:26 PM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

DC1023, comes down to situational awareness & yeah, 100% correct, trust you gut & if something feels off... it's because it is. Was your neighbor 1 of the complainants in the case? The charges presented in the story kind of allude to that.
We have security doors in our building, but a while back, our neighbors used to prop them open or disengage the electronic locks.
I'd sometimes find people who had zero business in our building roaming around during weird hours, had a few interesting confrontations.
I basically had to go around & eliminate any & every means of propping the doors open & remove the lock disengage function from the door locks, now things are much safer.
Also, w/ the way things have recently gotten here in IV, the neighbors are being more cognizant of their surroundings.

Rypert Johnson Feb 23, 2021 09:33 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Alright, new day, new interesting facts. So Food Not Bombs Isla Vista took the gofundme to raise money for this guy to get a truck, right? Well, it IS gone from their facebook page, BUT... not the Bonfire Collective's facebook page! It's up & active!
By the way, I have to add, Bonfire Collective are "comrades" of the Food Not Bombs Isla Vista crew, more naive rich kids from wealthy suburbia trying to play democratic socialist anarchists. It's actually quite amusing to see the terms "comrades" and "revolution" and "uprising" being thrown around by these oh-so-educated silly kids and even funnier is their support for keeping the parks in Isla Vista full of people like Juanito here. Amazing what four years in a prestigious institution accomplishes!
In any case, here's the link to the gofundme and check out the donations and the a mounts. It's amazing to see all the support, all based on a sob story. Just unbelievable!

Rypert Johnson Feb 22, 2021 01:48 PM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Kangaroo parts? Seriously? I wasn't even aware thaat there's a market for that! But yes, I do recall that CA passed a bill against those a while back. But hey, Salud's doing it right! Focus on a meaningless cause that's already fixed, let the real problems slip by.

Henry Sarria Feb 21, 2021 06:52 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Rypert, I sense a bit of frustration on your part w/ a certain organization & their actions or intentions, but the real question to the problem of individuals such as Mr. Cerna & the "community" (tent city) in which he (& his wife) reside in lies in the origins of that community's formation.
As a long time IV resident, I saw the formation of that tent city, the crime its inhabitants introduced to the area & who supports & doesn't support the tent city.
Now we have a 2-fold situation here in IV. We have the "pallet village" which is run by Good Samaritan & truthfully, they're doing a decent job. BUT... then there's the People's Park tent city just on the other side of the pallet village fence, where people like Mr. Cerna & his cohorts reside & therein lies a HUGE problem.
If anyone's gonna thwart the efforts of Good Samaritan, it's the People's Park tent city occupants & their behavior/actions/activity.
The county was just as guilty in the birth of this aberration seen in Isla Vista, but it's the support of certain individuals that are affecting the situation in a negative manner.
However, I can't fault people wanting to do what they feel is right, but my only request of ANYONE willing to try & lend a hand is that they do their research on any of these individuals & their backgrounds before they try & offer help.
Mr. Cerna already had a history of bad behavior & was a recidivist, but individuals such as him will feed many "mistruths" to those willing to help in order to gain the benefits offered by those willing to help.
I took a look @ Mr. Cerna's facebook page, it was a train wreck that just kept going in a pattern that led him to where he is.
Could he have been helped? Could he be rehabilitated? The question lies in the individual him/herself & those outside offering help, they're vulnerable to the lies the subject(s), such as Mr. Cerna, are willing to use to get what they can.
In all, I don't have an answer to what you deem as the key contributor, but I can say it goes farther than just 1 organization & if anything, the county helped to create this mess.

Rypert Johnson Feb 24, 2021 10:37 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Henry Sarria, as a "long time Isla Vista resident" I know for a fact you're seeing what I'm seeing and yes, it IS frustrating! Thank you for understanding that sentiment.
I was born and raised in Isla Vista, my parents sold the house, they've moved on, but I stayed and since the formation of the tent city in Anisqoyo Park I have seen the decline of this place I have grown up in. It's DISGUSTING!
Want to know what else is disgusting? The fact that the "certain organization" I've harped on ad-nauseum supports the perpetuation of that mess we're seeing, not just in the park, but on the streets.
I'm sure in your long time tenure here you've seen some pretty crazy things, but seriously, have you seen aanything like this?
Sure, we've had our homeless such as Doug the Mayor, Leprechaun, Birdman, Turbo, Ropeman, Bruce, Clyde, etc. All nice, polite, reasonable people.
What we have now, meth and heroin junkies, hookers, violent and predatory criminals, all convinced the park is their permanent home.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens in June when they ALL get kicked out of the park, I bet you a "certain organization" will come forward to champion their "rights" to continue destroying the parks and surrounding area.
Again, I thank you for the understanding and in your wording, I hope when all this is done I can buy you a beer, should you ever want to meet up with me.
From the sentiment of some here and in the tent city, it could prove dangerous, but what's life when it's not on the edge? Have a good day sir.

Henry Sarria Feb 21, 2021 09:43 PM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Thank you A-1613928513, it's the least I can offer. I too feel Rypert's frustration as well. There's been attempts of theft on the property we live on & we see the tent city crowd casing places on our block. We keep a watchful eye & are ready to dish out whatever means necessary to deal w/ "problem children" any time.
The frustration is multi-level w/ many here in IV & I gotta say, something's gonna go terribly wrong @ any given point. People are starting to take matters into their own hands & that's a result of the current CoVid-19 situation & the mandates imposed by county government that limits what can be done w/ criminal elements.
Just spoke w/ a friend today, just down the street from us, practically across the street from the tent city. He had his prized motorized bicycle stolen by 1 of the well known tent city dwellers, he's got it on video. By the way, this is just right down the street from the IV Foot Patrol office. Shows the brazen nature of these individuals.
Not gonna lie, if I see the culprit on that bike, I will be forced to dish out what I can to get that bike back & this is where the problem lies, in the words of the later Norman "Killdozer" Heemeayer, "the kind(s) of things that make reasonable men do unreasonable things." It's where we're currently @.
Again, thank you for the kind words & I'll try as much as possible to report on the situation here on the ground.

Rypert Johnson Feb 22, 2021 10:26 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

A-1613774972, sorry for my overzealous approach in getting the point across, but somebody HAS to do it. I thank you for pointing out, as you did, my overzealousness, but the frustration level is high and well, you know the reasons why.
I have to see this mess, right by my apartment, as I walk on my way to work every day and it's disgusting. I invite you to come into Isla Vista and take a look.
The organization I'm exposing, they've even been taking roadtrips down to L.A. then picking up homeless and bringing them here to occupy the park so that it doesn't get cleared out and there's documented proof of this.
By the way, I saw there was a comment deleted that I think was a reply to you or me, it was probably derogatory, I don't know, didn't get to see it.
If it was directed at me, all good, no problem, if it was directed at you, rest assured, it wasn't from me. Just wanted to make that clear.
Again, I appreciate your response and it wasn't taken in a negative manner. I was just staying "on point" on the issue and pointing out the key contributor to the problem we're seeing.

Rypert Johnson Feb 19, 2021 11:47 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Juan Carlos Cerna is just the most recent of the fine "houseless neighbors" that Food Not Bombs Isla Vista cares more for than the actual community.
Do you all remember a fine, upstanding gentleman by the name of Loren Allen? He committed assault during an attempt to rob a woman by Haskall’s Beach. He punched her several times while trying to steal her property. The police found him hiding in the tent city in Anisq’Oyo Park. He’s not the only one.
There is also Paul Cardona who threatened a clerk with a knife while stealing merchandise from a Goleta tobacco shop. The police found him hiding in the tent city in Anisq’Oyo Park. See a pattern yet?
These are just some of the “houseless neighbors” that Food Not Bombs Isla Vista wants to keep living in OUR park… in OUR community…
Food Not Bombs Isla Vista has one goal and that is to simply destroy Isla Vista one "houseless neighbor" at a time at the expense of the community.

Rypert Johnson Feb 19, 2021 11:03 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

LOLOL! If you guys REALLY want a laugh, you should've checked out the Food Not Bombs Isla Vista facebook page. It seems that one of the "caring members" from "our community" (actually, from San Luis Obispo) started a gofundme to raise money for Mr. Cerna to get a truck so he can go into the painting business. That was Sunday, February 14, 2021.
They deem him as one of "our houseless neighbors" and feel he's been treated unfairly in life, so they set out to lift him up. The goal was $500 and they reached the goal, but honestly, I don't believe that's going to be enough for bail, especially for felony parole violation.
By the way, if you go on his facebook profile, on some of the comments in certain posts you'll see mention of a stolen dog and the owner of said dog asking him to return it, that was as recent as January 12, 2021.
On his wife's facebook page you'll see another stolen dog comment on a post from August 30. 2020 asking for her, or them, to return the dog. Seems like we got us a couple of career thieves.
Apparently, Food Not Bombs Isla Vista FINALLY did something good, they took the gofundme for Mr. Cerna down. I wonder if the money collected has been returned to the contributors?

Rypert Johnson Feb 22, 2021 03:16 PM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

CWANZY, in the tent city "community" that's in People's Park in Isla Vista, this kind of behavior and activity in encouraged and celebrated. Add to this the fact that there's people willing to give this guy creedence by offering excuses for his bad choices.
Apparently, he's the victim. What about those he stole from? Oh, that's right, they have jobs, they pay bills, they pay taxes and don't commit crimes, therefore, they mean nothing to those of this guy's ilk and those who support him .

Rypert Johnson Feb 22, 2021 10:19 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Well, if this isn't a welcome & pleasant surprise! The better half of the dynamic duo speaks! Thank you so much for offering the given insights with those wonderful comments and such. It's highly appreciated. So, let's address some of your well thought out comments. Here we go!

"this young man y’all wanna talk bad about has a very good heart !"

He may have a good heart, but health ins;t the issue here, it's criminal activity and he seems to be full of that! Let's hope he gets over that kind of behavior before something worse happens!

"if it wasn’t for him all those people living inside of the pallet homes is because of him not cause they wanted to be there He told them all the good opportunities that “program supposably said they were gonna do “"

So why wasn't he in that program for long? Oh, that's right, he didn't want to get a job and quit the drugs, two basic requirements of that program. He was in there, but they showed him the gate.

"those pics aren’t proof of nothing we’re the bike at ? Hmm exactly and honestly those packages could be his by all means"

This is THE most amusing part of your commentary! I had to wipe tears of laughter from my face after reading this! Thank you for the amusement! The pictures aren't proof? Seriously? Those packages could've been his? Where's the bike? I'm not even going to take the time to respond other than to say "repeat those words to yourself and let them sink in."

"I could as well put a report for invading our private privacy since y’all wanna be snoopy n chismosos about stuff that everyone wanna blame him for"

I hate to tell you this, but when a person, such as Juan Carlos Cerna for example, commits a crime, they become a subject of public record and the population has every right to look into their background as to know what they're up against. You won't find me, or many other "chismosos" on here in the "public record" domain because, unlike Juan Carlos Cerna, we haven't committed crimes.

" for all i know have no kids and neither does Juan so no we did not chose that “thug life” whatever you guys wanna call it over being parents so no that’ little girl is not our child !!!"

I hope this is true, not going to debate this, but I will take your word for that, simply out of compassion for a child w/ a "dad" that commits crimes.

"We’re Mexicans we work for living but y’all love to stereotype everyone who got tats , look gang related , not white , not dressed fancy !!! Y’all are the bad guys not JUANITO !"

Wait, wait, WAIT! Who on here said ANYTHING about race, ethnicity or nationality? Oh, that's right... YOU DID! Of course, that's a great smokescreen used by those related to a suspected party in order to deflect the fact that the suspected party DID do something illegal, such as stealing packages and bikes. You have to love the race card, so convenient when you want to defer from facts! NICE WORK! Very racist of you.
Then there's the "tats" and the "not dressed fancy" thing in there too. So many great people that have tats and don't dress nice in this world and want to know what they all have in common? They're NOT criminals!
By the way, I don't think he told you about recently getting caught stealing a bike here in Isla Vista. You better talk to your man, he's holding out on you!

"And I got a whole lot of people who can definitely testify that Juan and I are yes indeed “house less“ and living at the park in isla vista but at least that don’t stop us from going to work everyday Yes that’s right we work in a restaurant and yes that is how we make our money"

Nobody should be ashamed of being homeless, happens to MANY good people. The only problem is Juan Carlos Cerna chooses to keep committing crimes and that's the sad part. I'm glad you work in a restaurant, that is highly honorable work and I hope it gives you the foundation to lift yourselves out from that mess in People's Park. Just please... DON'T COMMIT CRIMES! Oops, too late, Juan Carlos Cerna did. I guess my message applies to you here.

"#freemyhusbandjuancarloscerna"

Sorry my dear, prisoners with a parole violation are locked up until their trial for concerns that they'll ether leave the area or go into hiding and commit more crimes in the process.

Here's some friendly advice that I hope you heed. Stop taking advice from Food Not Bombs Isla Vista, the park is NOT your permamnent home and you're NOT victims of anything except bad life choices.
We get it, you're mad at the cops for arresting him, the victims of his crimes for reporting him and commenters here for sharing verbage about this pathetic situation.
Those are true signs of the "professional victime" mentality that is prevalent in the "thug life" world. Then you throw the race card in the mix for good measure. THAT speaks VOLUMES!
I'm truly sad that you're in this situation. It truly saddens me. I walk past the tent city every day, I see the filth, squalor, activity and just have to wonder why ANYONE would choose that life.
I truly hope YOU lift yourself out of it, but all hope is lost on Jaunito, he will keep doing what he does. My guess is the high is better than living a good life, but when the high is the good life, no change can be expected.
By the way, I have to ask, did you guys ever return the stolen dog to its rightful owner? Asking for the rightful owner.

Selena Feb 22, 2021 02:02 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

yay ! Round of applause ! The way you wanna be running your big mouth makes you nothing better than Juan cerna makes you Worse at least I know this young man y’all wanna talk bad about has a very good heart !
And lemme tell you if it wasn’t for him all those people living inside of the pallet homes is because of him not cause they wanted to be there He told them all the good opportunities that “program supposably said they were gonna do “
And lemme tell you those pics aren’t proof of nothing we’re the bike at ? Hmm exactly and honestly those packages could be his by all means I didn’t see no one said they saw him creeping but how would I know and lets get this straight #1 stalking our Facebook pages Good job that’s a violation of my privacy And Juan’s private privacy what’s not to get about MY - FACE - BOOK !!!! Hmm I could as well put a report for invading our private privacy since y’all wanna be snoopy n chismosos about stuff that everyone wanna blame him for ... RIGHT ? #2 I for all i know have no kids and neither does Juan so no we did not chose that “thug life” whatever you guys wanna call it over being parents so no that’ little girl is not our child !!! And that wonderful amazing lady next to her is his grandma not his mother But like I said y’all love to assume facts !!!! How about instead of making up assumptions yall get your dumb facts straight !!! And I got a whole lot of people who can definitely testify that Juan and I are yes indeed “house less“ and living at the park in isla vista but at least that don’t stop us from going to work everyday Yes that’s right we work in a restaurant and yes that is how we make our money We’re Mexicans we work for living but y’all love to stereotype everyone who got tats , look gang related , not white , not dressed fancy !!! Y’all are the bad guys not JUANITO ! Dueces
Ps. The day you guys see a Mexican flagging a please help need food or money I’m homeless then y’all can talk your Till then goodbye
#freemyhusbandjuancarloscerna #stillloveyou #yallkeepstereotyping #stopthestereotyping #communityiscrap
RYPERT JOHNSON

Rypert Johnson Feb 19, 2021 12:19 PM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Agreed with that comment 100%, but "liberals" aren't the problem most "conservatives" speak of. It's the far wacky left, basically organizations like Food Not Bombs Isla Vista.
They "envision a world without police" and deem individuals such as mr. Cerna as good "houseless neighbors" that are entitled to make a mess of a community, while said community foots the bill to deal with their mess.
There was a time when "liberals" and "conservatives" worked together, but the sad fact to that is political extremes have dominated the political floor, thus the vast division we now see.
Put an end to the extremism, on EITHER side, move society forward to deal with the problems accordingly. I know, wishful thinking, but it has to start somewhere!

Lucky 777 Feb 18, 2021 10:00 PM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Two years ago here's what he was saying on Facebook: "All you can do is push forward You can’t let No one hold you back I’m better then what people thing you can’t put me down all you want but I’m still going to Keep my head up high and Shoot for the stuff i always wanted in life and reach my goals so those who put me down and always saying I never going to be anything in life I have one thing for you thank you for putting me down you just made me stronger and you just made your self look low so I don’t wish anything bad for you guys but your the ones that are always going to stay in the same spot because your way of make your self feel better is by putting other people down but remember we are all the same and we do the same thing so thank you for that but I wish you nothing but the best for you and you guys know who this is for so have a Good day I’m going up and you still in the same place you been."

ChillinGrillin Feb 18, 2021 09:37 PM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Notice how SBPD got him when he was living and probably doing most of the crimes in Sheriff jurisdiction. This is a common pattern. SB Sheriffs don't have designated detectives, they rotate deputies through the positions. It doesn't take a criminal justice degree or LE experience to see that's a stupid idea.

ChillinGrillin Feb 19, 2021 03:41 PM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

SBPD has longer rotations, better training, better pay and competent leadership. They are a better organization in every measurable sense. I have respect for law enforcement, I used to be in it. In that time, the SBSO was consistently unprofessional and sloppy. Even by their own abysmal standards. Their court testimony reminded me of listening to a security guard: they were there and equipped to use force but beyond that had a poor understanding of gang activity, historic crime trends and pretty much everything else. Don't even get me started on how they run the jail and mismanaged building the new North County boondoggle.

ConservativeSB Feb 19, 2021 09:09 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Grillin- speaking of stupid ideas... It also doesn't take a criminal justice degree nor LE experience to know that SBPD rotates their officers through the detective positions also. The only common pattern is another disparaging remark about a law enforcement agency.

Rypert Johnson Feb 19, 2021 11:41 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

D8VANILLA, to reference CHEMICALSUPERFREAK's comment about a certain latex item, apparently it wasn't implemented.
If you go to the top of Mr. Cerna's facebook page, you'll see a picture of a little girl with who seems to be the grandmother. The comment above the picture is "I miss you so very much!"
That's his daughter, whom he has abandoned so that he and the Mrs. can live out their thuglife fantasy living in a tent in People's Park with more of their ilk. Pathetic!

Rypert Johnson Feb 19, 2021 11:13 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Apparently, no, he didn't. On the top of his facebook profile is a picture of a little girl with what aappears to be the grandmother and the comment is "I miss you so very much!"
That's his offspring and sadly, she's been abandoned by him and his wife, her mother, all so they can live their thug life fantasy. Pathetic.

Rypert Johnson Feb 19, 2021 11:16 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Maybe not government sponsored, but definitely Food Not Bombs Isla Vista backed. They want to turn ALL of Isla Vista's parks into "safe camping zones" for people just like Mr. Cerna and they want the community to foot the bill because after all, socialism works great!

JB86 Feb 18, 2021 06:57 PM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Trying to find the positive here; at least the Sheriffs know where to start looking for petty thieves. The SO pretty much knows who lives in that squatter's camp, as well as a few others along the tracks in Goleta.
The problem here is that state rules kick these people loose immediately for property crimes. Guess what? They immediately re-offend, and never show for court dates. Que Sorpresa!

Rypert Johnson Feb 19, 2021 11:23 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Interesting you mention this. Local government is using CoVid-19 as an excuse for the following:

a) Keepig the "houseless neighbors" in the park in IV.

b) Not keeping criminals in jail.

It's a recipe for disaster... or is it? I heard a story a couple of weeks ago about some people in IV that beat the daylights out of a package thief they caught stealing a package from their dwelling. Word had it he also pulled a gun on them, they disarmed him and took matters into their own hands.
My point is, if criminals are being set free to go, then law abiding citizens taking the law into their own hands will be excusable as well. Maybe that needs to start happening?

Rypert Johnson Feb 19, 2021 11:24 AM
Isla Vista Tent City Resident Arrested for Multiple Thefts

Because Food Not Bombs Isla Vista is championing the rights of "our houseless neighbors" and want to make ALL parks in Isla Vista "safe camping zones" for more "houseless neighbors like Mr. Cerna and his ilk.

Pages