Is it Legal to Park in Someone Else's Driveway?

By an edhat reader

I read a report on Nextdoor from someone in my neighborhood that a man was parked in their driveway. He initially refused to leave citing, "the public has an easement for any driveway." Is this true?

Below is the full post by my neighbor:

40-45ish Caucasian male "Sean", shaved side of head, maybe 5 ' 9" 175#, seated in a black Jeep Wrangler with cracked windshield talking on the phone while parked in my driveway. I asked him what he was doing there, and he said he'd pulled off the road to be on the phone. I asked him to leave, and he said "Don't have to have attitude about it...I know the law and the public has an easement for any driveway." I asked him to leave again, and recited his license plate (something like CRF X 129). He hung up with his call, and left.

"Sean" is mistaken: you don't have the legal right to park in or in front of anyone else's driveway locally, and if the vehicle is abandoned, it can be towed at the owner's expense, plus the citation. Sean seemed angry and impulsive. Beware. I have reported this information to the police.

therealbebe Jan 05, 2019 10:17 AM
Is it Legal to Park in Someone Else's Driveway?

That is truly weird. Parking in someone else's driveway is bizarre. I can see stopping briefly - in front of the easement, along the street - if there is an emergency call to make/a child spills her juice all over the place/etc., but this guy is off his rocker.

salsa guy Jan 05, 2019 08:14 AM
Is it Legal to Park in Someone Else's Driveway?

I live on a street on the lower Rivera where parking is always a challenge. At one point we had two houses being remodeled with lots of contractors. They were all pretty decent about parking except for one jerk. He tried to pull the right to park in front of a driveway when I asked him to leave. I told he had to leave now or he would be towed. He got upset because I confronted him and wanted to rumble. No problem on my end. His contractor finally came over and told him he was out line and to move his truck. People are just plain stupid sometimes

a-1546671905 Jan 04, 2019 11:05 PM
Is it Legal to Park in Someone Else's Driveway?

If I saw a stranger parked in the easement to my driveway, I would ask him if he needed directions or help in any way. If he reacted badly and got aggro or snotty about it, I would ask him to move along, please and not block my easement. Then I'd get on with the rest of my day. Things are difficult nowadays, with too many people and each and everyone of us so quick to take offense. Personally, I think it's good "Sean" stopped to make his call. His choice of parking? Not great, but . . . hey . . . is it really worth getting into it with a person who reacts badly and probably enjoys causing drama? I think not. Was he blocking your ingress/egress at that very moment? And, after reading speculation made re: Sean's identity, if any part of what has been written is true, the dude is more to be pitied than censured. He sounds like a very sad and upset individual. Let it go. ********* To clarify is it legal or not: The part of "your" driveway located between the curb and the sidewalk is public easement, City owned. That said, NO ONE is allowed to park there for any great length of time, that includes residents of the property. "Great length of time" being long hours or days. Despite the fact that we see residents all over town parking during the day and overnight in their driveway easements, it's not legal.

oceandrew Jan 04, 2019 07:18 PM
Is it Legal to Park in Someone Else's Driveway?

Just goes to show if someone gives you an argument with enough conviction (ie a bold faced lie without blinking) he's earned at least an hour until you figure out he's full of manure and you should've sent him packing an hour ago. Heck it can even get you elected to the highest office in the land.

a-1546656150 Jan 04, 2019 06:42 PM
Is it Legal to Park in Someone Else's Driveway?

Sounds like this may be the same Sean who lived/lives on the Mesa. He would talk up how the surf was always small, but when the big swells come through he always has "the flu." He is infamous for consuming 2/3 of a meal, then refusing to pay for an assortment of reasons. He was booted from sbcc several years ago for "snorffling" (sp?) bicycle seats. Trustafarian I believe.

Roger Jan 04, 2019 05:13 PM
Is it Legal to Park in Someone Else's Driveway?

Thanks for telling all of is who this guy is...There was a guy taking a dump in my driveway saying it's was perfectly legal too till I threatened to have his arrested for trespassing..

a-1546644253 Jan 04, 2019 03:24 PM
Is it Legal to Park in Someone Else's Driveway?

Your driveway is still private property, even if it appears open to the street. And no one is allowed to park on the part where a driveway crosses a sidewalk, because that blocks the use of the public sidewalk. So, no, the public has no easement to private driveways.

REX OF SB Jan 04, 2019 03:20 PM
Is it Legal to Park in Someone Else's Driveway?

Sean sounds like a real class act. He has no right to park in anyone's driveway for any reason without permission. He and his hoopty can be towed immediately.