Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project Update
Timeframe: November 5 - 11, 2017
“This week, we are pleased to have early openings for the new northbound Highway 101 bridge over Carpinteria Creek and the new northbound off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road. Right after opening the new bridge and off-ramp, crews began removing the old northbound bridge. I’m impressed by the work of our construction team, contractor, and partners to continue the fast pace of this project and make improvements for the traveling public.” - Caltrans District 5 Director Tim Gubbins.
Highway 101 night closures
- Between Monday and Thursday nights, Highway 101 will have closures between Bailard and Linden Avenues to allow for the installation of falsework beams for a new portion of the Casitas Pass Road Overcrossing. Crews will also repair damaged concrete panels on Highway 101.
- Beginning Monday night, alternating northbound Highway 101 lanes will close beginning at 8:00 pm with both northbound lanes closed from 10:00 pm until 5:00 am.
- Once work is finished on the northbound side, southbound Highway 101 will be closed with alternating lanes closed beginning at 8:00 pm and both southbound lanes closed from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am (likely Wednesday and Thursday nights).
- A signed detour will be in place using Bailard, Carpinteria, and Santa Ynez Avenues (see map below).
Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road
- Northbound freeway traffic shifted onto the new Highway 101 northbound bridge over Carpinteria Creek and the off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road opened Nov. 1st.
The blue arrows above show the area of the new northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road now open. Via Real connects to Casitas Pass Road to the left of the image.
Carpinteria Creek Bridges
- Highway 101 Bridges
- Southbound bridge: Wood form work for the back walls will be removed, and grading to backfill soil near the new bridge will occur. Crews will also work on forming, installing rebar, and pouring concrete for the approach areas.
- Via Real Bridge
- Work on the safety barrier rail will continue on the new bridge.
- Drainage improvements continue.
- Crews will also prepare the creek for the winter and remove a dewatering system that was in place to enable the construction of the new bridges.
Casitas Pass Road Overcrossing
- Crews will continue setting falsework for the new overcrossing. Based on the requirements for setting falsework beams and the constrained working area, nighttime closures will be needed on Highway 101. After setting falsework, construction will begin on the underside of the bridge (soffit) and internal vertical supports (stems).
Linden Avenue Overcrossing
- Crews will continue form work and installing rebar in preparation for a concrete pour for the mountain-side support (abutment).
- Drainage and irrigation work continues for the new on and off-ramps at Casitas Pass Road, median, shoulder areas, and along Casitas Pass Road near the construction yard.
- Work progresses to installing internal supports (stems) for the new retaining wall on southbound Highway 101 between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road. This work precedes upcoming sound wall work.
- The Highway 101 southbound off-ramp at Casitas Pass will be closed throughout the week from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm for large equipment and wall work.
Carpinteria Creek Bike Path
- The Carpinteria Creek bike path will remain closed for bridge work. There is a free EasyLift shuttle during the closure that runs between San Roque Mobile Estates and Rancho Granada Mobile Home Park (on Via Real) and Carpinteria Avenue (at Eugenia Ave, Palm Ave, Albertson’s, and City Hall) between 7:30 - 9:00 am and 2:00 - 5:30 pm every half hour. Please see on-site shuttle signs for more schedule information or click on: http://www.sbroads.com/
Upcoming Work: Fall 2017
- Sewer realignment work in preparation for the Nipomo Drive sound wall.
- Carpinteria Valley Water District will install a new water line on Linden Avenue in preparation for the new Linden Avenue Overcrossing. Once the overcrossing is built, the water line will be connected over the new bridge.