Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project Update
Timeframe: July 30 - August 5, 2017
Carpinteria Creek Bridges
- Crews will continue footing, rebar and form work before pouring concrete for the above-ground, side supports (abutments) and walls for the Via Real and Highway 101 bridges over Carpinteria Creek. Form and false work on the underside (the soffit) of the Via Real bridge continues.
- Drainage improvements continue.
Carpinteria Creek Bike Path
- The Carpinteria Creek bike path will remain closed until late fall 2017 for bridge work at Via Real and Highway 101. There is a free EasyLift shuttle during the closure that runs between San Roque Mobile Estates and Rancho Granada Mobile Home Park (on Via Real) and Carpinteria Avenue (at Eugenia Ave, Palm Ave, Albertson’s, and City Hall) between 7:30 - 9:00 am and 2:00 - 5:30 pm every half hour. Please see on-site shuttle signs for more schedule information.
- Vegetation will be removed in preparation for new sound walls on southbound Highway 101 between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road and northbound behind Nipomo Drive homes.
- The Highway 101 southbound off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will be closed Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm and between 8:00 pm and 5:00 am. During night work from Monday to Thursday, the southbound Highway 101 slow lane between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be closed in this area. One Highway 101 southbound lane will remain open during night work.
- Installation of roadway sub-grade and base begins in the median east of the Carpinteria Creek bridges.
- Drainage improvements are ongoing in the median, shoulder areas, and along Casitas Pass Road near the construction yard.
Upcoming Work: August/September
Casitas Pass Road
- The southbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass will close for up to 2 weeks for ramp and shoulder improvements.
- The sidewalk at the corner of Linden Avenue and Ogan Road will be closed for retaining wall work. Pedestrians can use the temporary sidewalk detour on Pacific Village Drive connecting to Linden Avenue.
- Crews will repair damaged concrete panels on Highway 101 northbound and southbound lanes and ramps at night. The existing panels are degraded due to weather.
- North of Linden Avenue, behind Nipomo Drive, there will be sewer realignment work to prepare for the new sound wall.
About the Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road overcrossings.
Construction will occur from fall 2016 through 2020. Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. Highway 101 will have nighttime closures to allow for safety barrier placement and to prepare for bridge construction and demolition. Linden Avenue will be closed over Hwy 101 for approximately 3 weeks in 2018. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.