Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project Update
Timeframe: July 16 - 22, 2017
New Freeway Overcrossings
- The settlement period for the dirt embankment leading up to the new bridge (on the beach side of the freeway) is ongoing.
Casitas Pass Road
- Crews will continue rebar and form work for concrete installation in the side supports (abutments).
Carpinteria Creek Bridges
- Crews will remove upstream portions of the bridges between Monday and Thursday nights as needed.
- Beginning Monday night from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am, northbound Highway 101 will be closed. Once demolition of the northbound bridge portion is complete, crews will shift to the southbound Highway 101 bridge.
- During demolition of the southbound bridge, southbound Highway 101 and the northbound fast lane will be closed (as demolition is occurring in the median) from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am.
- During the night closures, the crane will also be moved to accommodate bridge pile driving. If demolition is completed early, the relocation of the crane will only require alternating Highway 101 lane closures with one lane remaining open in each direction.
- During the northbound and southbound Highway 101 closures, detours will be signed along Bailard Avenue, Carpinteria Avenue, Santa Ynez Avenue, and Santa Monica Road (see map below).
- Crews will continue rebar and form work before pouring concrete for the above-ground, side supports (abutments) and walls for the Via Real and Highway 101 bridges over Carpinteria Creek. Piles will also be driven, and footing areas for the bridges will be excavated. Falsework will be erected for future bridge deck construction.
- Pile driving occurs between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm weekdays to limit nighttime noise. Pile driving is scheduled for Monday and Tuesday.
- Drainage improvements continue.
Carpinteria Creek Bike Path
- The Carpinteria Creek bike path will remain closed until late fall 2017 for bridge work at Via Real and Highway 101. There is a free EasyLift shuttle during the closure that runs between San Roque Mobile Estates and Rancho Granada Mobile Home Park (on Via Real) and Carpinteria Avenue (at Eugenia Ave, Palm Ave, Albertson’s, and City Hall) between 7:30 - 9:00 am and 2:00 - 5:30 pm every half hour. The shuttle is wheelchair accessible and accommodates two bikes. The shuttle schedule will add a stop at Rancho Granada Mobile Home Park starting June 26th along with extended hours. There will be on-site shuttle signs with more schedule information.
- Drainage improvements are ongoing in the median, shoulder areas, and along Casitas Pass Road near the construction yard.
Upcoming Work: July/August
Casitas Pass Road
- The southbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass will close for up to 2 weeks for ramp and shoulder improvements.
- The sidewalk at the corner of Linden Avenue and Ogan Road will be closed for retaining wall work. Pedestrians can use the temporary sidewalk detour on Pacific Village Drive connecting to Linden Avenue.
- Sound wall work will begin along southbound Highway 101 (between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road) with vegetation clearing and temporary fencing.
- Crews will repair damaged concrete panels on Highway 101 northbound and southbound lanes and ramps at night. The existing panels are degraded due to weather.
- North of Linden Avenue, behind Nipomo Drive, there will be sewer realignment work to prepare for the new sound wall.
About the Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road overcrossings.
Construction will occur from fall 2016 through 2020. Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. Highway 101 will have nighttime closures to allow for safety barrier placement and to prepare for bridge construction and demolition. Linden Avenue will be closed over Hwy 101 for approximately 3 weeks in 2018. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.