How Well Do You Know Fungi? title=

By John P.

Hello Edhat and neighbors, I am looking to know my fungi better..My field guides are on their way... I have photographed some specimens to identify. Please Help.. Photos are numbered . I am not consuming any of these... I am just curious what's around here... also does anyone know if  Bob Cummings is doing any lectures anytime soon?

Emmenanthe Jan 29, 2019 08:05 AM
How Well Do You Know Fungi?

Nice photos, poster, and thank you for sharing your questions. And thank you Bobby, for the IDs (tentative and otherwise). I look at the fungi, but don't trust my keying, so this is great.

Dr. Bob C. Jan 28, 2019 09:31 AM
How Well Do You Know Fungi?

Bob C. here. Can't ID specimens with any certainty from photos alone. Need "key characteristics", which can include bruising color changes, smell, spore color, etc., as well as gross morphology. Field guides with keys are essential, and even then it is not always possible to be sure. One needs to develop considerable expertise before deciding to eat wild mushrooms. Possible IDs for the photos submitted: #1 is Agaricus, possibly A. californicus. Look for yellow staining at the very base of the stem and a phenolic (like bandaids) smell. #2 looks like Chlorophyllum brunneum. Look for orange bruising in the stem, and that it was not growing in a lawn. #3 is Lactarius alnicola, mycorrhizal with coast live oak, and it produces a white latex (visible as droplets) when gills are injured. Extremely peppery taste, but latent to develop. #4 looks like Polyporus (can't quite see if those are pores or gills on the bottom). Grows on wood. #5 might be Entoloma ferruginans, if it smells like chlorox bleach and was growing under live oak. #6 is Russula, maybe R. cremicolor. Hard to key to species. #7 and 8 might be Bolbitius titubans, but cap and stem when fresh are egg yolk-yellow, then fade to tan. Grows in grass. #9 is Psathyrella longipes, common in grass. #10 is the same Agaricus as #1, A. californicus. It appears to show some yellow staining. Should have a phenolic smell. Now that you have some possible names as a starting point, be sure to run these through the keys in your field guides and learn those "key characteristics".

Potif Jan 30, 2019 04:27 PM
How Well Do You Know Fungi?

In general, I ignore the down votes now. Especially when there are just a few down votes. .

PitMix Jan 30, 2019 03:22 PM
How Well Do You Know Fungi?

People abusing the downvoting process for their own strange reasons. Such a drag.

monkeyboy Jan 29, 2019 09:13 AM
How Well Do You Know Fungi?

WTF is wrong with edhat? Bob C literally comes in here as requested by the poster and does his very best to ID these mushrooms from photos. For this effort, he gets 2 downvotes?

ParvoPup Jan 27, 2019 08:42 PM
How Well Do You Know Fungi?

There are at least 3 places in Hope Ranch that have Magic Mushrooms growing on their lots. The current Owners are mostly oblivious as these spores were probably dropped by the stoner kid of some Owner in the late 60's.

Red Creek Jan 27, 2019 08:35 PM
How Well Do You Know Fungi?

Bob gave two fungi walks at Arroyo Hondo Preserve this past weekend. He frequently does these lecture tours there. Check the Santa Barbara Land Trust website for more information and future tours.

EastBeach Jan 27, 2019 02:55 PM
How Well Do You Know Fungi?

Fun looking fungi! I applaud the OP's interest. To the first two respondents, the OP said ... "I am not consuming any of these... I am just curious what's around here".

a-1568866779 Jan 27, 2019 01:29 PM
How Well Do You Know Fungi?

Bob Cummings used to be listed in the White Pages. You could try calling him. You sure went to a lot of trouble to show us all of these. In the end, photograph and enjoy but, and I suspect Bob may say this to you, too: Just don't eat them.

a-1568866779 Jan 27, 2019 01:11 PM
How Well Do You Know Fungi?

I hope this is for educational and not digestive purposes. 3 looks a like a false chanterelle, but I don’t know much.