How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

Reads 2091

By an edhat reader

I wanted to ask for advice and suggestions on what to do about a car with an oil leak that is frequently parked on the street near where I live. The car is usually parked late at night on weekends and is left for a couple of days, but never over 72 hours.

It does not belong to any neighbors on the street that I am aware of. The driver of this car is dropped off and picked up by someone driving a second car. The driver of the car is aware of the oil leak as he has been asked to not park on a nearby adjacent street recently as the car had leaked oil there.

Is there a law against this type of thing? Is this a city water quality issue? Asking the driver to park somewhere else will only move the problem elsewhere and annoy someone else. I would like to know if there are better solutions. Thanks.

biguglystick Nov 12, 2017 01:49 PM
How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

How about realizing that THIS IS A PUBLIC STREET AND PEOPLE CAN PARK THEIR CARS THERE IF THEY WANT TO AND THAT A LITTLE OIL ISN'T GOING TO HURT ANYONE? I swear, I have really had it with people in Santa Barbara who think they OWN the street. You DON'T. We have a new neighbor that bought the house next door. He tells us constantly that he doesn't want people parking in front of "his property". Well, guess what, you entitled twit, it's a PUBLIC STREET and any member of the public can park there.

Luvaduck Nov 10, 2017 08:11 AM
How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

Slide a flattened box under the leak. Maybe the driver will put 2 and 2 together, see the problem and begin to carry cardboard himself. Long shot but possible if it's someone who doesn't lack awareness, intelligence and a sense of communal/environmental responsibility just lacks money.

LocalMatt Nov 10, 2017 05:38 AM
How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

Last time I checked asphalt is made from rock, sand, and get this!! OIL. But seriously people illegally dump toxic chemicals on the street everyday. These oil stains on the ground are very minor.

mattyboy Nov 09, 2017 06:57 PM
How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

You could put a tray under the leaky spot, or offer a tray to them to put under it wherever they go. Some leaks are very expensive to repair, and I'm guessing this isn't a person of great financial means.

therealbebe Nov 09, 2017 06:48 PM
How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

Public street. The car owner is adhering to the laws. Only thing you can do is find a different hobby.

a-1511127049 Nov 09, 2017 01:00 PM
How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

I had a pick up truck that liked to leave it's mark, much like old Harleys do. But I sure didn't have the $1200+ to get it fixed and when I did it cost me twice that coz I first took it to Ayer's where they "fixed" everything but the leak... but I digress. The point is that nobody leaves the oil leak valve open on purpose and hassling a stranger over a bit of spotting on the roadway is no way to make friends and influence people. And as for this being a contributor to pollution on the par with the Exxon Valdez oil spill... I call "bull$#i1".

CivilEngineer Nov 09, 2017 04:17 PM
How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

From Massachussets Water Quality folks, "Oil that leaks from our cars onto roads and driveways is washed into storm drains, and then usually flows directly into a lake or stream. Used motor oil is the largest single source of oil pollution in lakes, streams, and rivers. Americans spill 180 million gallons of used oil each year into the nation's waters. This is 16 times the amount spilled by the Exxon Valdez in Alaska!" Since we use 377 million gallons a day, that is 0.13% of the total, or a pretty small amount. So could be reasonable. Let science be your friend.

CivilEngineer Nov 09, 2017 12:13 PM
How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

I would call the City water quality people. They were called when a neighbor was dumping their sump water into the street and they went out and talked to the guy and he stopped. If they can see a car parked there and dripping oil, I think they can help. They used to say that oil washing off into the oceans each year accounts for more pollution that was spilled from Exxon Valdez. The street cleaning they do is part of addressing the ocean pollution problem.

a-1511127049 Nov 09, 2017 10:52 AM
How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

No, there is not anything you can do at all and the post about Parking Enforcement doing something is not true. Please don't waste our taxpayer money by making these people have to explain that to you they have other things to tend to.

a-1511127049 Nov 09, 2017 10:15 AM
How to Get Rid of An Oil Leaking Car?

Probably nothing you can do legally as you would have to prove that that car, to the exclusion of all other cars, is responsible for depositing the toxic waste (motor oil). There are any number of "novel" things you can do...put traffic cones out, slash a couple of tires, super glue door locks shut...you know...old school "how do you do...welcome to the hood."