How Naturalized is Your Garden?

By TwoScoops

Time for gardening!  Rain has helped, and Spring is warming things up.

Do you have bulbs or other plants that come up year after year?  I do.  And, it keeps evolving.  Right now, I have 4 sunflower plants that are growing.  I do welcome wild birds, so they might have helped along the way, in and out of  the digestion track.  We allow plants that blow in with the wind or brought in by birds. Irregular groups or individuals are scattered across our landscape.  Most everything is welcome to grow.  Our garden is random and naturalized.  If birds bring the seeds, and the plants grow, then there's more food for the birds.  They know what they like.

We removed all grass from our yard several years ago.  We mostly left open areas for volunteer plants, and it has been very exciting to see what has happened.  We don't strangle nature into compliance of some master plan in our heads.  Waiting to see what happens is not all bad.  Patience helps, too.

Roger Mar 20, 2018 10:28 AM
How Naturalized is Your Garden?

I once poured a pint of vodka down a gopher hole and did not see the old booger for 6 months...

a-1524666293 Mar 18, 2018 08:23 AM
How Naturalized is Your Garden?

Behavioralceutical rather than pharmaceutical. Peace can be had by working in the garden and doing physical work. The most famous ecotherapist in the world, Linda Buzzell, is right here in Santa Barbara.

a-1524666293 Mar 17, 2018 03:13 PM
How Naturalized is Your Garden?

Mike Tully owner of Terra Sol Nursery and Matt Buckmaster owner of Island Seed & Feed, knowledgeable plant people. Both good if you need to identify a volunteer plant in your garden. "Out of the box" thinkers/gardeners go to both of these people for advice.

a-1524666293 Mar 17, 2018 02:46 PM
How Naturalized is Your Garden?

I guarantee that if I left my back yard alone it would be 98% Oxalis (sour grass) within one year. That said, I yank out Oxalis and never use pesticides. Pesticide-free house and yard for over five decades.

a-1524666293 Mar 17, 2018 01:43 PM
How Naturalized is Your Garden?

We also pulled out all of our lawns and put in native and/or low-water consumption plants. So glad we did because our water bills are now about 1/3 what they used to be, plus we are helping the environment by having a sanctuary for birds, bees, butterflies, lizards, and such. I wish everyone would do this in Santa Barbara, especially those who continue to maintain and water their lawns - shame on you! When there's no water don't come crying to me asking for water from my rain barrels for your lawns and pools. Sorry.....

a-1524666293 Mar 21, 2018 11:05 PM
How Naturalized is Your Garden?

lol! Bird of a feather! But I only store 615 gallons. My fruit trees have gotten hundreds of gallons of water this week. My yard is a forest of CA poppies. Bulbs planted years ago by deceased family members abound. But be careful what the birds plant. The authorities won't let you remove anything, and licensed, insured tree cutters ask for a permit. On the other hand, I have a loquat tree planted by birds.

edwardchapeau Mar 17, 2018 01:17 PM
How Naturalized is Your Garden?

So, to the question "How does your garden grow?", the answer is leave it alone and see what happens. Great!

a-1524666293 Mar 17, 2018 12:51 PM
How Naturalized is Your Garden?

A good Santa Barbara resource for random gardening ideas is Larry Saltzman at saltzmanforest@gmail.com or (805) 451-4168. He's the chapter president of California Rare Fruit Growers.