How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

By Van Do-Reynoso, MPH, PhD, Director, Santa Barbara County, Department of Public Health

It is still very important that everyone adhere to 10 important tips to prevent getting and spreading the coronavirus.  Take a few moments to familiarize yourself with these steps and share them with family, friends and co-workers!

1. Clean your hands often, either with soap and water for 20 seconds or a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

2. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. If you have been in large crowds or around new people, be very cautious and stay away from the vulnerable until you are absolutely sure you did not contract the virus.

3. Put distance of at least six feet between yourself and other people.

4. Everyone must wear a cloth face cover that covers their nose and mouth when they go out in public.

• Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.

5. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.

6. Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces daily.

7. Stay at home as much as possible, especially if you are not feeling well.

8. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.

9. Be alert for symptoms. Watch for fever, cough, shortness of breath, or other symptoms of COVID-19.

• Especially important if you are running essential errands, going into the office or workplace, and in settings where it may be difficult to keep a physical distance of six feet

10. Call your doctor if you have symptoms of COVID-19 - Be sure to call your doctor before going to their office.

For more information about how you can prevent getting and spreading the coronavirus and what steps the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department is taking to protect our communities, please visit: https://publichealthsbc.org/.

Van Do-Reynoso, MPH, PhD is the Director for the Santa Barbara County Department of Public Health.  She oversees the County’s health centers, health care programs, disease prevention and health promotion, environmental health, EMS Agency/Preparedness and Animal Control.

a-1595788357 Jul 26, 2020 11:32 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

I think we need to add one more real cause of transfer--people are wearing gloves going into markets,
touching things in shops, etc. Saw a woman keep them on, while driving with her mask on as well.
Welcome to her car. Please tell people one has to change their gloves in case they had contact with a surface and droplets--including cash, packages, car doors etc. Hand washing is better than gloves say the real experts over and over again.
This is now pseudo-science got mad. The real thing to do --get into a closet and wait 2 years--have no contact. Put the elderly there until they die of "natural causes". This is what is happening to our elderly in nursing homes--isolation and deprivation of any contact. They could meet outdoors with masks. Wonder if they would rather die now? All this masked people fogging up nursing home windows --and wearing gloves contaminated. Pressure to live because you will not get a funeral!
Watched the cash register person also touch their face with glove. Boost your immune system with good stuff ( A, B, C,E) foods as a start and "wash your hands of all this nonsense now"
We know politics is blaming the President--maybe that should stop too? The gloves are OFF there for good reasons. Recall where this comes from every day!

GeneralTree Jul 26, 2020 12:24 PM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Why would anyone blame the president. He claimed the virus was not an issue months ago. So I'm surprised that your talking about this virus like there is any sort of real issue. What virus?

sandy1 Jul 26, 2020 11:24 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Boy my hands and not so much other areas have been itching like crazy since my last grocery delivery ...

Crystalandmaui Jul 26, 2020 09:32 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

One more thing to mention, as I went for a walk with my dog yesterday at the park in carpinteria , yes I wore my mask the whole time. The younger people age around 20 to 25, did not have a mask on, as they walked down the street in groups, I would move off the side walk, they would look at me and laugh as if I had two heads. They were in disbelief that I moved away from them. There you go they still aren’t on board of believing this is deadly or that they can get it, and also pass it on to someone else.

ChrisL Jul 29, 2020 07:11 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Bravo CrystalandMaui! You are an essential volunteer -- modeling the only medically correct behavior we have when in public. I wish some local Good Samaritans would create a T-shirt for a sort of walking Neighborhood Watch that said on front AND back "MASK, MEET FACE = SAFER PLACE!" And maybe take a page from all the brave witnesses to brutality or rogue policing--carry and use a smart phone camera. Edhat should encourage posting those videos.

lopezmr22 Jul 26, 2020 08:35 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Not even a mention of staying active to keep your immune system up. No, just stay inside and suppress that immune system. Never mind the home is a top vector for spreading infections.

shorebird Jul 25, 2020 11:07 PM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Some of us learn from the mistakes of others. The rest of us have to be the others. Do you want to be a learner or an other?

a-1595740720 Jul 25, 2020 10:18 PM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Best way to prevent getting this infection is to stay away from the 0.004% in the city who currently have active cases. The other 99.99% of the people on the streets right now are just fine.

Potif Aug 04, 2020 03:58 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Don’t forget, some people don’t know they have it, and are contagious BEFORE any symptoms show up, and symptoms don’t show up in everyone.... but are still contagious.

Potif Aug 04, 2020 03:56 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

I’m good with that! BUT, ONLY as long as ANYONE who is contagious wears something that identifies them as being contagious with Covid19.

MountainMan4865 Jul 25, 2020 09:45 PM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Lawyers, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the federal government, nor the state can legally mandate facemasks, hence the apparent waffling. They're going to rely on bottom tier, social shaming. All the major corporations just backtracked on their demand of mandatory facemaskes as well. I'm not speaking against them, but just stating the fact that I don't believe there is any legislative authority to mandate them. By the way... did you know that Washington, DC is actually a corporation, with its own, separate, police force? So is London and Rome. Just for fun, look it up.

ChrisL Jul 29, 2020 07:19 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

THANKS for rational thinkers! Policymakers should actively promote modeling the only medically correct behavior we have when in public. I.E. a sort of walking Neighborhood Watch wearing "MASK, MEET FACE = SAFER PLACE!" T-shirts. And maybe take a page from all the brave witnesses to brutality or rogue policing--carry and use a smart phone camera. Edhat should encourage posting those videos.

RHS Jul 26, 2020 06:36 PM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Here's another lawyer telling you that the government/The People can create laws that protect the general public from people who engage in risky behavior. We can mandate seat belt laws, we can mandate no smoking areas, we can mandate sanitation rules in restaurants, we can enforce rules against child labor, we can set minimum wages, we can prohibit dumping of waste in public places, we can...but this is just nonsense. Your question is absurd and only credible among those who want to pretend the current administration is not incompetent.

SandyS Jul 26, 2020 09:33 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

They can in fact. I am also a lawyer. No different from wearing shoes and shirts, and probably even more critical considering we are in a pandemic. It's not arbitrary and capricious and directly tied to public health emergency.

a-1595737486 Jul 25, 2020 09:24 PM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Yale epidemiologist today also found multiple large studies of hydroxychloroquinine is effective for prevention when taken at the early stages of "covid" infection. Cuts down the viral load in the early stages and keeps it from overwhelming the system. He also regrets politics played such a role in medical research and recommendations to make this topic politically taboo. Most likely you will need to research this story as most mainstream media will not carry it.

GeneralTree Jul 26, 2020 10:57 AM

a-1595752899 Jul 26, 2020 01:41 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

One Yale epidemiologist spoke to Laura Ingraham. I will assume you're referring to this article? It must be this article. It's undated, but says "published 4 days ago." https://www.foxnews.com/media/hydroxychloroquine-could-save-lives-ingraham-yale-professor

a-1595751291 Jul 26, 2020 01:14 AM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

Why can't you provide a link or what to search in order to find what you're referring to? We'd appreciate it.

macpuzl Jul 25, 2020 11:17 PM

Wrong.

SilverSurfer Jul 25, 2020 07:38 PM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19? Stop watching TV, reading magazines, & listening to NPR. Go out & create your own reality.

a-1595732006 Jul 25, 2020 07:53 PM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

I believe that's known as fantasy, or magical thinking, if one can even apply the word "thinking" to such an inane statement.

ChemicalSuperFreak Jul 25, 2020 06:24 PM
How Do I Prevent Getting COVID-19?

M-CUBED: Pretty much the situation this many months in. Most of the world's population has been presented this list, over and over. Reminds me of when there's a heat wave and the news tells people to stay indoors with AC, drink water and don't leave pets and children in hot cars. At some point there comes a time when guidance doesn't work and people have to deal with consequences.