Dear Edda,

This coronavirus is really stressing me out. I've already gone to Costco and stocked up on toilet paper, disinfectant wipes, and water. My husband says I'm overreacting but the news reports state otherwise. Do you have any advice on how to prevent catching this awful virus?

Sincerely,
Scared of Getting Sick

---

Dear Scared,

First off, let me tell you one thing I know for sure.  Being scared, stressed or panicked only results in making bad decisions.

Second, according to the CDC website, WASH YOUR HANDS. DON’T SNEEZE ON PEOPLE. STAY HOME IF YOU’RE SICK. You know, common sense. But as we all know, common sense is not that common. And now, the Governor has issued a "shelter-in-place" order so, you know, stay at home.

Now I have a question for you.  Toilet paper? Why toilet paper? Why is it gone from the shelves of the supermarket, CVS and Costco?  Do all of you stockpilers know something I don’t know?  Is there a gastro-intestinal component of the virus that people are too polite to talk about?  Are you all shareholders of Charmin?

When I am faced with the idea of being isolated from society and anticipate the onset of a pandemic/zombie apocalypse, I mostly focus on having enough of those little pretzels with peanut butter inside from TJ’s. But that’s just me.

And one more thing. Regardless of the valuable information circulating on social media, Tito’s vodka is not a suitable hand sanitizer substitute (there is a disclaimer on their website, for cryin’ out loud!).

Although, it apparently costs less at this point.

So, to sum up, don’t panic.  Wash your hands.  And if you’ve already stocked up on Tito’s, drink responsibly.

- Edda

Edda is not a medical professional but a local lady who loves to give out advice, even when it's not asked of her. Submit your question to [email protected] for Edda to answer.

PitMix Mar 23, 2020 11:39 AM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

But can we set up a still and distill Tito's into >50% alcohol? Might be a project for you DIYrs.

Longing2bhome Mar 22, 2020 10:38 AM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

Thank you for the laughs. We all need to be relaxed. Chocolate is my go to. For my birthday recently my son sent me a bag of Ghirardelli squares. Yesterday he asked me if I had enough. He said when things settle down he will buy me more.

Minibeast Mar 21, 2020 02:24 PM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

In order to be effective, your hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol.

a-1590550489 Mar 21, 2020 01:24 PM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

That is why all the Tito’s was gone?! What a travesty. Luckily, it’s the first thing I stocked up on before the crazies got to the store. Also got frozen food and easily freezable items. Because some people are apparent unaware that we have refrigerators and running water. Forget toilet paper It’s all about Tito!

MyHonorStudentB Mar 21, 2020 01:12 PM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

Apocalypse literature and dystopia flicks have been a bit of an obsession of mine, and I have always figured there might be people hoarding food, gas and weed. Never thought the currency would be freaking TP!

a-1590550489 Mar 21, 2020 12:53 PM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

I understand the toilet paper issue. If you cannot go out for weeks what do you need besides food? Toilet paper and cleaning agents are top of mind.

a-1590550489 Mar 21, 2020 12:28 PM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

Appears that people with digestive issues may be connected to Covid virus and even have worse extra-pulmonary digestive symptoms. We have been counting on just respiratory issues and now digestive issues may help diagnose cases as well. Look up the study, "Clinical characteristics of COVID-19 patients with digestive symptoms in Hubei, China: a descriptive, cross-sectional, multicenter study." Lead author is Lei Pan, MD, PhD.

PitMix Mar 23, 2020 11:39 AM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

There are some digestive issues but nothing like dysentery. My experience was a mild stomach upset that passed very quickly. The TP crisis was self-generated by hysteria. The stores should have put tight limits on it from the beginning.

420722 Mar 21, 2020 12:11 PM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

Thank you for calling people out on the toilet paper. There was no need for it.

Xantus Mar 22, 2020 10:53 AM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

the toilet paper thing is quite simple... of all the prepper things you could possibly buy if you were panicked.... TP is the laziest most fool proof option. it's lightweight. (water is so heavy ;) ) it's non perishable, it doesn't even need to be stored with any serious consideration.. the govt issues all these warnings and mandates... it spooks the people... but people are truly lazy at heart... so... TP is the first to go ;)

a-1590550489 Mar 22, 2020 09:52 AM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

But what harm has the TP run done? While it is silly, there seems to be a sizeable amount of inventory available. If someone is absolutely down to their last cardboard center roller they should qualify for drive thru Charmin at the factory down in Oxnard.

mp805 Mar 21, 2020 11:41 AM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

Good Post Edda! This has some good nuggets and made me smile. I'd also recommend unplugging from online from time to time to lessen the hysteria but enough to still keep informed. Be safe everyone...wish I had some Titos Vodka handsanitizer right now

a-1590550489 Mar 21, 2020 01:19 PM
How Do I Avoid Getting Sick?

I would say come on over but that would be missing the point of Social Distancing! So, next option...CVS has Tito's on sale and Bloody Mary mixes! They say alcohol kills the germs. Lol