Holiday Night Market Cancelled title=
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

(Photo: Santa Barbara Night Market)

By edhat staff

The holiday-themed Santa Barbara Night Market inside the former downtown Macy's building has been cancelled.

Organizer Glen Broomberg planned for a bigger shopping experience with 300 vendors and a second story ice skating rink but apparently had a conflict with Paseo Nuevo management over the lease and structural plan, reports KEYT.

An estimated 250,000 people visited the Night Market last year.

"Unfortunately, the Night Market owner’s timeline was not in compliance with a feasible and executable plan for the 2019 holiday season," said Pacific Retailers spokesperson Mary Lynn Harms-Romo to KEYT.

The vendors will reportedly receive a refund on their rental fee.

Grand opening footage from 2018 (Photo: Santa Barbara Night Market)

Flicka Oct 04, 2019 09:49 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

In Carpinteria our monthly market, the last Saturday of the month, is a good place to shop. The market the Saturday after Thanksgiving is limited to objects the vendors made, great place to Christmas shop with high quality merchandise; we have Santa, sell homemade chili, and the museum is all decked out for Christmas. There are about 70 vendors.

Channelfog Oct 04, 2019 09:09 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

I used to buy parts for my '68 Chevy pick-up at L.N. Dietrich, buy pet food at the Pet House, great stationary at Banks and enjoy a burger and shake at Woolworths, all without crossing State St! Doug (on the Mesa) used to actually make telescopes. I bought his old metal lathe and hauled it down to Uruguay when we moved.

a-1582960392 Oct 04, 2019 08:50 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

It seems every news story on downtown brings out the commenters freaking out about downtown parking. I don’t get it. I have literally never been unable to find a parking spot downtown. I shop the farmers markets, go downtown on the weekends, and at Christmas and even - drumroll - Fiesta! God forbid anyone have to walk a block. The people in this town are seriously out of touch. Get a grip.

Longing2bhome Oct 05, 2019 07:04 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Exactly, I agree. Plus walking is the BEST exercise. Plus you get to see more things.

Longing2bhome Oct 05, 2019 07:04 PM

ZeroHawk Oct 04, 2019 08:54 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

@8:50 lol! so true...people whine if they have to do anything other than teleport to an event. i live downtown and can say there is a LOT of parking downtown, free and paid. You want closer? You pay. you want free? you walk 2 or 3 blocks.

a-1582960392 Oct 04, 2019 08:51 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

If you want to see a very successful downtown with almost zero parking go to Carmel some weekend.

Factotum Oct 04, 2019 08:49 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

CORRECTION: The Night Market"more than $6 million in sales" report came from Noozhawk, not the N-P. Read it for yourself. Article also claimed there were 250,000 visitors.

a-1582960392 Oct 04, 2019 08:19 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Why City of SB? The City had nothing to do with it. It was between the organizer and the landlord.

420722 Oct 03, 2019 09:35 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

That’s too bad. I enjoyed going there last year it was so cute and festive. I’d rather have a lively bazaar than an empty building that serves no purpose at all.

EricL Oct 03, 2019 09:04 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

I'm not sure where this garbage came from about the market selling junk. There were lots of items there I rather liked that were of fine quality. Many of them went to friends and family. It compared pretty favorably to the Christmas Markets I saw in Germany. There were some things that could've been improved, true. But it was a damn good starting effort. I hope they get it together to hold another next year.

ZeroHawk Oct 04, 2019 08:55 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Eric L, i was refering to the makers market in the mornings in the mall. the night market was awesome. totally agree.

APHRODITE Oct 03, 2019 07:40 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Glen, are you looking around for another place to hold this marketplace? Someone mentioned La Cumbre, which if they are amendable would be great.

a-1582960392 Oct 03, 2019 02:24 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

La Cumbre Plaza should step up and be a hub for us locals. Free parking, nice layout and plenty of space for fun.

a-1582960392 Oct 03, 2019 04:56 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Stop shopping downtown. It keeps land prices inflated and signals that we want LESS parking.

Factotum Oct 03, 2019 02:09 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Sold $6 million dollars worth of things "no one wanted" last year according to the N-P.

a-1582960392 Oct 04, 2019 10:37 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Markers market on Saturdays outside is crap. Over priced mostly garbage , there are a few vendors that are talented but not many. I doubt any of them make over $100 each time they are there and I bet it costs about that much to get a spot. The night market had lots of great items last year. I really hope it comes back

ZeroHawk Oct 04, 2019 08:56 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

841, its in the thread below. it's the market in the mall saturday mornings. a few random vendors selling junk jewlery, preserves and knitted baby hats and some leather wallets and items.

Factotum Oct 04, 2019 08:48 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

The "more than $6 million in sales" report came from Noozhawk, not the N-P. My error as to source. Read it yourself, Noozhawk also claimed there were 250,000 visitors.

mtndriver Oct 04, 2019 08:41 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

I’m not seeing any other posts about a “makers’ mart”, zerohawk. Never heard of that one, either. I think factotum is talking about last year’s night market.

ZeroHawk Oct 03, 2019 03:45 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

i have a friend who sells her jewlery there. she and her co-sellers can verify there is not much being made there. it's crap mostly. lower quality than whats sold Sundays at the beach and even lower than what the night mall had.

ZeroHawk Oct 03, 2019 03:44 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Factotum, you're stating that the makers market sold 6 million worth of product last year? or the night mall? if you are claiming the makers market is pulling in that sort of money, you're highly mistaken. :)

biguglystick Oct 04, 2019 11:38 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

I miss everything about old Santa Barbara, and if that makes me sound like a buddy-duddy, so be it. Picadilly Square was wonderful! I got my ears pierced there too. I miss the LOCAL vibe of our little town before it was overrun by greed and unchecked wealth.

ZeroHawk Oct 04, 2019 08:57 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

I miss the square! got my ears pierced there (i think most of us did). loved the old arcade downstairs too

a-1582960392 Oct 03, 2019 11:22 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

ZEROHAWK. Ah, Picadilly Square. There was a women's clothing shop there that had the most wonderful items. When I traveled to Australia in 1983, I bought a lot of my clothing for the trip from that great shop. Years later some of the clothing I bought there was still wearable and fashionable.

ZeroHawk Oct 03, 2019 02:17 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Paseo Nuevo Management has serious issues. They were given a HUGE cash incentive from our taxes in town, to set up shop there. The anchor stores reaped in the rewards from our taxes. Macy's, Nordstroms, Gap are the big 3. Well now that they ran Macy's out. We have a massive hole that won't ever be filled with what it should. It'll end up being apartments that the 1% can afford. If even that. The mall has been in bad hands for over a decade. The amount of money made and the amount of foot traffic the night mall brought last year nearly revitalized the downtown holiday shopping, all on it's own. The eclectic group of vendors had amazing items for sale, and the vendors changed a few times, bringing in new product and new vendors. Very sad....actually pathetic that Paseo Nuevo Management screwed this up. Something needs to be done. At this point...i just miss the ol' Picadily Square :)

raisins Oct 03, 2019 12:43 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

The Makers Mart in the courtyard will still be happening every weekend with lots of amazing vendors.

ZeroHawk Oct 03, 2019 02:07 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

its a collection of odds and ends that rarely anyone wants....i walk through it every weekend on my way to the farmers market.

Factotum Oct 03, 2019 12:41 PM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Landlord and property manager have a right to ensure this ice rink on the second floor would be safe and sound. Surely you can't ask for less after our recent harbor tragedy. Sounds like they took on too much this year, rather than simply building on the prior success of the ground floor model. Nice to try something new and welcome, but before the premits were obtained they got ahead of themselves promising this extra value to the vendors. Risk was taken, and it failed this year. Maybe they can still work something out. Hate to see this lose momentum and kudos to the market owner for trying to make it even more special. Just don't get ahead of yourself next time.

biguglystick Oct 04, 2019 11:40 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

Best comment on the thread. Santa Barbara is a shell of what it used to be. And it's never been very family-friendly. This is just the latest in a long string of nails in the coffin of downtown and State st. It's OVER, folks.... DEAD.

a-1582960392 Oct 04, 2019 08:25 AM
Holiday Night Market Cancelled

"SB has really taken the joy out of the community" - how? SB had nothing to do with it.