Holiday Increase in Stolen Packages and Vehicles
Source: Santa Barbara Police Department
Information Bulletin-Stolen Vehicles
The Santa Barbara Police Department would like to remind the public to lock their vehicles and remove any potential spare keys from visible areas inside or around the vehicle. The Santa Barbara Police Department has investigated 78 vehicle thefts since 07/01/19, 41 of which were reported since 09/01/19
See the below crime prevention tips:
- Remove valuables from your vehicle and remove hide-a-keys.
- Do not leave your car running and unattended, even for a short time.
- Contact the Police if you witness suspicious activity, especially activity in and around parking lots or neighborhoods.
- When able, park in well-lit areas.
- Install safety features in your vehicle.
- Close your windows.
- In the event your vehicle is stolen, please contact local law enforcement immediately and provide the year, make, model, and license plate number, as well as a timeframe for the theft of the vehicle. It is important to also contact your car insurance provider to make them aware of the theft.
Information Bulletin-Package Thefts
As we know, with our holiday season approaching, there is a natural increase in online ordering and doorstep deliveries. Unfortunately, local suspects are also very aware and may turn their attention to your neighborhood. Below are some helpful suggestions to deter package theft from happening to you:
- Always track your shipment online.
- Request a delivery service hold your package for pick-up at their facility.
- Ship packages to your place of employment, if permitted by your employer.
- Choose a shipping option that requires a signature for delivery.
- Install Wi-Fi enabled cameras to provide alerts as well as motion sensor lighting.
- Install a secured mailbox or package lockbox.
- Report suspicious subjects to your local law enforcement.