Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help? title=

By Betsy J. Green

I’m doing a survey of hitching posts in Santa Barbara. The last survey was done in 1975, when about 170 were located. How many are left? That’s what I hope to find out. I’ve found 58 from the 170 on the list so far. Sadly, 15 from the list are no longer here. But, I have discovered 7 that were not on the previous list.

You can help by sending me the location of any hitching posts you know about (on parkways; not in people’s private gardens). Also, I’d love to hear any stories you have about SB hitching posts – did you play with them as a kid, do you remember when one was removed or damaged, do you have any favorites, etc.

You can message me here or via the contact page of my website: betsyjgreen.com

I’ll keep you updated periodically with my progress on the hitching post hunt.

a-1637340945 Nov 19, 2021 08:55 AM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

Did someone already say the 1800 block of Robbins on the Westside? It's mountainside and hidden in some shrubs in front of a house with a white picket fence I believe.

CMKR Nov 19, 2021 08:45 AM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

Lol if global warming forces us to go back to horses and buggies to avoid climate change, these could come in handy! But, in all seriousness, this is a wonderful project!

Bob Smith Nov 15, 2021 08:06 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

There is a new hitching post on the parkway at 330 W. Alamar. The parkway used to be all grass, but in the summer of 2019 our small condo association decided to remove the grass and replace it with agave and drought tolerant groundcover. I have always loved the hitching posts that I've seen all around Santa Barbara, so I wanted to add a hitching post. I went to Stoneyard Building Materials on Yanonali and had one made from a sandstone boulder. I then went to Ironclad Ltd and had a wrought iron ring made for the top. My sister and her husband teased me for installing a hitching post in an era where cars have replaced horses for transportation. I love that hitching post because it complements our Spanish style buildings and blends in well with the landscaping. It also elicits memories of an era gone by. That hitching post was worth all of the teasing.

bjgreen Nov 19, 2021 06:01 AM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

Thank you. I've found at least 10 hitching posts that were not included in the 1975 survey, and it's hard to know if these were overlooked or if they are new installations.

93110 Nov 11, 2021 12:45 AM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

There is an old stone hitching post in front of 1 Lassen Drive. The house at that address looks like 1950s or 1960s vintage, so the hitching post must have originally been at another location.

ZeroHawk Nov 10, 2021 03:28 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

there is one, maybe two in front of the old Brinkerhoff house. I think one of them was damaged by a pickup truck, but was repaired quickly.

mielemai Nov 10, 2021 01:50 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

Also 1900 block of Laguna at the intersection of Montgomery. There are posts on both sides of the street here.

mielemai Nov 10, 2021 01:47 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

This is such a great project! 300 block of E Los Olivos (near Laguna intersection) close to the Mission.

EastBeach Nov 10, 2021 11:14 AM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

This would be a great crowd sourcing project. To increase chances of success and participation it needs to be made easy to participate. There was recently an Edhat story about a "bicycle hazards" website where anyone could go the the website and click on a map and to add a hazard location with comments. This was then curated by the site owner. A simpler method would be to use Google Docs to create a sheet with known locations. Set permissions for others to add new entries if you want. You'd want to come up with a format so people can add locations in a consistent format to minimize work for yourself (perhaps nearest house address if available or just a street name). Later, you could add GPS coordinates, photos, etc.

Bob Smith Nov 15, 2021 08:12 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

There's a website called what3words.com where every square meter of the earth is mapped using a combination of only 3 words. Perhaps you could use what3words.com to generate a map of all of the hitching posts in Santa Barbara.

ZeroHawk Nov 10, 2021 03:23 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

BJ, here is something somewhat related to your inquiry. There are some very old, flat topped apartments on Cota, right near Bath street. Quinton Apartments. Quinton (John) is a very old guy, in a wheelchair and wears a cowboy hat with a feather stuck in it. I managed to get him to chat once with me. During the conversation, he became irritated with all of the traffic at that intersection. He looks at me and then nods to his apartments (he lives in the big old victorian house in the back lot), then says. I used to keep my horses in there. Those are just old horse stables, and I made them into apartments hahahahah. He was pretty proud of that. He told me he would often ride them in town. I'm sure ol' Mr Quinton used these hitching posts! Last i checked, he's about 100 years old and I think he's still alive. Cota/Bath

RockwellBAD2 Nov 09, 2021 03:54 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

Hi Betsy. Awesome project you are doing. Thank you for your effort. While it’s not one of the ‘typical’ sandstone hitching posts, there is a cast iron, black hitching post at the corner of 1731 Santa Barbara Street. I hope this Hitching post qualifies for your inventory. It has been there for as long as I have lived ‘there’ - 54 years. It is an unusual hitching post and I hope you can include it.

There is also a sandstone one at 815 de la Vina Street.

And then there’s the unique and unusual one that has a pipe between two sandstone posts on the upper east side, but its location escapes me at the moment. I will try to find it for inclusion in your list.

Best of luck to your research and I hope you follow up with public publication of your inventory/investigation.

RockwellBAD2 Nov 12, 2021 02:41 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

Me again. I found five more hitching posts. All addresses are approximate:
-1427 Laguna Street-odd, it's a squat, short cube;
-1325 Laguna Street;
-1815 Laguna Street - I believe this was Kellum Deforest's childhood home;
-204 Mission Street;
-1725 Laguna Street

Something I've noticed... it seems the hitching posts that are extant are all in front of residential properties. Not sure what to make of that - just an observation. Any one want to posit an idea?

RockwellBAD2 Nov 11, 2021 02:43 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

Betsy- it's me again. I found two more sandstone hitching posts. One is at 403 East Anapamu Street. The other one is at approximately 1315 de la Vina Street. I will send a message via your Contact Page on your your website with my email address so you can hopefully reply with your email address for me to send you photos, if interested.

bjgreen Nov 09, 2021 02:04 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

The list that I have is sadly out of date and contains some errors. Just send me ones that you know about, and I will check them out.

Snorky Nov 09, 2021 01:33 PM
Hitching Post Hunt - Can You Help?

interesting survey. How would we know if you do not already have some on your list? (doesn't look like author's website has any lists).