By an edhat reader

I am hoping that an edhat subscriber might have a photo and some history of the 1940’s of Minnie’s Café on Hollister on the same block as the old Post Office. Any info?

[EDitor's Note: Any photos can be sent to ed@edhat.com to be added to this article]

Je2ry6 Feb 21, 2018 10:07 AM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

The restaurant in the shopping center in the 70's and early 80's was Don's. Don Partlow came out here from Ohio to work at US Industries in Goleta and later at Varo EK Div. and then took over the restaurant.

SBZZ Feb 17, 2018 01:01 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Didn't FedMart reside in the main southern building in that property about 40 years ago? Also, there was a cool place to eat breakfast just to the north along So. Fairview.

73Capri Apr 22, 2018 07:31 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

OMG, don't forget the Fiesta Bowl, same place before at them fancy stores.

73Capri Apr 22, 2018 07:29 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Started out as Disco Fair, Two Guys, and I think Fed Mart then K mart.

73Capri Apr 22, 2018 07:29 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Started out as Disco Fair, Two Guys, and I think Fed Mart then K mart.

73Capri Apr 22, 2018 07:27 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

No, the first store, when it was built was Crown Discount. My mother worked them for a while, then went to work for AMC, until she retired. And Fed-Mart was the second company to take it's place. The old post office was at the corner of (what is Carson street now) and kind of close to Pine Ave, with Sprouse Rietz ( variety store) beside it. The Fox Market was near to Fairview, with a Laundry Mat, restaurant,, bike store.. Later on came the carpet store. Cornet was where Autozone is now on Hollister. I've lived in Ellwood, Goleta,Carpinteria, now in Noleta. Went to grade school, junior high, and high school, worked here and in Summerland (Josten's)

a-1545228579 Feb 19, 2018 10:06 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Two Guys was located at 6865 Hollister (K-Mart) n the mid-1970s and before that there was Disco-Fair.

yin yang Feb 19, 2018 06:04 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

There was a Cajun Kitchen there. I'm not even sure of the decade... When Tracor was there? Or later 80's?

a-1545228579 Feb 18, 2018 11:15 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

For a brief few years in the mid-1960s, there was a discount store before Fed Mart at 500 S. Fairview. It was called Crown.

yin yang Feb 18, 2018 07:33 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

this was a reply to mt. man. Yep, I walked to school in a very circuitous route, on dead end streets with dirt connections, in the 60's and 70's. Starting in 3rd or so grade.

yin yang Feb 18, 2018 07:31 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Me too! :-) A lot more than 40 years ago. I guess Akron was next to what is now Whole Foods, (a fact I remembered from input here) but was there a store even before Fedmart? I was very young, single digits, when family shopped there. Of course my first jobs were at electronics companies (David Love Place); the credit union in that center was my first or second. But we used the Schwinn on upper State. Good memories!

MountainMan4865 Feb 17, 2018 09:23 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Went to FedMart as a kid, also got my, and my brother's first bikes from the Schwinn Bicycles there. Oh my god! Do I have to start talking about my long walks to school now?!

MountainMan4865 Feb 17, 2018 09:24 PM

MountainMan4865 Feb 17, 2018 09:25 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Went to FedMart as a kid, also got my, and my brother's first bikes from the Schwinn Bicycles there. It was on S. Fairview. Remember the red stripe? Oh my god! Do I have to start talking about my long walks to school now?!

a-1545228579 Feb 17, 2018 08:41 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Fed Mart was located at 500 S. Fairview. The shopping center was called Plaza De Goleta. Also in that location, you'd find the US Post Office, Goleta Library, Goleta Schwinn Bicycles, Sprouse-Reitz, CT Carpet Town, a paint store and a couple of restaurants.

EastBeach Feb 17, 2018 01:10 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

I remember going to Fedmart when I was a kid but that was so long ago, I don't recall if it was in that shopping center along S. Fairview or out by Kmart. Hopefully someone will help refresh my memory.

tomtech Feb 17, 2018 11:13 AM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Wasn't Minnie's kitty corner to the Tracor Aviation Hanger ? I remember eating breakfast there a couple times maybe 30 years ago.

a-1545228579 Feb 18, 2018 03:18 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

UPDATE: Sprouse-Reitz was in the S. Fairview center. Cornet was at 5799 Hollister Ave. in the building which would later become Sunburst, Hope 'n' Hagens, etc. In the 1940s, the Goleta Post Office was in downtown Goleta on the north side of Hollister Ave.

a-1545228579 Feb 17, 2018 11:49 AM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

The place you're remembering was called the Happy Donut or something like that. It was a combination donut shop and breakfast/lunch diner. It was on the corner of the complex, looking out towards Tracor and Fairview. There was also something akin to a Sprouse-Ritz or Cornet store in that center, as well as an appliance store.

a-1545228579 Feb 17, 2018 11:03 AM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

The old post office is the one at the corner of Hollister and Patterson....I think it is a jewelry store or clock shop now, and before that it was a pawn shop (run by "Big Al"). Big Al once said that the walls in that tiny building were made of reinforced concrete a couple feet thick, which was meant to repel any bombardment or shelling.

MountainMan4865 Feb 17, 2018 09:20 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Nope, that was a preschool. I remember the teeter totter, went there when I was a little 'un.

tomtech Feb 17, 2018 11:07 AM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

I used to know big Al and the band. I wonder if he is still around?

a-1545228579 Feb 17, 2018 12:39 AM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

I remember that small shopping center. There used to be a record store there, too, I think, facing south.

420722 Feb 16, 2018 09:28 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

Where was the old post office? On the 711 side or the The Habit side? I love learning about the old Goleta days and Santa Barbara too.

MountainMan4865 Feb 18, 2018 05:29 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

I believe the Post Office was where Domingo's is now in Old Town on the mountain side of Hollister.

EastBeach Feb 16, 2018 10:02 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

There used to be a shopping center located in the area bounded by South Fairview to the west, Carson St. to the north, Orange Ave to the east, and Daley St. to the south. Just west of the UPS counter off Pine Ave. The USPS had an office and mail handling facility there before it moved to Storke Rd. Other businesses I recall in the shopping center - Bicycle Bob's, Cajun Kitchen, and a credit union. New buildings were constructed and now Three Pickles, Autoliv, and Yardi are there.

a-1545228579 Feb 16, 2018 06:56 PM
History of Minnie's Cafe?

One of the businesses in the area has several b/w photos of Minnie's Cafe, as well as other shops that were around at the time. Could be the shop near the old post office.