History of "Joy" Sailboat?

By an edhat reader

Does anyone know the history of the sailboat “Joy” in the Santa Barbara Harbor?  My wife and I walk the breakwater often and I see the beautiful sailboat almost every time, and I am curious about the boat’s history.

canuck215 May 05, 2021 12:14 PM
History of "Joy" Sailboat?

S/V Joy is modern vessel, merely designed to be reminiscent of older yachts. Look up Hoek Designs, that is the builder of Joy.

patrick May 05, 2021 03:39 PM
History of "Joy" Sailboat?

I saw it the other day while paddling my canoe this past weekend -- beautiful boat and the brightwork is meticulously maintained. I wouldn't want to be on varnish duty...

ZeroHawk May 05, 2021 04:15 PM
History of "Joy" Sailboat?

Check out the 83ft wooden ketch parked at the sea landing...that is a MUCH more fascinating craft. The boat is named Tattoosh and was Peter Fonda's personal yacht for him and his family. Sailing from Washington, SF, SD, Baja and Hawaii then on to French Poly. The boat has a new owner since Peter passed away a few years back. The boat has had numerous visits to SB during Peter's time captaining it. The new owner Jim, a little off, but a nice guy. Say hi if you see him on deck and ask about it. He will gladly fill in the details. I've been all over and inside of the boat and it's a marvel.

Sail380 May 05, 2021 05:44 PM
History of "Joy" Sailboat?

Used to be able to go online and search vessel by name. Got all the info needed plus more. Make, Size, construction method, owner's history and personal info.. Could also do the same with planes N#

ZeroHawk May 06, 2021 10:25 AM
History of "Joy" Sailboat?

Sail, yes what happened to that? I tried searching a friends yacht who is near BIOTS and no such vessel was located. In fact I tried several that I know of in SB Marina and they couldn't be located either..

a-1620345058 May 06, 2021 04:50 PM
History of "Joy" Sailboat?

Thank you all for your information and I will check out the 83ft ketch.