Highway Cleanup Volunteer Groups?

By an edhat reader

Are there any local groups that host volunteer highways and roadway cleanup projects? If not, who can I contact to start one?

Connie Green May 03, 2019 08:02 PM
Highway Cleanup Volunteer Groups?

I volunteered with freeway cleanup when I was in the Santa Clarita Rotary and we had adopted a section of the 14 Freeway. One day a car stopped and asked if I or any of the three women I was with knew where the prison was in Palmdale. It turned out they thought we were on work detail! It was also quite dangerous as the cars and trucks came way too close many times. We ended up turning it over to a group that can be hired for that purpose and is approved by CalTrans.

SV-650 May 03, 2019 11:10 AM
Highway Cleanup Volunteer Groups?

I have joined such efforts in the past and would be glad to pitch in. Such projects must be coordinated with proper authorities - in some cases they will hand out large orange plastic bags. Bright Green or orange vests should be worn and adequate signage provided to warn approaching motorists. Provisions should be made to transport the accumulated garbage to an appropriate dump site. Don't have the time to organize, but would be glad to join.

a-1560833154 May 02, 2019 10:11 PM
Highway Cleanup Volunteer Groups?

I am so excited about this post, and really disheartened by SBSB....'s post. That is exactly the problem. I don't know when it started but it's been a few decades... "Don't worry about, someone else will take care of it. You'll just be a liability. You can't possibly exercise any common sense. Leave it to the Authorities." That was the mindset that ran everyone off during the last oil spill. <insert new paragraph here> This is our town, our community - yes, we pay into it, but where does it say that we no longer get to be care takers of it. Someone sees a problem, has the desire and the means to fix it. Do it! Use common sense, of course - if you're going to be working close to vehicles at high speed - don't wear head phones, have a plan, be more than one person... Hate to sound cliche, but every little bit makes a difference, and we can all do it. It doesn't have to be the highway. It can be the beach, your favorite hiking trail, creek - it is, after all, our town.

a-1560833154 May 02, 2019 09:55 PM
Highway Cleanup Volunteer Groups?

Dangerous work, terrible exposure to car fumes and it will be heartbreaking to see all the dead animals. A friend of mine did this type of highway roadside clean-up work and he said the amount of animals hit by vehicles is shocking and gut-wrenching to see. I wish we would build animal tunnels and such like crossings to prevent wildlife being slaughtered by freeway drivers.

oceandrew May 02, 2019 04:56 PM
Highway Cleanup Volunteer Groups?

Please check with CHP and CalTrans before you have a dozen folks with trash bags show up and park on the side of the freeway.

420722 May 02, 2019 12:33 PM
Highway Cleanup Volunteer Groups?

I always wonder this myself. We used to have the inmates do but maybe that was too much of liability to the city? Anyway, I’m sick of our freeway looking as disgusting as the LA freeways. I hope we can get a group going. I wouldn’t mind helping out every now and again.

Lucky 777 May 02, 2019 11:16 AM
Highway Cleanup Volunteer Groups?

You could set up a MEET UP group with this purpose and invite interested people to join and participate. Announce where and when you'd go out to tackle a certain section of road. Better invest in Yellow Vests! I started a Meet Up for local equestrians and it is a great way to be safer out on the trail and ride in good company. https://www.meetup.com/Horse-and-Mule-Trail-Riders-in-the-805-Meetup/