Highway 101 Closures in Carpinteria
Timeframe: November 12 - 18, 2017
Highway 101 night closures
- Between Monday and Wednesday nights, Highway 101 will have closures between Bailard and Linden Avenues to allow for the installation of falsework beams for a new portion of the Casitas Pass Road Overcrossing.
- On Monday night, northbound Highway 101 lanes will be closed from 10:00 pm until 5:00 am.
- On Tuesday and Wednesday nights, southbound Highway 101 will be closed from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am.
- A signed detour will be in place using Bailard, Carpinteria, and Santa Ynez Avenues (see map below).
Carpinteria Creek Bridges
- Highway 101 Bridges
- Southbound bridge: Grading to backfill soil near the new bridge will continue. Crews will also work on forming, installing rebar, and pouring concrete for the approach areas.
- Northbound bridge (1st half): Opened to traffic on Nov. 1st
- Northbound bridge (2nd half): The old bridge has been removed. Shoring to create the construction area for the side supports (abutments) will be installed, and then crews will begin embankment work for the new side supports.
- Via Real Bridge
- Work on the safety barrier rail will continue on the new bridge. This work includes wood form work and rebar installation to prepare for the concrete railing pour.
- Drainage improvements continue.
- Crews will continue to prepare the creek for the winter and remove the dewatering system that was in place to enable the construction of the new bridges.
Casitas Pass Road Overcrossing
- Crews will continue setting falsework for the new overcrossing. Based on the requirements for setting falsework beams and the constrained working area, nighttime closures will be needed on Highway 101. After setting falsework, construction will begin on the underside of the bridge (soffit) and internal vertical supports (stems).
Linden Avenue Overcrossing
- Work progresses to excavation for wing wall footings and then wood form work and rebar installation for the walls.
- Work progresses to installing internal supports (stems) for the new retaining wall on southbound Highway 101 between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road. This work precedes upcoming sound wall work.
- The Highway 101 southbound off-ramp at Casitas Pass will be closed throughout the week from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm for large equipment and wall work.
- Winter storm water run-off protections and slope stabilization fiber will be installed.
- Drainage and irrigation work continues for the new on and off-ramps at Casitas Pass Road, median, shoulder areas, and along Casitas Pass Road near the construction yard.
Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road - Opened Nov. 1st
The blue arrows above show the area of the new northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road now open. Via Real connects to Casitas Pass Road to the left of the image.
Carpinteria Creek Bike Path
- The Carpinteria Creek bike path will remain closed for bridge work. There is a free EasyLift shuttle during the closure that runs between San Roque Mobile Estates and Rancho Granada Mobile Home Park (on Via Real) and Carpinteria Avenue (at Eugenia Ave, Palm Ave, Albertson’s, and City Hall) between 7:30 - 9:00 am and 2:00 - 5:30 pm every half hour. Please see on-site shuttle signs for more schedule information or click on: http://www.sbroads.com/
Upcoming Work: Fall 2017
- The southbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will close for up to 2 weeks to enable ramp improvements.
- Sewer realignment work in preparation for the Nipomo Drive sound wall.
- Carpinteria Valley Water District will install a new water line on Linden Avenue in preparation for the new Linden Avenue Overcrossing. Once the overcrossing is built, the water line will be connected over the new bridge.