By an edhat reader

For all of those who love and enjoy Hendry's Beach (aka Arroyo Burro Beach), I encourage you to attend a community meeting hosted by the City of Santa Barbara on Thursday

A meeting is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 12th at Godric Grove in Eling's Park. It's titled a "Community Meeting to Address Parking, Beach Access, and Housing in the Alan Road Area."

There will be a presentation with questions and answer times from city staff members of a variety of departments.

I'm curious to know if this is due in large part of Alan Road residents being fed up with the clogged parking and/or if it's beachgoers wanting more access. Hope to see Hendry's lovers there to stand up for our access to this public beach and overflow parking on public streets.

LuckyRuby May 10, 2022 02:26 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

I've lived on Alan rd in the "busy zone" for several years and I still haven't figured out why some days its crowded parking in front of our house and other nice days its empty. When I moved to the neighborhood I knew it would be busy with beach parking, as I used to be one of the people driving from across town to enjoy the beach! So my personal opinion is that I'm happy to see my fellow Santa Barbara/Goleta residents enjoying their local beach as much as my family and I do. We're the extra lucky ones who get to walk to the beach, so I personally choose to greet those parking in front of my house with a smile, as I'm genuinely happy to see them enjoy the beach. Our mailbox has been destroyed twice in the past 5 years by beachgoers doing wide u-turns in front of our house. Both times the individuals were locals, and both times they left notes and offered to pay for damage. Regarding dog poop, in my anecdotal observations over the years I'd say 95% of dog owners pick up their poop on Alan Rd, so while there's definitely room for improvement I certainly appreciate the responsible dog owners, most of whom seem to fit the category. As for walking distances, by my math:
Front Lot to beach: 1 minute
Back Lot to beach: 2-3 minutes
Alan Rd neighborhood: 4-10 minutes depending on the day
These are my personal opinions that I don't try to impose on anyone else.
We all make our choices, and I chose to live in a fun neighborhood that happens to be a key (and sometimes busy) public access point for beachgoers, and so far I'm getting exactly what I signed up for.

CreekMoe May 10, 2022 01:40 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

If a car parks in a driveway, it should be towed. Same as when cars park on curbside on street sweeping days....?

But when the city developed a large park at the north end of Alan Rd., logic would
say there would be parking on the acres of flat land.

But there is no parking and just a lame entrance..

So visitors must park on Alan Rd.

And there should be parking meters at Henry Beach. And tow away the
visitors who stay too long.

Also, there are a few acres by the Traffic Circle that are flat enough
to convert to parking spaces.

And the City could have bought the land across from the beach when it was
vacant land. and used it for overflow parking.

Other solution would be to ban animals from the place.

That worked for the horse owners.

And have a tram that runs from Earl Warren Showgrounds - every 15 minutes?

Plambsb May 10, 2022 12:51 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

Ready for comments on this idea. Residents of Santa Barbara County (it is a county beach) receive a parking sticker upon request for free parking. Tourists and non-pass holders use a parking pay station and put the ticket in the window, lower left hand side . Pay for the amount of time one wants to stay. Overflow parking in the neighborhood is a problem on the weekends. I'll let the neighbors speak for themselves.

a-1652215849 May 10, 2022 01:50 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

Similar to the County's Cachuma Lake stickers, although they are not free Day use fee. Day pass is $10. For annual passes, Vets pay $10/year , non-res $120, resident $100, etc. Down side is need for enforcement. Wouldn't help Alan Rd.

pstarSR May 10, 2022 10:43 AM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

my question to all these types of "deal with it" comments.

when a "venue" is full ( see chick-fil-a drama ) is it the best option to just keep trying to go, or realize that there is NO parking and no access currently because you are NOT the only one with this idea. and sorry to say, have to leave and try again another time.

we have gotten on this idea that if we want to do something, we should be able to do it regardless if its feasible, there is space or it is safe to do so.

mm1970 May 10, 2022 03:36 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

Well, personally, if I wanted to go to Chik-fil-A (I don't), or any other restaurant with limited seating - I first look there for space to park, or whatever. If it's not available, I drive further and look for a place to park. This may be paid parking (downtown), or free street parking - I easily will park several blocks away and walk in. If, however, I cannot find ANY parking (this happened once at Concerts in the park...after I hit 1 mile away with 2 small kids, that was the end of that), then I leave.

SBZZ May 10, 2022 09:33 AM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

Imagine how many more people would park on Alan Rd and elsewhere if they charged for parking!? That is no solution. Getting rid of the restaurant would lower parking demand, but I would hate to see that happen, as it is a very cool venue. There are so many people in the world now. Enjoy the moments of serenity while you can.

visionmatters May 10, 2022 09:14 AM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

Ah paradise problems. Seems like everyone thinks that its the people who moved here after them that are the problem. You show up, get to know how great the place is and suddenly there are just 'too many' 'others' in 'your' space.
What's interesting is that this is true in every paradise. I'm with the ride your bike or scooter suggestion here to deal with the parking. And enforcement on Alan would be justice for the inconsiderate.
And you can certainly move to another paradise and be the reason an earlier immigrant can resent you. But it will be fresh and thus paradise for you.

El Barbareno May 10, 2022 08:51 AM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

Once again, it is the irresponsible actions of the County and the cities of Goleta and Santa Barbara to build more housing than the infrastructure can accommodate.
Adding to that mess - the state of California forcing communities to build housing with no consideration on the effect to the community and the Regents of the University of California who continue to increase enrollment.
If our city council had any backbone they would band together with other like California communities and sue the state for the forced increased housing.

visionmatters May 10, 2022 09:16 AM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

So you might want to petition of a border crossing type gate at the county line. Only those with hotel reservations or proof of residence can enter? Or pass through? Trying to limit growth has consequences too, if you could in the first place. And there has been lots of limits to SB growth, and that hasn't kept the hordes away from well you name the place .

SBStoner May 10, 2022 08:40 AM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

Too many SB locals think they are entitled to Hendry’s. It’s a little ridiculous at this point. Just because you use the local nomenclature, doesn’t mean that the beach should be reserved for you. To anyone who wants a private beach I recommend going a little up the point and buying a house in hope ranch.

a-1652191704 May 10, 2022 07:08 AM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

Come on now. Hendry's is also my beach of choice, but when I want to go on the weekend, I go early so I can park in the parking lot, not in front of somebody's house - because that's not right. If the parking lot is full - that means the beach is also too full, so I go somewhere else. And if all you "locals" don't know another beach to go to, then I guess you're not so "local" after all.

mm1970 May 10, 2022 09:51 AM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

I love Hendry's, and it's our beach of choice. We almost always end up parking on Alan and walking (but we don't block driveways). I understand that it's annoying to the home owners, but the streets are public, just like the roads near Hot Springs Trail. Shoot, I live near Elings and weekends with soccer or other games means our street fills up with people trying to avoid paying the $5 parking fee. So, I get it. The answer may just be patrolling and tickets or towing to avoid bad actors.

Mebk May 09, 2022 06:13 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

As a resident of Alan road most afternoons and evenings I can not even find parking. Not to mention people blocking my driveway. Dogs leaving a mess up and down the street on the way to the beach. Also I may add left on the beach is off least. Why do so many go right and think their dogs are special.

PitLocal May 09, 2022 05:01 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

I grew up surfing there, hence the Edhat moniker here. For those of you who didn't already know, we've called Arroyo Burro County Beach, aka Hendry's beach, 'the Pit' since before anyone I know can even remember. I couldn't agree more with the comments so far on this post. In fact, I only rarely go to the Pit anymore because you literally can't access the beach on any but the least popular days to get to the beach. It just kills me and makes me go on internal tirades about how much our town just ain't the same place it used to be.

Minibeast May 09, 2022 10:13 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

RHS: Yes. It hasn't been all that many years (four? five?) that we fought hard to keep parking at Hendry's FREE for the public. The proposal back then was for time limits or else pay-to-park. Holy HELL. Imagine going to the beach and having to keep one eye on your cell phone (do people even wear watches anymore?) or having to set the timer. What a fun beach visit, constantly worrying you'll be charged for parking too long or else have to pay a parking ticket because you parked longer than 75/90 minutes. ************************ How about this? Step up neighborhood parking enforcement. Give the parking enforcement officers more time in the neighborhood, particularly near sunset hour and on the weekends.

CoastWatch May 09, 2022 07:30 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

@RHS- It's done all over CA- Go see how much a campsite at a State Park is now or just Day Parking at Refugio... Life is CA is expensive. That being said, it would be nice if you showed a CA ID that State Parks would give you, as a State taxpayer, a discounted price VS the out of State or Canadians / Euro's...

pstarSR May 09, 2022 04:23 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

As someone whos parent owns a home on Alan Rd.

its a nightmare. people park in our driveway constantly, blocking OUR access to our HOME. Its not a fact of "access to the beach". people are disrespectful. and thats why this is an issue.

Transparent May 11, 2022 09:15 AM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

Rude people stink. Seems like that folks blocking drives is covered by enforcement of existing rules. We need to enforce the rules, of course, and perhaps add signage to make clear that this will be consistently done.

Some folks want just to stop "outsiders" from being able to park on their street. Those Alan Rd houses are selling for millions and millions, so it's hard to stomach sympathy for folks who can't accept that (pre-existing) downside of living in such a beautiful and desirable location. That said, we do need to enforce the rules... if folks were blocking my drive, I'd be p.o.-ed too!

m2457 May 09, 2022 08:30 PM
Hendry's Beach Parking and Beach Access Community Meeting

I too have a family member that owns a house on Alan and have seen how rude people can be. They park blocking driveways quite often. That is just not ok, why would anyone think it is? Show some common courtesy.