Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber title=

Source: Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020, at 4:25 p.m., a man entered Buddha Bowls at 901 Embarcadero Del Mar in Isla Vista and asked the clerk for change. When the clerk opened the register, the suspect demanded money and lifted his clothing to show a handgun tucked in his waistband. The suspect reached over the counter and grabbed cash from the register before running out of the store and southbound on Embarcadero Del Mar.

Surveillance video shows the suspect casing the area for several minutes prior to the robbery. In the video, the suspect walks with a wide gait, swinging his arms dramatically in a strutting manner. He was wearing dark tennis shoes with white trim, a dark zip-up hooded sweatshirt with a white undershirt, and a dark distinctive “bucket hat.” He is described as being Hispanic, Black, or Pacific Islander, 25-40 years old, with a large build and weighing around 220 pounds.

The Sheriff’s Office is requesting anyone that has information about this crime, or that can help identify the suspect, email Detective Maxwell at [email protected]. You can also contact the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s anonymous tip line at 805-681-4171 or visit our website.

sbbulldog Feb 15, 2020 10:30 AM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

Pardon the typo! I was born in the 50's, young into my 20's. Started working in LE in '74. I came to the job (CSI) from being an unemployed wastrel after a wild out, to a member of a team of professionals. The overwhelming number of officers and staff were talented, good, and well-meaning men and women. So I went from 24 year old with attitude to a part of a well organized team of professionals supporting each other. The view working in this environment is different the society at large. My job was investigating physical evidence, documenting, and collecting evidence. Lots of photography. In any case, it was a great education and it has been beneficial in my life. I'm guessing this para-military experience has some things in common with being in military. Accepting orders, respecting chain

pstarSR Feb 14, 2020 09:17 AM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

what is wrong with you all? they try through all normal process's to locate the suspect. then they ask if anyone knows the suspect because all leads have dried up. why are you all making up this drivel that "we are doing their jobs". asking for help in finding a criminal ( LIKE AMERICANS MOST WANTED TV SHOW YOU ALLLLLLL WATCHED ! ) makes you "doing their jobs". "Why not post this the day of?" BECAUSE THEY DID! GO LOOK! ITS HERE! keyboard commandos gezzzus. go outside

a-1581891382 Feb 14, 2020 08:57 AM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

Too bad we need to rely on the sheriffs to “defend” us. I guess we, the law abiding can’t be trusted to nip this *hit in the bud with a conceal carry.

a-1581891382 Feb 15, 2020 04:41 AM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

We don't do or think much that way in liberal CA . It's a fact and I'm saying it. Try a place more like you if this isn't it, like east Idaho NE California, most of Texas, the South, Florida, whatever. Libs like it here.

SB_TAHOE Feb 14, 2020 09:41 AM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

Are you implying that all of the "good guys" should walk around armed and randomly shoot people they have self-assessed as "bad guys"?

sbbulldog Feb 14, 2020 07:53 AM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

Late enforcement is a different world. SBSO is populated with many talented officers and brass. I worked in LE for 8 years. It took a couple of years to shed my prejudicial attitudes. Ultimately, what I saw gave me a better and more accurate view. I don't have an opinion about Chief Brown but in over 32 years I have only met friendly and professional deputies. Walk a mile.

sbbulldog Feb 15, 2020 09:28 AM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

Pardon the typo! I was born in the 50's, young into my 20's. Started working in LE in '74. I came to the job (CSI) from being an unemployed wastrel after a wild out, to a member of a team of professionals. The overwhelming number of officers and staff were talented, good, and well-meaning men and women. So I went from 24 year old with attitude to a part of a well organized team of professionals supporting each other. The view working in this environment is different the society at large. My job was investigating physical evidence, documenting, and collecting evidence. Lots of photography. In any case, it was a great education and it has been beneficial in my life. I'm guessing this para-military experience has some things in common with being military.

a-1581891382 Feb 15, 2020 04:30 AM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

I agree, but WHAT? I guess you mean "law" not "late" enforcement? What? I'm still laughing. in my job I had to give tickets though someone else had to sign them finally, didn't make me happy either! I get stress, i just had a desk job, hated that part. What do you mean by shed my prejudicial attitudes.?! attitude against the community? black and brown people? law enforcement? rich people? You can't just say something like that without explaining!!!

ChillinGrillin Feb 15, 2020 02:23 AM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

I worked in law enforcement also, and actually lived in Isla Vista. Most interactions there were negative, but they're on edge from the average BAC of the many people around them. SBSO responds to calls but they are not very proactive. The deputies aren't at fault, they make the best of the org culture and competence that they go into. SBSO has been the subject of a significant number of recent grand jury investigations ranging from the jail operations to recruiting and training. Last October, a custody deputy injured 4 people in a head on collision on the 154. There wasn't a mugshot released or developments on that case and it was unusually quiet for how serious it was. Drug smuggling using panga boats landing on north county beaches is also a known issue, yet SBSO efforts to counter this seem to be lacking other than responses to citizen sightings or an operation Sheriff Brown did right before his last election. SBSO is not demonstrably corrupt or ineffective to a debilitating degree. They are just stagnant and need new leaders to bring in proactive, community policing.

a-1581891382 Feb 13, 2020 09:08 PM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

ANOTHER black eye for Bill Brown's squad. What's even more amazing is he's always appearing at the S.B. Board of Supes meetings crying poor and telling all why he needs many more hundreds of thousands of dollars. Hooey! It's time for the Supes to do an internal review of Billy's fiefdom and flush out the ineptness once & for all. How safe do we all feel, really?

ChillinGrillin Feb 13, 2020 07:17 PM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

Whoa cutting-edge response time there Sheriff Brown. I thought this was already solved. But you probably had to round up the posse, send a telegram, and have a smoke first. "Hispanic, black or Pacific Islander, 25-40 years old." Yeah your department has no clue.

Get over it Feb 13, 2020 06:23 PM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

Maybe I'm just older, but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what I did on 1/8.. Why not put this out immediately after the event?

a-1581891382 Feb 13, 2020 05:46 PM
Help Identify Isla Vista Restaurant Robber

Here we go again! 36 DAYS ago this happened and just now the SBSO is asking for the public's help. Will this abysmal track record of the SBSO ever end? What is Big Billy Brown doing besides not teaching basic crime-solving techniques? Hate to say it, but when I see a sheriff in this county they are usually way overweight and probably could run more than 1/2 block without suffering a heart attack. When I was in the military there were severe consequences if you didn't meet the basic physical standards and came in over the limit on the mandated, yearly run. Yikes!