Heat Advisory on Friday title=

Source: National Weather Service

Heat Advisory in effect today 9/13 (11am to 7pm) for all of Santa Barbara County, except south-facing coastal areas, with temps forecast to reach 104 degrees. Temps inside vehicles, even if the windows are partially open, can quickly rise to life-threatening levels. Drink more fluids, keep yourself & your pets cool, & check on your family & neighbors.

Aviso de Calor en efecto hoy 13 de sept (11am a 7pm) para todo el Condado de Santa Bárbara, con la excepción de las áreas costeras hacia el sur, con un pronóstico de temperaturas de 104 grados.  Las temperaturas dentro los vehículos, incluso si las ventanas están parcialmente abiertas, pueden subir rápidamente a niveles que ponen la vida en peligro. Beba líquidos, manténgase fresco y también sus mascotas, y cheeque a sus familiares y vecinos.

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 11:27 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Shush! We want to keep Kelsey Gerckens here! We don't want L.A. or the networks to get wind of her.

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 01:25 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

I quit watching when we lost the Phog monster then Evelyn Taft to KCAL 9. I now do my own meteorological analysis with all the online tools available . I'm pretty good too. lol

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 10:14 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Dept. Geosciences/Meteorology, MIssissippi State U.: " focuses on the study of atmospheric processes and climatic variability. Upon completion of the program (operational emphasis), students will have met the coursework requirements for the National Weather Service, the private meteorology sector... students are encouraged/expected to take courses in advanced mathematics (calculus), statistics, computer programming, Remote Sensing, GIS, and other courses.."

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 08:58 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

KELSEY GERCKENS bio: “joined KEYT/KCOY/FOX11 in 2010; Kelsey spent several years working as a reporter for KEYT. She switched to weather full-time after finding that her favorite stories to cover were always weather related. She has been honored with two Golden Mike Awards for Best Weather Segment. She also was nominated for an Emmy for best Weather Anchor after her coverage of the Thomas Fire. Kelsey received her B.S. in Broadcast Journalism and minor in Psychology from California Polytechnic State University. She is also furthering her education by studying meteorology. She is expected to complete her Bachelors of Science degree in Meteorology from Mississippi State University in the coming year." https://www.keyt.com/meet-the-team/kelsey-gerckens/49183626

tagdes Sep 14, 2019 04:16 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Her and Joe also won the Amazing Race for $1 million so they're no slouches when it comes to thinking on their feet. I'm guessing she'll do fine becoming a full on meteorologist.

Factotum Sep 14, 2019 09:18 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Mississippi State meteorology 101: It is not the heat, it is the humidity.

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 08:30 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

What's blowin' in the wind? Discuss: "One of the world's most baffling diseases may be spread by the wind. A new study has found that Kawasaki disease, which sickens 12,000 children a year in Japan and occurs in other countries including the United States and South Korea, is at its deadliest when the wind blows from northeastern China."

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 08:13 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

I'd like to see John Wiley and Kelsey Gerckens host a 1/2 talk show on weather, every week, live on KEYT and interactive with locals. A call-in show. Or, could Edhat host it, live on Edhat. Lauren Bray, how brave are you feeling today?

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 08:40 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

I don't think Kelsey Gherkins is a bona fide meteorologist, like Alan Rose was. All she does is read what's in front of her.

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 08:06 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Kelsey Gerckens , how 'bout a discussion on "Precipitation Whiplash", described here: https://twitter.com/hashtag/PrecipitationWhiplash?src=hash

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 01:34 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Try: https://weatherwest.com/archives/6252 for more. Apr 22, 2018 · Increasing precipitation whiplash in twenty-first century California. The region experiences a deep “seasonal drought” virtually every summer; during winter, a large fraction of annual precipitation falls over the course of just a handful of heavy precipitation days associated with “atmospheric river” storms.

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 07:51 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

This guy focuses on instrumental temperature data and model/observation comparisons. https://twitter.com/hausfath?lang=en

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 07:28 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

First question for Kelsey this winter: Are Atmospheric Rivers a blessing or a curse? She could have people tweet or phone their opinions, and we could spend a few extra minutes hearing others' opinions, like on Edhat. It's time to give weather a front and center place...given what unusual weather is happening, here and elsewhere. I like this guy, but it's like a __scary__ show to me: https://twitter.com/Weather_West

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 07:21 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

John Wiley, a pilot, used to give us some weather info. I liked the details he offered. DENSITY ALTITUDE-- a measure used primarily by pilots and high-performance engine mechanics; measures the density of the air, given in units of distance. It is a function of temperature, relative humidity and air pressure.

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 07:15 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Kelsey Gerckens will be the new Weather Anchor at KEYT, replacing Alan Rose. I'd like her to get "more into it" with details of weather patterns and statistics. I'm ready for Advanced Weather classes, 5pm, 6pm, 11pm. And, throw into the mix "pollution index".

a-1569191673 Sep 14, 2019 07:05 AM
Heat Advisory on Friday

National Weather Service forecast for high temps for today, Sat: 93108- 76degrees; 93110- 84degrees. 93105- 87degrees and "Today Sunny, with a high near 87. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.” Out of north? Sundowners today during day?

LocalMatt Sep 13, 2019 10:27 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

I'll just say this. When I grew up here an AC wasn't even a thought. Last year I bought a multi split ac unit because to me it was almost unbearable to go through another year without one.

LocalMatt Sep 13, 2019 09:08 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Maybe I'm different 90 degrees in Santa Barbara is not a cake walk. I want it 65 degrees all the time

a-1569191673 Sep 13, 2019 10:12 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

I still acclimate pretty quickly too, though I need my siestas when it first gets hot. Expect heat, you'll be happier.

a-1569191673 Sep 13, 2019 10:10 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Agreed. But this wasn't bad. The city isn't in the advisory. I'll take 90. It'll get worse, and the wind will blow. I used to work in an old office w/no air conditioning and the windows oriented east west, not north south. My sense of direction is terrible, but the building did not get any ocean air. So glad to be retired! My place peaked at 78 today.

MountainMan4865 Sep 13, 2019 09:00 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

This is the mildest Summer I can remember in the last 10 years. Two years ago, up here, we had several episodes of a week and a half of 105-112 weather, cooling down to a chilly 98 degrees at night. This year, and last year have been cake walks. The only difference has been high humidities, which is far better than 4-9% humidity. We approve.

a-1569191673 Sep 13, 2019 10:05 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Try an gel/ice pack under *each* arm, and when sitting, on your inner thighs! ;-) Back of neck too. I figure you said left arm cuz it's closest to heart; thighs work really well too. Or just a wet t-shirt in front of a fan. Agree on the house heating up, we're all lucky we had 2 relatively cool nights before today. My house got down to 69 for second or third time in about a month. I love the mountains, have lived up there, but am glad I no longer do. I'm a heat wimp.

a-1569191673 Sep 13, 2019 09:33 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

MOUNTAINMAN. I've been saying the same thing to friends and family: *amazingly cool* weather this summer. Last summer I was walking around the house w/ an ice pack under my left arm. Then, in bed at night, I had an icepack wrapped in a light towel, atop my pillow. We live near downtown, and our old house heats up like crazy if there are two hot days in a row. This summer was WONDERFUL. Just enough heat to grow lots of veggies, but not so hot that we had to use a ton of water to do it. Hooray.

LocalMatt Sep 13, 2019 08:13 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

It was 90 at 530pm downtown santa Barbara. Growing up in Santa Barbara, leaving during college and then coming back. I have no recollection of the type of heat I've felt in Santa Barbara over the last 2 years

a-1569191673 Sep 13, 2019 10:00 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Yup. Had cookouts in the backyard in Dec. more than once, starting in the 1970's. Summer doesn't start in SB until September. Sept-Dec. always might be bad with heat and threat of sundowners. I hate it, the older I get and the more traumatized by fires.

a-1569191673 Sep 13, 2019 09:38 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

LOCALMATT. Then your memory is failing you. The hottest weather was usually right when kids went back to school: early Sept. (Now school starts in August, tho.) Temps would get up over 100ºF. We called it "Indian Summer." This 2019 summer was awesomely temperate. A real surprise. However, I am predicting we're going to get another of those HOT HOT spells in November. Anyone else remember when it was 90ºF in November? Not too long ago, either.

Roger Sep 13, 2019 08:44 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

I knew all the weather reports were full of it it's always 10 degrees hotter in my place it felt well over a hundred in here still hot almost 9pm.

Roger Sep 13, 2019 03:13 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Did some recycling took a hit on that and hot as heck out here.

a-1569191673 Sep 13, 2019 02:01 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

No wind advisories as of 2pm, Friday. Here's for tonight (winds out of north are generally sundowners): For 93108, "Patchy dense fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 61. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east northeast in the evening. "

a-1569191673 Sep 13, 2019 09:41 PM
Heat Advisory on Friday

Guarantee you the wind will start blowing any second now. I just spent 20 minutes sweeping my driveway (tons of Eucalyptus leaves). Cleaning up after that tree is my avocation in life. Good exercise.