Gun Shots Heard in Summerland

By an edhat reader

I heard what sounded like gun shots (about 5) in Summerland late Saturday night, around 11:30 pm, June 11th.

We're there any reports to local law enforcement?

sblocalboyz Jun 13, 2022 06:00 AM
Gun Shots Heard in Summerland

There were people lighting fireworks on the beach at this exact time, no gun shots. July 4th is in a few weeks, it’s fireworks season. Bring your cats and dogs inside.

Oldwave Jun 13, 2022 10:36 AM
Gun Shots Heard in Summerland

I thought guns and gun shots were supposed to make you feel safer in this gun crazy country?

steve1111 Jun 26, 2022 02:43 AM
Gun Shots Heard in Summerland

anyone on the west side hear a loud explosion a few minutes ago? it rattled my windows.

Babycakes Jun 26, 2022 08:02 AM
Gun Shots Heard in Summerland

The crazy-loud booms that you are hearing are non-traceable homemade devices. All you need is a plastic bottle with a screw-on cap and either dry ice with a bit of water or a certain toilet cleaner and foil. There are dozens and dozens of readily available vids on YouTube on how to put these highly dangerous and extremely louds "bombs" together. So, if your doorbell rings and nobody is at the door and you see a plastic bottle that contains dry ice or foil....run for the hills! A good friend of mine used to do nearly the same thing with calcium carbide rocks and a paint can, so making these things is not new.

Lucky 777 Jun 26, 2022 11:30 AM
Gun Shots Heard in Summerland

I think STEVE 1111 is commenting on the very LOUD explosions that go rattling up and down Valerio Canyon by the back side of Elings Park every night. I have been told by a neighbor they are not gun shots, but fireworks, but now with BABYCAKES's explanation this is making a lot more sense. I've never seen any aerial displays. The sound is crazy loud, and echoes around so it is impossible to know their origin. Or, for that matter, the point.

Babycakes Jun 26, 2022 12:41 PM
Gun Shots Heard in Summerland

Lucky777: I do not know definitively, but I believe what I've described is the cause of at least some o the loud booms. Maybe it's something else, but the homemade "jobs" are what some of my neighbors set off infrequently. When/if cops show up, there's "nothing to see here." Before anyone asks, I h-a-v-e asked them to refrain, but these are the types who when you ask them to do this or that, only do it worse after you ask them nicely. I also don't want to rat them out, otherwise, everyone knows what happens to snitches!

edney Jun 26, 2022 02:04 PM
Gun Shots Heard in Summerland

Nearly 100% of legal gun owners never want to hear a gun outside the gun range or outside a hunting area. Shooting a gun in an urban environment for no life saving reason is hugely irresponsible and they should be arrested and guns confiscated. People who are prohibited by State or Federal law from firearm possession and still shoot a firearm within a city should do 10 years in prison.

Far left LA County District Attorney claims to be against fireams, but does not charge felonious gang members with a firearm enhancements. Those enhancements sent felons to prison immediately for violation of being prohibited to possess, much less use a firearm. Now they get released on Own Recognizance.