Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

Code 487: Grand Theft, taken was a $12,000 Black Specialized Bicycle on E. Yanonali.

Flicka May 30, 2019 08:45 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

I have always locked my bike. One of my daughters said, "Who do you think would even want your old bike?" Just a standard, rusty old bike but it served my purpose. My husband bought me a newer one (used) from a bike rental place. Not likely to be stolen but I lock it.

rwelsh May 29, 2019 09:09 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

And this will increase. There's an obvious PR push for the whole bike scene here in SB, but with the frequent bike accidents and increasing thefts, the practicality of using a bike instead of a car will soon pale. The resale market for stolen bikes and bike parts is hot. What I want to know is, if the government and higher ups want to push bikes so hard, why aren't they all riding them? I think all the city council members pushing the bike scene should use nothing but a bike for a couple of weeks and see how practical that is. You have to not live anywhere by large hills or narrow streets, you have to not have children, and you have to dress in bike worthy clothes and not care about sweating, which is not practical for many professions. Oh, and I forgot... you have to have a place to store it that is out of reach for the thieves. Biking is GREAT! I love it as a past time. But not if it is forcing your town to take away the ease of using normal sized cars that carry kids, friends, car seats, luggage, groceries, home improvement items, etc.

Factotum May 30, 2019 08:55 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

Fixed rail and subways make European transportation systems work. SB needs to work on fixed rail. Frequent and predictable is what makes transit systems work. People are willing to walk or bike to fixed rail transit systems because they know something will be there when they need it without much planning or waiting.

bosco May 29, 2019 12:46 PM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

I don't disagree (and for the record, I rarely commute by bike for the same reasons). My point is we don't live in a Society that makes an effort to change how we commute. We buy big houses in the suburbs because we aren't willing to live in higher density housing by places of work and schools, we choose parking over more efficient bike paths, we don't support public transportation (in fact, it's considered a "low income" form of transportation), we treat cycling as a hobby and not as a legitimate form of transportation. Our culture has led to community designs that don't prioritize alternative transportation.

a-1563359739 May 29, 2019 11:11 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

BOCSO - I've been to the Netherlands and all over Europe and it's not like Goleta/SB area so you can't really compare. My wife and I both work in SB, live in Goleta and have 2 kids at different schools in Goleta. The distance and # of trips we make each day to/from work and school make riding a bike impossible. In Europe and Netherlands, there are highly efficient bus and train systems that alleviate the need for parents to have to drive their kids all over. We don't have the comparable geographic layout or public transportation on par with over there. As such, you can't compare the two and simply say in the Netherlands no one needs a car, therefore, we don't need them here.

anacapagirl May 29, 2019 11:10 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

What is particularly exciting is that the city and county of Santa Barbara are enhancing safe transportation options for all citizens. More and more local residents are choosing to walk or bike to their destinations and it is incumbent that we offer them safe passageways. Santa Barbara was recently cited as the most bike friendly city in the state of California and our area has become a destination place for the international biking community.

a-1563359739 May 29, 2019 11:01 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

PITMIX - what "many objections" are solved by E-bikes? I only see them helping on hills maybe. The fact remains, for most working adults with children, cycling to/from work or as a sole means of transportation is wildly unpractical.

bosco May 29, 2019 11:00 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

Go to the Netherlands and you'll see how a city addresses every single one of your concerns. This is not practical problem, it's a cultural problem. American's love their cars too much to consider an alternative.

PitMix May 29, 2019 10:45 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

E-bikes remove many of your objections and they are coming down in price. Easy enough to keep your bike in your garage or entry way if you are that paranoid about it being stolen. Once they create bike lanes separated from ever more distracted drivers, bike use could skyrocket. I saw a bunch of retirees riding their E-bikes in the Oak Park neighborhood one Sunday and they were really moving!

Roger May 29, 2019 07:43 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

When I lived at New House many years ago people came there for cheap workers too I was the cheapest in town.

a-1563359739 May 29, 2019 06:20 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

The "Labor line" is not for laborers unless they're new in town.. Otherwise, it is for the sale & use of various types of drugs..I know because I have tried to hire from there on several occasions. It's either $15per hr, or, "Do you need drugs"?. And true, it's a known illegal immigrant zone, as well as the 76 gas-station at the corner. Mayor? Police? ICE? Citizens?...all FAILED!.

PitMix May 29, 2019 10:42 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

Pretty ironic that you are complaining about a system that you tried to take advantage of. Personally I find it pretty easy to get recommendation for workers from other homeowners so I don't have any experience with the Labor Line.

EastBeach May 29, 2019 09:45 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

Yes, could be a top of the line road or mountain bike. Or it could be a "custom build" where the owner added non-factory supplied components. That address looks to be the funk zone.

JayBax May 29, 2019 08:04 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

Not necessarily. Top-of-the-line racing bikes can easily retail for this much. I’ve seen them in the 15/16K range.

LocalMatt May 28, 2019 09:02 PM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

Labor line is first place they go to sell bikes. I really cant believe Santa Barbara allows basically illegal immigrants and signage to go up and furnish bathrooms and a big area for this to happen.

PitMix May 29, 2019 10:40 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

And your proof for this allegation is? Or should we just accept your statement as the truth without any supporting evidence? Pretty sure they are not shopping a 12,000$ bike at the job line with people making $100 per day.

Lucky 777 May 29, 2019 06:13 AM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

It is an embarrassment that we actually pay the wages of a policeman to supervise the "labor line" at the wall and thus legitimize "The Wall" as a source of day laborers. Bring them to your home so they can case the place to return later and steal. They don't contribute to the tax base, their families can live on government subsidized assistance, and are you surprised when your bike is stolen?

a-1563359739 May 28, 2019 10:45 PM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

LOCAL MATT. People love to "go to the wall" for cheap labor. Although . . . I heard a few years back that the workers there have a negotiator and labor prices have risen quite a bit from what they were a while ago.

a-1563359739 May 28, 2019 09:52 PM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

I agree! Thank the hypocrite Joyce Dudley and her failed crusade against the ‘underground economy’. She spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to bust legitimate contractors for fraud but allowed the illegals to continue with cash labor. She’s such a fraud!

Roger May 28, 2019 07:04 PM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

Reporting party is concerned that these crooks are looking around for more bicycles so if you have a bicycle and it's unsecure best lock it up or bring it in the house.

Roger May 28, 2019 07:03 PM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

They are possibly cruising around for bicycles..There is something gold on this bicycle heard this call twice now and wasn't sure if it has gold rims or what. Kinda shocked of the price tag too..

Roger May 28, 2019 07:01 PM
Grand Theft of Specialized Bicycle

From the 200 Block of East Yanonali Suspects 2 HMA's one wearing a grey sweatshirt and black ball cap..