Governor Announces New Stay at Home Order Based on Hospitalizations
By edhat staff
Governor Newsom has enacted a new statewide stay-at-home order when regional areas experience low levels of hospital capacity.
Residents will be required to stay home for three weeks when the hospital's intensive care units (ICUs) reach below 15% capacity.
Currently, no area of California meets this requirement but Newsom stated the state's health team projects many areas could reach the threshold by the end of the week with the majority shutting down this month.
"If we don't act now, our hospital system will be overwhelmed," said Newsom during a virtual press conference on Thursday.
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) is dividing the state into five regions. San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura counties all fall within the "Southern California" region. State health officials are expecting this region to hit the ICU threshold this week prompting a lockdown.
The lockdown would occur for three weeks, similar to lockdown orders in March. Bars, wineries, salons, and personal services would close. Restaurants would be required to close their on-site dining and could only serve takeout or delivery.
Schools, however, would be allowed to stay open if they previously received a waiver. Retail would be reduced to 20% capacity and critical infrastructure would be allowed to remain open.
The other regions include the Bay Area, Greater Sacramento, San Joaquin Valley, and Northern California.
"The five regions that we have highlighted, most of these, four out of the five, we anticipate as early as the next day or two... will have reached that 15% or less ICU capacity," said Newsom.
This is a developing story.