Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law title=
Source: Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office

The City of Goleta Police Department would like to take a moment to provide some important safety information and laws surrounding the use of motorized scooters:

Per California Vehicle Code section 21235, the operator of a motorized scooter shall not do any of the following:
- Operate a motorized scooter without wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet, if the operator is under 18 years of age.
- Operate a motorized scooter without a valid driver’s license or instruction permit.
- Operate a motorized scooter with any passengers in addition to the operator.
- Operate a motorized scooter carrying any package, bundle, or article that prevents the operator from keeping at least one hand upon the handlebars.
- Operate a motorized scooter upon a sidewalk.
- Leave a motorized scooter lying on its side on any sidewalk or park a motorized scooter on a sidewalk in any other position, so that there is no t an adequate path for pedestrian traffic.

It is also unlawful for any person to operate a motorized scooter upon a highway while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage or any drug, or under the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug.

Every person operating a motorized scooter upon a highway is subject to all laws applicable to the driver of a vehicle. Riders seen operating motorized scooters in violation of these laws could receive a citation for one or more violation.

The safety of everyone who share our roads is extremely important. For those who choose to ride motorized scooters, the Goleta Police Department reminds everyone to do so in a safe and legal manner.

The City of Goleta contracts for its law enforcement services with the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office.

a-1553633094 Nov 21, 2018 05:10 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

Per the City of Goleta website: A draft of the ordinance has been posted on the City of Goleta's website: https://www.keyt.com/news/money-and-business/city-of-goleta-considers-banning-electric-scooters/878730572 The City of Goleta wants the public's input before council members vote on the ordinance on Dec. 4. To make your voice heard visit https://www.cityofgoleta.org/ to email officials or call 805-961-7500.

420722 Nov 21, 2018 02:37 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

Portland just ended there pilot e-scooter program yesterday. This too shall pass. I was thinking, aside from being left on the sidewalk, what if one is in the road!? Could cause a major accident. Why not just sell them for a reasonable price? Seems like they would make more money that way.

EastBeach Nov 21, 2018 11:15 AM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

Though I think there are definitely safety issues (as cited in previous posts) I also believe/hope there is some potential for efficiently moving people around without the cost/pollution of cars. I also sense societal issues related to acceptance, appropriate usage, etc.

Luvaduck Nov 21, 2018 08:02 AM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

Too slow to use roads, too fast to use sidewalks and too dangerous on bike lanes. Those going the wrong way in bike lanes thinking they are safer are an unexpected, unseen presence for traffic turning right. Darwin Award volunteers.

420722 Nov 21, 2018 07:20 AM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

After a lawsuit or 5 I think this scooter biz will be out. Saw several of them on their sides up and down hollister. It’s an accident begging to be had. I’m happy with my bike as alternate transportation. Less dangerous and it gets put away in the shed when I’m done riding.

MountainMan4865 Nov 20, 2018 10:24 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

I actually saw an older couple jump out of the way of two people, man and woman, on the sidewalk in Old Town Goleta. The two sets of people that I have seen riding these things (the only ones)... all I could think was, that they were paid to ride them... to be seen riding them. Both sets, two guys (on Calle Real heading East past the massage parlor), and the "couple", were so out of place, and so unusual for the area.... it just looked like advertising.

bosco Nov 21, 2018 09:50 AM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

I saw a couple kids on them in the K-Mart parking lot the other day and thought the same thing. They were just riding around the parking lot in circles. They didn't even look like they were having fun. I just assumed they were with the scooter business. On another note, these things look incredibly unstable. The handle bars are way too high for many people. Hopefully, this fad ends soon.

LocalMatt Nov 20, 2018 08:23 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

My 2 cents. Kids are playing with them for fun. Old town goleta and dp high school. These lime scooter's and bird ex seem to be more of ohhh cool let's try this out! Santa Monica is full of these. The concept is great! When helmet laws are the argument against it, it will basically be stopped. My feeling is if you are stupid enough to ride these things on the streets with cars, you are responsible for yourself. These things are not a big deal on sidewalks for walking around them. Let the market for these things die out over time.

a-1553633094 Nov 20, 2018 09:45 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

These things ARE a big deal when people are riding them on sidewalks. As a partially disabled senior I can't just dance out of their way.

Red Creek Nov 20, 2018 07:21 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

Scooters deposited on corners and middle of sidewalks, in Ellwood open space, at North Campus Open Space, Venoco Road, Girsh Park sidewalks, shopping centers, local neighborhoods around UCSB. Most are serious hazards to pedestrians and bicyclists. Riders without helmets are speeding along on sidewalks, then dumping scooters. I've not seen even one rider following the law, riding legally on a street with a helmet. None are following the laws, so either enforce the laws and remove scooters from hazardous locations or wait until someone is seriously injured so the City (and taxpayers) pay up for not enforcing the law.

Potif Nov 21, 2018 10:29 AM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

Just saw a picture on the news of several parked on the sidewalk... One had fallen on its side, and blocked the whole sidewalk. I know that, with my cane, I would have had to TRY to walk off the curb, which is difficult for me, into the street, and back up the curb, also difficult... to get around it. No, I wouldn't try stepping over it for fear of tripping.

a-1553633094 Nov 21, 2018 09:14 AM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

Try walking around them with a walker, or even a cane, when the sidewalks are already in poor condition. Yes, they are a hazard to an older person, or anyone with a handicap, even when they aren't moving.

a-1553633094 Nov 21, 2018 09:03 AM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

Scooters on the sidewalk shouldn't be a hazard to cyclists. As for pedestrians, can't they just walk around them? I see these as more of a safety hazard to the riders and those around them.

EastBeach Nov 20, 2018 06:41 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

I'm out in Goleta every workday and have seen them proliferate since the summer. Some are stationed right next to my workplace. I was surprised at the speed they can move at and how most users don't wear helmets (I ride mountain bikes and motorcycles so wearing a brain bucket is natch to me).

GeneralTree Nov 20, 2018 06:00 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

I've become certain that these scooters were placed in our city by the Illuminati to track our actions. And so far these are littered all over old town and I've never seen one person ride them.

d8vanilla Nov 20, 2018 04:10 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

And, as a little side-note.... The scooter company has bombarded Craigslist.org with job postings......I'm talking, like 100's of the same job postings, for picking them up and charging them.... postings all in a row., word for word....... ridiculous. (I've been watching a lot of Judge Judy and she uses that word "ridiculous" a lot... yells it". !!!

a-1553633094 Nov 21, 2018 05:03 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

Those who pick them up to charge them are generally charging them at places where they do not pay for electricity (such as an apartment building that doesn't have individual meters). That way other people are paying for charging them.

a-1553633094 Nov 20, 2018 02:12 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

Hazards to the riders. Hazards to drivers - beware! And unlike the Citibikes that actually have to be returned in a bike rack, I’ve seen these scooters get dropped off without thought or consideration, often in the middle of sidewalks or at door thresholds. A friend in the Foothill School District neighborhood was not happy to wake up Saturday morning w four of these scooters planted in front of her house. Why is this ok??

PitMix Nov 21, 2018 08:48 AM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

People in places where the scooters are obstructing their sidewalks are just thowing them in dumpsters. And/or vandalizing them. Doesn't seem like a great business model.

a-1553633094 Nov 20, 2018 01:00 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

No problems setting boundaries for scooters. How about boundaries for illegal, drug-using, campers! Concrete is not a friend, nor is fire started by illegal camping.

S.B.Dutchman Nov 20, 2018 12:56 PM
Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law

The city of Goleta could impound them, as Santa Barbara did. But it would take the County to do something in Isla Vista. I do believe they are a hazard and don't have enough lighting at night. Monday evening just after 5 PM (Dusk) 3 or 4 of the scooters, on the sidewalk of Hollister cross Orange Ave. and back on the sidewalk at speed. It won't be long before someone is seriously injured. If law enforcement cracks down on reckless operators it would send a message to the scooter riders, and go a long way to helping the public accept them.