Goleta Police Remind Scooter Riders of the Law
Source: Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office
The City of Goleta Police Department would like to take a moment to provide some important safety information and laws surrounding the use of motorized scooters:
Per California Vehicle Code section 21235, the operator of a motorized scooter shall not do any of the following:
- Operate a motorized scooter without wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet, if the operator is under 18 years of age.
- Operate a motorized scooter without a valid driver’s license or instruction permit.
- Operate a motorized scooter with any passengers in addition to the operator.
- Operate a motorized scooter carrying any package, bundle, or article that prevents the operator from keeping at least one hand upon the handlebars.
- Operate a motorized scooter upon a sidewalk.
- Leave a motorized scooter lying on its side on any sidewalk or park a motorized scooter on a sidewalk in any other position, so that there is no t an adequate path for pedestrian traffic.
It is also unlawful for any person to operate a motorized scooter upon a highway while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage or any drug, or under the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug.
Every person operating a motorized scooter upon a highway is subject to all laws applicable to the driver of a vehicle. Riders seen operating motorized scooters in violation of these laws could receive a citation for one or more violation.
The safety of everyone who share our roads is extremely important. For those who choose to ride motorized scooters, the Goleta Police Department reminds everyone to do so in a safe and legal manner.
The City of Goleta contracts for its law enforcement services with the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office.