Glimpses of Future and Past

By John Wiley

I read recently about Santa Barbara's solar future and noticed this rooftop in a pic from our recent local flight - can you guess where this construction site is?

The second site is the future Miramar project of course. I reflected on the past as we passed Laguna Blanca with a clear view out to the islands with hints of how that scene has looked at various times back into pre-history.

yin yang Jul 01, 2017 08:54 PM
Glimpses of Future and Past

Oh. Duh, whoops. I "assumed" the solar site was Miramar. I'm an ass. Never mind. lol

yin yang Jul 01, 2017 08:53 PM
Glimpses of Future and Past

Good to see your photos and stories; thanks as always. Once one clicks through the pics, it's not really worth posting a guess. :-) Thanks, John.

John Wiley Jun 30, 2017 05:47 PM
Glimpses of Future and Past

I was curious about Bug Girl's comment regarding the ability to zoom in on pix (like the aerials I sent Ed today for the 101 Carp article). On my Samsung S4 Android phone, I can tap on a pic and then pinch zoom and pan to look in detail. Maybe it's different on other devices (iPhones, tablets, etc.) or OS versions? For comparison I also tried it on SBcitizen.com where it's glitchy, and on ja4u.net where it's a bit better but the new Edhat seems best of the 3. Am I missing something? Can anyone recommend a site where it's best of all?

John Wiley Jun 30, 2017 03:16 PM
Glimpses of Future and Past

For anyone interested in the "Future Solar" pic, I've posted followup pix on SBcitizen.com and named the construction site. :)

Bug Girl Jun 30, 2017 10:38 AM
Glimpses of Future and Past

another new thing about edhat, is that although the slide show format of multiple pictures is sort of nice, since they're no longer embedded into the actual site in the same way, those of us with small screens can no longer zoom in to the details of these nice high resolution aerial photos. I used to do that so I could see the remarkable details from Mr. Wiley's submissions but alas, this is no longer an option.

John Wiley Jun 29, 2017 01:54 PM
Glimpses of Future and Past

No guesses on the construction location? I notice that the sequence of pix on Edhat starts with that beautiful view to the islands, so the "puzzle" site (I like the blue notation :) Fixed the typo, but this looks like it'll be a duplicate rather than an edit. Wasn't there an Edit option when the new Edhat came online recently?

John Wiley Jun 29, 2017 01:50 PM
Glimpses of Future and Past

No guesses on the construction location? I notice that the sequence of pix on Edhat starts with that beautiful view to the islands, so the "puzzle" site (I like the is the blue notation :)