By an edhat reader

This morning I noticed a man in a blue jumpsuit and orange vest walking around my house and into my backyard. I asked what he was doing and he said he was with the gas company. We don't have any issues with our gas line and didn't call for service. I watched him walk around the neighborhood but didn't see a truck or anything.

Is it legal for Socal Gas Company to have employees walk onto private property without permission or notice?

jak Apr 11, 2019 08:51 AM
Gas Company on Private Property?

Utilities will provide their workers with picture ID badges, and you should always ask to see it before allowing access to your property. If they hesitate at all, that’s worth a call to the police department and if anything about the interaction feels threatening in any way a 911 call. FYI, many utilities require their field staff to wear their picture ID while interacting with the public/customers.

sb61 Apr 11, 2019 05:03 AM
Gas Company on Private Property?

Came home once years ago and had a large hole in my yard, gas company detected a leak and were having to repair the line. They left a note on my door and said they would return the next day and put everything back the way it was. Glad they discovered it before it blew up

PitMix Apr 11, 2019 08:53 AM
Gas Company on Private Property?

You are talking about your front yard, right? Where the line from the street comes into the meter next to your house? It seems like this individual was wandering around other parts of the property.

Always_Running Apr 10, 2019 06:07 PM
Gas Company on Private Property?

I’ve had this problem happen about a year ago with the electric company . They trimmed my trees while I was on vacation. I purchased a outdoor yard lock. The lock is a 3 digit code. Every time they need access they need to knock & notify.

a-1561543554 Apr 10, 2019 05:44 PM
Gas Company on Private Property?

IF he is a gas rep it's legal. IF he is a gas rep he should have a work shirt and other proof of employment on him, usually a clipboard at a minimum. Don't trust anyone at their word

pstarSR Apr 10, 2019 04:16 PM
Gas Company on Private Property?

like others have said, completely legal and reasonable. if you have gas service for your house, you are required to allow service personnel to access it, its in the service contract you sign when service is initiated.

a-1561543554 Apr 10, 2019 02:11 PM
Gas Company on Private Property?

I have run into these meter readers on occasion. Always ALWAYS the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. That said, I always take a good look and make sure these guys are with the company. Most home burglaries happen in broad daylight.

a-1561543554 Apr 10, 2019 11:43 AM
Gas Company on Private Property?

100% legal, they have an easement on every property served and do not need to provide notice. They're even legally allowed to cut locks or fences, with no reimbursement required, if they deny access to the meter, though I've never heard of this happening locally. Now, this doesn't mean you shouldn't ask for ID from someone on your property, if they are with a utility they will have plenty of identification handy to show you.

oceandrew Apr 10, 2019 10:57 AM
Gas Company on Private Property?

Yes it's legal. I had a gas leak in an outside line (pool heater) but didn't notice it and my neighbour did so he called the Gas Co. Wish he'd notified me (my neighbour) so I wouldn't have had a heart attack seeing someone walking around my property one day. He found the source of the leak and shut off the line. No one died.

a-1561543554 Apr 10, 2019 11:44 AM
Gas Company on Private Property?

It's possible he reported gas smell without knowing where it came from, then the gas company zoned in on it with their special equipment. Be glad you have a vigilant neighbor!

sacjon Apr 10, 2019 10:51 AM
Gas Company on Private Property?

Looks like So Cal Gas has an easement on all properties to access/read meters. Here's a little more info if you're interested - see Section A(10) (page 2): https://www.socalgas.com/regulatory/tariffs/tm2/pdf/21.pdf

Ahchooo Apr 10, 2019 10:44 AM
Gas Company on Private Property?

They are allowed to come on private property to read the gas meter. I would call the gas company if he was anywhere beyond the meter.

Luvaduck Apr 11, 2019 11:20 AM
Gas Company on Private Property?

You can find all sorts of gas, electric, Cox and other business shirts at a thrift store or make one that looks official.