By an edhat reader

There's a man with no mask or gloves putting flyers on every car in West Beach. This happens once a month. Can anything be done to stop this?

Ahchooo Oct 19, 2020 08:51 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Contact the business that the flyers are advertising and tell them your concerns. Let us know if that helps.

a-1603122893 Oct 19, 2020 08:54 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Is this a serious question? Do you read a newspaper? Do you pick up a list of specials at the grocery store? If you are really worried about the flyer you can wait 9 hours and then recycle it. Or if you have some need to butt in you can don a hazmat suit and recover all the flyers and burn them. Or you could just move along.

OpossumBoy Oct 19, 2020 09:06 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Yes, it was clearly a serious question, a question which you chose not to answer. Instead you went off on some extremely rude, self-promoting, pompous rant. Get a grip, dude.

a-1603124460 Oct 19, 2020 09:21 AM
Flyers at West Beach

I'm not the OP, but I don't read a newspaper, I don't pick up a list of specials at the grocery store, I do with 24 hours before reading my mail, I do wear a mask, I won't vote for Trump, I am COVID-free.

a-1603124520 Oct 19, 2020 09:22 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Oops: " I WAIT 24 hours", not " I do WITH 24 hours"...

Getoffmylawn Oct 19, 2020 09:12 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Yes! Take them off the car and put it in the trash.
These questions are laughable.

SBLIFE Oct 19, 2020 09:19 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Weird comments. I agree with OP and so does the law, I don't understand why or agree that anyone should have the right to touch your car. I've had flyers stuffed down between my car window and seal, actually bending the seal! I certainly don't want anyone touching my windshield wipers, those are sensitive and expensive to fix. Anyway, it is a MISDEMEANOR CRIME to put flyers on people's cars, for good reason. Keep your hands and your flyers to yourself, please. https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-556-1.html

RHS Oct 19, 2020 06:10 PM
Flyers at West Beach

SBLife: No thanks for your incorrect citation. The law you reference applies to material placed on government properties, not windshields of private cars. (PC 556 It is a misdemeanor for any person to place or maintain, or cause to be placed or maintained without lawful permission upon any property of the State, or of a city or of a county, any sign, picture, transparency, advertisement, or mechanical device which is used for the purpose of advertising or which advertises or brings to notice any person, article of merchandise, business or profession, or anything that is to be or has been sold, bartered, or given away.)

SBLIFE Oct 20, 2020 08:00 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Actually RHS, no thanks for your snark, it appears you clicked the "BACK" button on my link, so you're not even citing my citation. You are citing 556, when I linked 556.1. Here is the full text, with no back button available to confuse: "It is a misdemeanor for any person to place or maintain or cause to be placed or maintained upon any property in which he has no estate or right of possession any sign, picture, transparency, advertisement, or mechanical device which is used for the purpose of advertising, or which advertises or brings to notice any person, article of merchandise, business or profession, or anything that is to be or has been sold, bartered, or given away, without the consent of the owner, lessee, or person in lawful possession of such property before such sign, picture, transparency, advertisement, or mechanical device is placed upon the property."

RHS Oct 20, 2020 10:44 AM
Flyers at West Beach

SB Life, my apologies. I misread your cite as the ".1" seemed part of the address. My bad. I am not clear however that the "property" it defines includes personal property and not real property. I think it probably does. I would like it to do so. I am not a fan of this sort of litter. But enforcement is an impossible task I think.

OpossumBoy Oct 19, 2020 09:19 AM
Flyers at West Beach

I always thought this type of commercial flyer distribution was illegal. Call Lynn Goebel of the Legal Resource Center at the S.B. Superior Court (805) 568-3303. She’ll be able to help with questions of law.

Z Oct 19, 2020 10:08 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Call County Health. Those cars should be impounded for two weeks.

pstarSR Oct 19, 2020 10:45 AM
Flyers at West Beach

super funny, get this guy his out stand up show.

PitMix Oct 19, 2020 11:17 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Can't be here then, we are not First World any longer. Poverty, racism, gangs, education, crumbling highways and brids, electrical grid, fires, Iowa wind storms causing 7.5B damage. Barely 2nd world when you think about.

PitMix Oct 19, 2020 11:21 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Why do people have to be so rude? Does it give you pleasure to demean other people? From what I've heard, the risk of the virus living very long on a piece of paper that is one of a stack and only handled for a second is very low, and it is unlikely that you could pick up enough virus and get it in your nose or eye and cause you to be sick. So this is a very low risk thing compared to all of the other situations that could expose you to the virus.

sacjon Oct 19, 2020 11:40 AM
Flyers at West Beach

Take the flyer off your car window, read the subject of the flyer, then contact the person/entity making the flyer and ask them to stop advertising, then throw the flyer in the recycle bin. Repeat as needed.

Nature Boy Oct 19, 2020 08:58 PM
Flyers at West Beach

I’m not a doctor, so do your own research before believing me outright, but I wouldn’t worry too much about catching Covid from a flyer left on your car. The overwhelming majority of Covid transmission is from breathing an infected person’s exhaled breath, not by touching something that was previously touched.

oceandrew Oct 20, 2020 07:43 AM
Flyers at West Beach

So what's the issue here? Is it the distribution of unwanted fliers? Or is it the apparent lack of prophylactic protection against Covid-19? 'Coz I've seen grocery store employees stocking shelves without gloves and wearing masks that hung off their chins and my mailbox is stuffed daily with unwanted "fliers" by a federal employee not wearing gloves or a mask. Where's the beef?

biguglystick Oct 20, 2020 12:28 PM
Flyers at West Beach

GeneralTree... you are right. Talk about FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS! Sheeesh.