First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara title=

Source: Santa Barbara County Public Health Department

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department (PHD) has confirmed the first case of measles in the county since 2016. The person identified is a resident of Santa Barbara in his 20s. The individual is considered infectious between May 25, 2019 through June 2, 2019 but has been in isolation since May 29, 2019.

The PHD is confident that the exposure was limited, as the individual spent much of his infectious period outside the county of Santa Barbara. At this time, the PHD is involved in contacting and interviewing persons who may have been exposed to the individual to confirm immunization and immunity status. PHD is also working closely with Riverside County, Los Angeles County, Ventura County, and San Francisco, as the individual traveled to these areas during his infectious period.

“We highly encourage every person to know their measles vaccination status by checking in with their health care providers. Measles is a highly contagious virus that spreads easily by air and through direct contact with someone who is infected. The MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine is safe and highly effective in protecting individuals from contracting measles,” shared Dr. Henning Ansorg, Health Officer for the PHD.

The PHD investigates all contacts the person may have had to prevent any additional spread of measles. PHD also communicates with local healthcare providers to ensure timely identification of illness and to prevent the spread of disease.

For more information on measles, checking immunization status, and protecting yourself, please visit https://countyofsb.org/phd/measles2019/.

Shasta Guy Jun 03, 2019 01:01 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

Don’t play Russian Roulette with your kids, have them vaccinated. With the anti-vax movement taking such a hard grip on some people, eventually some kids are going to have some serious lifelong medical issues when they get one of these preventable diseases. Measles now, Polio later. It’s only a matter of time. My kids are up to date with all their vaccinations so no worries here. Macpuzl and I have our disagreements, but I’m lockstep with him on this.

steve1111 Jun 02, 2019 10:42 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

If vaccines were proven safe & effective in independent clinical double-blind studies, I would think they could be a good thing. But there has never been a study of this kind for vaccines. Therefore, vaccines are simply a cult based on blind belief and common consensus.

PitMix Jun 04, 2019 09:02 AM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

A double blind study means you take 1000s of kids, and you vaccinate 1/2 of them, then you expose all of them to the disease and monitor the results. They would never let some pharmaceutical company do this to humans, much less kids. Complication from measles are: "Seizures (with or without fever) are reported in 0.6%–0.7% of cases. Death from measles was reported in approximately 0.2% of the cases in the United States from 1985 through 1992. As with other complications of measles, the risk of death is highest among young children and adults." If Millions of kids were unvaccinated and got measles there would be thousands with seizures and 100's dead. Complications from the vaccines “The risk of a serious neurological disorder within 14 days after measles vaccine in previously normal children irrespective of eventual clinical outcome is 1 in 87,000 immunizations.” or 0.0011%. The risk is not 0, but based in this data it is better to vaccinate.

macpuzl Jun 02, 2019 10:54 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

More like effective treatments based on centuries of medical data. But, hey, not everyone like to make life-or-death decisions based on rational thought, so go ahead and call it a cult.

Rinconer Jun 01, 2019 08:50 AM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

The Senior Vaccine Scientist at the CDC, Dr. William Thompson disagrees, based on the ingredients, the adjuvants, and the massive fraud uncovered with the MMR vaccine in August, 2014. You can read his story here: www.vaxxed.com Or how about a former Merck employee, who knows better than someone who worked there? Www.learntherisk.org

macpuzl Jun 01, 2019 01:22 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

The various incarnations (movie, website, publications) of vaccine fallacies concocted by the people behind the Vaxxed franchise of falsehoods: ===================================================================================== https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/four-vaccine-myths-and-where-they-came

macpuzl Jun 01, 2019 01:12 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

You can find out about fraudster Dr. William Thompson at: =========================================================================== https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bad-medicine/ =========================================================================== https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/did-a-high-ranking-whistleblower-really-reveal-that-the-cdc-covered-up-proof-that-vaccines-cause-autism-in-african-american-boys/

a-1560836456 May 31, 2019 09:26 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

I remember getting two types of measles when I was a child (before the days of vaccinations and most kids got them). One of them (I think that we called it the Red Measles) meant that I was kept in a dark room for 10 days. The other was a 3 day affair which was much milder. I seem to remember that they were recommending that all the young girls should be exposed to them least they get them years later when pregnant.

shorebird Jun 01, 2019 10:00 AM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

The reason they wanted girls to have measles before they got pregnant is that measles while pregnant results in a blind and DD baby. This was before vaccines were available.

a-1560836456 May 31, 2019 10:38 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

Measles parties were popular in the 1950s and 1960s before the MMR vaccine program was introduced for measles, mumps and rubella. The practice of measles parties is based on the belief that infected children will build up immunity to the virus because once someone has the measles they cannot catch it again.

ParvoPup May 31, 2019 07:32 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

I had Rubella (German Measles) as a kid and spent three weeks blinded by the infection in my eyes. Bet your butt my younger brothers and sisters got the vaccine when it became available the following year. I cannot fathom why a parent would say no for their child unless they truly have no family memory of the days before vaccines. If so, they are going to just love it when Polio comes back to town.

sb93105 May 31, 2019 06:32 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

i wonder if the measles outbreak has anything to do with 100,000 plus crossing the border EVERY MONTH- we can not possible vaccinate thousands and thousands people plus some of the vaccines require more then one injection ? There is not enough room in detention centers and its impossible to track and place this many people?

Abc109 Jun 01, 2019 04:56 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

Macpuzl, unfortunately the current sentiment in America is one of disdain for education and knowledge. "Alternative facts" are more welcome than actual facts.

macpuzl Jun 01, 2019 03:44 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

"Over educated" is an interesting term. Do you think there's something wrong with having knowledge? Please elucidate. Oh, sorry, big word. Please explain/

macpuzl Jun 01, 2019 01:02 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

If you visit the World Health Organization website on worldwide vaccination rates, you'll see that the rate of vaccination against measles (and many other communicable diseases) is higher in Mexico and most other Central American nations than it is in the US. We're more likely to be infecting the immigrants. It is an enduring racist ploy to blame immigrants for diseases and social decay. ========================================================================= http://apps.who.int/immunization_monitoring/globalsummary/timeseries/tscoveragemcv2.html

sb93105 Jun 01, 2019 08:02 AM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

are you serious ? Your calling me a raciest for asking a question? yours stats are useless without a flipping document that supports it or flipping ID that proves it- sorry pal we all need to provide this when we travel, attend a school or send our kids on a plane-

macpuzl May 31, 2019 08:41 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

The only Central American countries with vaccination rates lower than the US (94%) are Belize (91%), El Salvador (85%), and Guatemala (76%). Doing better than the US or the same are Panama (99+%), Costa Rica (99+%), Nicaragua (95%), and Honduras (94%). We should worry about Canada (87%), UK (88%), France (80%), Italy (82%) to name a few. But the racists here would rather not. =========================================================== http://apps.who.int/immunization_monitoring/globalsummary/timeseries/tscoveragemcv2.html

macpuzl May 31, 2019 07:15 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

If you visit the World Health Organization site, you will see that Mexico has a higher rate of vaccination coverage for measles than the US. We're more likely to be infecting them.

Shasta Guy Jun 02, 2019 07:43 AM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

Thanks for info Fitness1. I didn’t think it could recur until Roger said he had it more than once. It was like a red hot burning knife in my side. I didn’t dare let my pain med wear off before I took the next one. Shingles usually occurs later in life as a shocking surprise. Mine broke out benignly in my mid torso region, it can be devistating if it emerges in the nerve endings serving your face and eyes. Everyone should consider a vaccine for this especially as they get older.

Fitness1 Jun 01, 2019 05:31 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

Shasta, you can get the shingles shot even if you have already had shingles. It's worth it...most painful thing I've ever had, and I've had a compound fracture, bowel obstruction, concussion, etc, etc. Shingles was the worst! The shot can help prevent a recurrence, which is more common than many believe.

macpuzl May 31, 2019 05:45 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

I don't know whether it will help if you've already had shingles, but there is an improved shingles vaccine out now called Shingrix that is much improved. Might be worth asking your pharmacist.

Shasta Guy May 31, 2019 05:28 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

I got shingles in my 20s after a period of extreme personal stress. I still have scars on my side. It was the most painful thing I ever had. I hope they don’t ever develop again.

Potif May 31, 2019 04:36 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

Back around 1958, I had such a mild case of the measles, that the only reason they were pretty sure that I had them was because my father came down with them after the right incubation time period. He was hospitalized for them. Since I was only 10, they wouldn’t let me visit him because at my age, ‘I might give him something’! My reply to that was, ‘I already did!!’ Yes, most ‘childhood’ diseases can be disastrous for an adult.

Abc109 May 31, 2019 04:23 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

UN-believable. I have a dear friend with a daughter who cannot get vaccinated because of legitimate medical reasons (who's to say this 20-something couldn't, either I guess?). People who CHOOSE to not vaccinate are sending us back into the dark ages.

Flicka May 31, 2019 04:03 PM
First Measles Case of 2019 Reaches Santa Barbara

I think the once called "childhood illnesses" can be especially hard on adults. With measles children and adults can go blind and other debilitating problems; some die even. If had chicken pox as a child the virus remains in the body and can pop up as shingles in later adult years and be especially painful, also can cause blindness. So easy to prevent!