Firefighters Rescue Woman Trapped in Sand

Firefighters Rescue Woman Trapped in Sand title=
Firefighters Rescue Woman Trapped in Sand
Photo: Santa Barbara Fire Department
Update by Santa Barbara City Fire Department
9:52 a.m., July 10, 2018

At approximately 7:50 am Santa Barbara City Firefighters responded to a report of a female trapped in the sand at Garden and Cabrillo Blvd.

Fire Crews arrived on scene to find a 73-year-old female who was trapped in waist-deep sand at the mouth of Mission Creek.  The recent surf from Hurricane Fabio pushed water into the river mouth and created a “quicksand” effect.  Due to the nature of the conditions fire crews were getting stuck in the sand while attempting to perform the rescue.  Firefighters used a roof ladder to gain stability to free the trapped victim.

The victim was assessed by AMR and had no medical complaints.  Firefighters used shovels to fill the hole created by the rescue to prevent future entrapments.  Please use caution when walking on the beach in this area.

By Roger the Scanner Guy
7:55 a.m., July 10, 2018

Female stuck in the Sand... Waste Deep Garden at Cabrillo Engines one, Two and AMR on scene.

PitMix Jul 11, 2018 02:12 PM
Firefighters Rescue Woman Trapped in Sand

The quicksand they used to show in the movies seemed a lot more liquidy and you kept sinking until you were immersed. This seemed to be deep mud but that can also be hard to get out of.

Luvaduck Jul 11, 2018 08:59 AM
Firefighters Rescue Woman Trapped in Sand

FYI: the way to deal with unexpected quicksand is the same as dealing with cracking/thin ice. Prone or supine, spread your body weight out as evenly as possible and "swim" or wiggle away if you can or await rescue. This wouldn't have helped this woman since it was a discrete hole in the ground.

a-1566362682 Jul 10, 2018 07:55 PM
Firefighters Rescue Woman Trapped in Sand

I'm glad she was walking around smiling ( according to NostraChumash). Falling in a hole is no laughing matter. Quicksand is something I remember from old Tarzan TV shows. Not funny in reality, but from a distance, it does sound rather amusing.

NostraChumash Jul 10, 2018 08:46 AM
Firefighters Rescue Woman Trapped in Sand

I watched the rescue.. Elderly, slightly heavy.. Fell into a big hole that had been dug at the creek mouth & had filled with water & sand. She fell waist-deep & became stuck. 10 mins of digging & she was out walking around & smiling... Yay firefighters.

Roger Jul 10, 2018 08:59 AM
Firefighters Rescue Woman Trapped in Sand

One time many years ago I was walking on the beach near the wharf and a sort of sink hole opened up in front of me it was very deep and I had to move fast to keep myself from falling in. I t where the Beach nourishment project was no more walking on the beach for me.