Fire Department PSA: Use Proper Addresses
Source: Santa Barbara County Fire Department
The Santa Barbara County Fire Department would like to remind people of the importance of residential and commercial addressing. Every day, and more importantly every night, fire engines, ambulances and other emergency vehicles respond to residences and commercial buildings for calls of service. Often times, those responding are delayed in delivering life-saving care due to the lack of addressing on the building or the ability to see clearly see it.
A house or business that is properly addressed allows emergency responders to provide emergency medical services, fire suppression and law enforcement response much more efficiently. The following guidelines should be used when addressing your house or business:
1. Addressing numbers should be Four (4) inch tall minimum (residential) and six (6) inch minimum (commercial).
2. Numbers color contrasting to background for ease of recognition.
3. Visible from both directions of travel.
4. Placarded clearly on the structure. Think about vegetation obscuring view.
5. Recommend placarding secondary location from structure for positive identification in case of catastrophic event.
6. Numbers are to be used. Do not spell out the numerical designation.