Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

A subject was electrocuted at the El Estero Waste Water Plant.

a-1510253303 Nov 09, 2017 10:48 AM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

For some reason, the news media these days ALWAYS uses the term incorrectly. "Electrocuted" = dead. Always. "Was shocked," or "received a serious electrical shock" = alive.

a-1510253572 Nov 09, 2017 10:52 AM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

Maybe you should take this on and start a campaign informing dispatchers and media people on the proper use of the term. Orrrrr.........you could just let it go since it does not affect you in any way. Just a thought.

a-1510265836 Nov 09, 2017 02:17 PM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

You are wrong. Electrocute means: "to kill or severely injure by electric shock"

Now enough of this stupid argument!

a-1510267902 Nov 09, 2017 02:51 PM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

But you are wrong. The definition of electrocute is "to kill or severely injure by electric shock". Look it up. You are wrong, so yes, my "let it go" attitude is apt. Please stop embarrassing yourself!

Roger Nov 09, 2017 04:59 PM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

I am not the media and I report what I hear maybe he was severly injured...Professional dispatchers and Doctors on Edhat.

tagdes Nov 09, 2017 10:49 AM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

Dispatch should say "possible electrocution" or "electrical shock" on these calls. Cuz if they ain't dead they haven't been electrocuted.

tagdes Nov 09, 2017 01:51 PM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

Roger as a County Roads retiree I dispatched and coordinated dispatches between us and County Fire and SO for several days straight on the Paint Fire and both of the El Nino floods in the 90's working 11-12 hour days along with driving through flooding in downtown Goleta late at night as a laiaison to facilitate rescues from flooding along Dearborn Place and south Kellogg. So... I don't need a job.

Roger Nov 09, 2017 02:07 PM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

What is this another election? If you think you know better than the current dispatcher why don't you apply for their job. I'm neither interested in running for office nor being better than anyone.

snag Nov 10, 2017 06:58 AM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

Despite all this meaningless bickering over semantics, isn’t it good to know that the patient is ok, alert, and breathing on his own?

StevenLeuck Nov 10, 2017 10:10 AM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

This is a hilarious argument (electrocuted or shocked). I've been an electrical contractor for 40 years now. I've been accidentally electrocuted a few more times than I'd like to admit - as have most electricians. At no time in the past 60 years (at least) has the term electrocuted meant death. Merriam-Webster says that the origin of the word DID come partially from "execute" but the current use has been injure or kill for a LONG TIME.
The Merriam Webster reference can be easily be found at merriam-webster-DOTcom/dictionary/electrocute.

StevenLeuck Nov 10, 2017 10:11 AM
Electrocution at Waste Water Plant

BTW, I really hope the guy fully recovers. The kind of voltage and amperage available in a treatment facility can cause life long injury. Get well soon!!