Dr. Philip R Delio named Physician of the Year

Source: Central Coast Medical Association

The Central Coast Medical Association awarded Philip R Delio, MD, as the 2019 Physician of the Year for Santa Barbara County. The honor is for a physician who has worked to improve the quality of health care, contributed to the education of other physicians, and engaged in community service and other activities outside of medicine.

Dr. Andy Gersoff presented the award to Dr. Delio and described him as a physician, healer, teacher, and nurturer. After graduating from Georgetown University School of Medicine, Dr. Delio was interviewed by Dr. Gersoff for an internship at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital. Dr. Gersoff still has his notes from that interview, and he had written, “A keeper.”

Following his time at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, Dr. Delio completed his neurology residency and fellowship at Stanford University before returning to Santa Barbara and joining the Neurology Associates in 2001. Dr. David Frecker stated, “Bringing him into the practice was the best thing I’ve ever done.”

He was Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital’s Internal Medicine Residency Program’s Teach of the Year twice, was instrumental in obtaining Advanced Certification for Comprehensive Stroke Centers by the Joint Commission, and is currently Chief of Staff. He is also the Vice Chair of the Department of Neurology and Medical Director of the Stroke Program.

Besides his work at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, Dr. Delio is an adjunct professor in the Department of Psychology with the University of California, Santa Barbara. Dr. Delio served as president of the Santa Barbara County Medical Society in 2010 and was also a delegate to the California Medical Association’s House of Delegates.

Upon receiving his award, Dr. Delio recognized his colleagues who continuously raise the bar on the practice of medicine in our community, and said he tries to emulate the physicians he admires. Dr. Delio also thanked his wife and two daughters for their support and said the award is as much theirs as it is his.

The mission of the Central Coast Medical Association is promoting the science and art of medicine, care and well-being of patients, protection of the public health, and betterment of the medical profession. The 600-physician member organization includes medical doctors of all specialties throughout San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties. For more information, visit www.CCMAHealth.org

jsavell Jan 10, 2020 10:52 PM
Dr. Philip R Delio named Physician of the Year

Neurologists typically do detailed examinations and see few patients per day. Medicare pays $220 for a level 5 exam on a new patient and we know that Medicare underpays, sometimes below the cost of doing business. Therefore $400 is not unreasonable for the private pay charge on a new patient.

Bene Jan 06, 2020 02:06 PM
Dr. Philip R Delio named Physician of the Year

Dr. Delio is an excellent doctor and for stroke he is especially the best choice. But it is true about the wait for appointments. My mom urgently needs to see him and we have been waiting more than 5 months for an appointment in February. I've never had less than a 3 month wait, and sometimes he is booking out even further. Good doctors are becoming more and more difficult to see . Can't blame them. There is only one of them and too many patients. If you don't like this, once socialized medicine gets going, be prepared for triple the waits to where you can die waiting to get in. Can't train competent new doctors fast enough to serve the burgeoning population of sick people. And seeing a not so good doctor is probably more dangerous than going to a witch doctor. There are not currently enough incentives--financial or otherwise-- to attract enough good new doctors.

pinkyme Jan 06, 2020 08:25 AM
Dr. Philip R Delio named Physician of the Year

Dr. Delio had been my neurologist for years. He's the best. I was with Sansum clinic for years and went undiagnosed for years by 2 of their neurologists. I switched to PPO insurance and I was diagnosed within 3 months after seeing Dr Delio. He's great and so caring. He came to visit me everytime I've been in the hospital.

BullseyeB Jan 06, 2020 07:46 AM
Dr. Philip R Delio named Physician of the Year

Dr. Delio was my neurologist at Cottage Hospital when I had awakened after two seizures caused by a previously unknown brain tumor. He was very kind, extremely helpful but most of all made me feel safe. This is a well earned honor. Congratulations, Dr. Delio! Thank you for your expertise and bedside manner.

a-1582006820 Jan 05, 2020 05:04 PM
Dr. Philip R Delio named Physician of the Year

When my father had Lou Gehrig's Disease and was dying this was his doctor and he was so amazing to my father and all of us! Well-deserved honor, excellent doctor, way to go!

a-1582006820 Jan 05, 2020 01:57 PM
Dr. Philip R Delio named Physician of the Year

What criteria is used!?!?!? I was referred to him after my stroke and called to make an appt. I was told HE DID NOT ACCEPT INSURANCE AND FIRST VISIT WAS ~$400. She then went on to say he had no availability for months? Clearly the criteria does not include affordability or access.

a-1582006820 Jan 06, 2020 09:09 AM
Dr. Philip R Delio named Physician of the Year

He's not the only Neuro but he also used to have hours that he did at the County Clinic, which more than balances out his expensive private practice fees with that of the clinic. He's a really good Dr. and deserves this award, and yes, it may make it harder to get in to see him but that's how life is. We have other good Docs too!

a-1582006820 Jan 05, 2020 05:05 PM
Dr. Philip R Delio named Physician of the Year

There may have been other things going on where he just didn't have the availability at the time. Luckily he is not the only neurologist in town! I hope you wete able to get the care that you needed!

woodruff Jan 05, 2020 04:12 PM
Dr. Philip R Delio named Physician of the Year

This was my experience also. I am not wealthy, and cannot afford valet medicine. Curious. I suppose the guy is actually unusually gifted medically, but he certainly is not for the common man.