Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways title=

Source: City of Santa Barbara

When left on the ground, dog litter can wash untreated into storm drains, which flow directly into creeks and the ocean. This can pass on bacteria, parasites, and viruses and is harmful to creek and ocean water quality.

Minibeast Feb 25, 2020 11:17 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

If you could see the huge pieces of styrofoam and plastic bottles and plastic balls and single-use plastic bags and other plastic junk in Atascadero Creek———right this minute———you would know dog poop is the least of the creek and ocean pollution problem. I’m calling County Flood Control today, to find out why those gyres of plastic float in that creek, in myriad locations, day after day. Where’s the clean up?

sacjon Feb 25, 2020 11:27 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Minibeast - doesn't mean dog poo isn't a problem. Also, it's worth alerting the public because most people don't even think about the bacteria that flows from poo into the ocean. ALL pollution is worth avoiding.

Minibeast Feb 25, 2020 11:50 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

SACJON. Agreed. What also needs to be addressed re: dog poop is the fact that even the "biodegradable" poop bags break down into micro plastics, thanks to chemical additives, and thus remain as environmental pollution. People need to start using fully compostable, not "biodegradable," dog poop bags: "Products made of plastics that allege to decompose naturally in the environment are often 'oxo-biodegradable,' meaning they contain chemical additives that break down plastic into smaller fragments. There’s no evidence that these materials completely degrade, and experts don’t believe oxo-biodegradable plastic products are a sustainable solution. Ultimately, oxo-biodegradable products become less visible but can cause the same damage to the planet that any other plastic can." (Huff Post)

a-1582662038 Feb 25, 2020 12:20 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Different pollutants, different effects. Dog poop, and bacteria in general, is certainly not the "least of our problems" just because you can't see it! Glad you are calling and getting involved. Sometimes big agencies just don't know about problems happening, it's up to us as citizens to do our own due diligence in reporting issues as well.

ZeroHawk Feb 25, 2020 01:17 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Minibeast, post some photos, otherwise this is just hearsay. I'm an avid hiker and spend a lot of equal time at the beach(es). I've yet to see ONE plastic bag in a creek or the beach. Same with plastic straws. CEC in santa barbara, great organization, but they have a tendency to post propaganda photos showing a creek with about 2 dozen somewhat new looking plastic straws and some bags in the creek. I can do that too....drive to a creek, place some debris in it and take a photo. "Hey look guys, plastic straws are ruining the environment." says the owner of the new metal straw company...lol

ZeroHawk Feb 25, 2020 01:19 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

look people....a few dog turds in the sea isn't going to harm the ocean or beaches, considering the huge amounts of nature oil seepage, leaking oil wells, massive amounts of run off, and let's NOT FORGET....taking tons of mud and creek debris and dumping it at goleta beach <--that hurts the environment, not a few dog turds. Our feces contains very harmful bacteria as well, frankly, we're safer handling a dog turd over one of ours.

Minibeast Feb 25, 2020 04:35 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

ZEROHAWK. Just got off the phone with Project Clean Water rep. My photos (yes, I took several) don't do the swirling gyres of trash in Atascadero Creek justice. If you think I'm fabricating the amount of trash in the creek there, you need to get up off your tuchus, walk along the creek between Turnpike and Walnut and have a look-see for yourself. (Please do so before Project Clean Water cleans it all up.) I have a green plastic straw in my trash right now that I picked up off a beach yesterday. Two straws, if you count the one I found in the parking lot. You should see the bag of empty paint spray cans, termite spray can, etc that I hauled home a few days ago. It was sitting right next to the creek. Off to the UCSB hazmat center it goes this weekend. If you're not seeing trash on the beaches or in the foothills, lucky you. Maybe someone like me got there ahead of you and already picked it all up.

Luvaduck Feb 26, 2020 06:55 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Thank you. I don't have anything like the volume you discribe, but I live near a grade school that hosts adult soccer games. I pick up everything from snack litter to dead batteries and empty motor oil cans.

ZeroHawk Feb 26, 2020 09:40 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

mini, i WILL do this. i have no problem admitting when I'm wrong and I'd go look just to see (and help!). My statement earlier was an honest one. I'm out and about all of the time and active on our trails.
One thing to note....regards to plastic bags. I see A LOT of dog crap bags on our trails, left like little presents. When I walk my Malinois up the trails, i pick up her stuff and collect the bags of others. That really steams me actually....too many over entitled dog owners here. pick up your pet's waste bags! i still doubt the straws are invading our creeks and beaches, but i am sure there are a few here and there.

ZeroHawk Feb 26, 2020 09:42 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

so bird and fish poop differ than dog poop? seems to me...poop is poop. not sure how it can harm our ocean considering a whale turd is a lot larger than my dogs pooh....

LCP112233 Feb 26, 2020 10:46 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Minibeast. I spoke to an ecological non profit on Sunday to see if we could get a group together to clean up the creek that goes by my business. I was told they are not allowed to perform these types of clean ups due to the dangerous hazards such as needles. Apparently the City has the responsibility to get properly protected personnel and/or outsource hazardous clean up crews. It's really sad, the creek that runs by our business is atrocious as well.

d8vanilla Feb 25, 2020 11:29 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Can't say I've ever heard dog "poop", dog "feces", or dog "droppings", called dog "litter"..... Howz about the City install more dog-poop bag dispensers around the City. I've seen some that are "sponsored" by Vets etc, and they cover the cost of the bags.

PitMix Feb 25, 2020 12:25 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

The other day a guy pulled up at 1,000 steps in his extra-large new pickup, let his two dogs out with his family, and proceeded to reel off about 50 bags from the dispenser there. I guess that's why he has money to buy these other nice things? I'm okay with spending $1.50 to buy a bunch of bags and I don't need the city to provide my bags for me or spend any staff time trying to get a vet to subsidize them and then refilling the dispensers. How about we go back to "Being Prepared" and self-sufficient?

ZeroHawk Feb 25, 2020 01:14 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Hey Pitmix, i see others do that too, and one day i kept an eye on them at Hendrys....ya know what they did with those bags? went around picking up cigarette butts, trash, bottle caps, etc. That was a nice surprise considering that i assumed they were just stealing them.

Luvaduck Feb 26, 2020 06:53 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Agree he's a jerk, but the odds are against that kind of behavior. Providing poop bags for normal pet owners who forget, whose dogs produce more than expected occasionally or just won't pay for them beats stepping in poop.

mp805 Feb 25, 2020 12:13 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Hey SACJON Just open up the poop app in san francisco called "SNAPCRAP" and you will be surprised. As funny as it sounds, not making it up..LCP112233 is right

420722 Feb 25, 2020 12:27 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I pick up my own dogs crap and sometimes leftovers from the bad owners. You’re welcome. However, if I catch you in the act I will make you remember me.

Minibeast Feb 25, 2020 04:22 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Please be gentle with them. Do what I do. Carry your "idiot" bags and offer the person(s) a poop bag or two. I once shouted down a couple from over 30 yards away. They had no intention of picking up after their large dog. They didn't have any bags. (Ahem.) We ended up walking a long way together and had a wonderful, interesting talk. More with sugar than vinegar.

CoastWatch Feb 25, 2020 01:23 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I'd like to see testing of the Creek waters outfalls for Arroyo, Sycamore and Mission Creeks for HUMAN feces.... Santa Barbara Paradise, just don't go near the creek outfalls and the beaches.

sacjon Feb 25, 2020 01:29 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

COASTWATCH - Here you go: https://countyofsb.org/uploadedFiles/phd/PROGRAMS/EHS/Ocean%20Water%20Weekly%20Results.pdf -------- pretty easy to find. Odd that you are a "Coast watcher" yet you didn't know about this. Enjoy!

a-1582666793 Feb 25, 2020 01:39 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

SACJON - helpful, but coliform bacteria is found in all types of animal feces. Determining the animal of origin (human or canine) requires further testing.

mattyboy Feb 25, 2020 01:36 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Santa Barbara dog owners are. the. worst. Here's an idea - if you can't afford a yard to let your dog crap in, don't own a dog. Don't take your dog to public parks and park strips along the street and let it crap where people walk and children play. Seriously wtf? Even if you pick it up, which so many people don't, you leave a nasty s#!7 smear most of the time.

sacjon Feb 25, 2020 01:43 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Mattyboy - I hate to poo on your whole "screw the poor" party, but people without yards aren't the only ones taking their dogs on walks and to the beach. Nice try though!

PitMix Feb 25, 2020 02:49 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I sorry it offends your sensibilities, but I've never heard of anyone in SB getting sick from this, even from stuff left behind. So it is not something I worry too much about. But I would encourage dog owners, dogs, and homeless to be responsible about their waste. And if it really bothers you, I fully support your efforts to do some constructive to address the problem.

Minibeast Feb 25, 2020 04:16 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

MATTYBOY. Proclaiming yourself a posterboy for the dog averse? There's a pet blog which says it better than I and here is one part I think may relate to you. (At least I *hope* yours may not be a character defect.): " . . . what makes for animal unfriendliness is not necessarily a defect of character. Rather, it’s the unfortunate combination of culture, upbringing, and experience that steers people in a pet averse direction."

mattyboy Feb 25, 2020 04:28 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

SACJON - of course, that's why I said Santa Barbara dog owners, not poor Santa Barbara dog owners. I also cannot afford a place with a dog friendly yard, so guess what? I don't have a dog. I don't hate dogs. I hate dog people who let their dogs crap in public spaces. They are rude and inconsiderate people.

letmego Feb 26, 2020 10:30 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

my dog prefers to poo on walks, not in my backyard. I can afford a backyard. The worse dog owners are the ones who don't pick up or let their dogs off leash so they can attack people. And then ignore you when you tell them to control their dog!

mattyboy Feb 26, 2020 04:49 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

LETMEGO - that's like saying you like smoking outside your neighbor's house because you don't like the rank stench wafting into your house. It's inconsiderate BS. What your dog "likes" should not impose nastiness on other people.

a-1582775902 Feb 26, 2020 07:58 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

If someone bags their dog's waste immediately, the smell will affect no one else. I too tell my neighborhood's dog walkers they can use my trash can if they don't want to carry the bag. It's used only once or twice a month. Please PLEASE just step up and DO THE RIGHT THING! I don't own a dog or outside cat and my front yard often reeks of poop. Some good rainfall may cure that, but that's not going to happen this year, we're pretty sure, and I spend my water on my fruit trees. Just be a good dog owner and citizen! Who the eff argues about who supplies the bags! I too have left a box of bags on my street.

Yeti Feb 25, 2020 02:00 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Face it, some people are just absolute SLOBS! Dog crap, cigarette buts, candy wrappers, chewing gum pressed into sidewalks near bus benches..etc. ...etc They feel entitled and will continue to do it. Best bet is to verbally abuse them in person when you see a slob in action. Maybe a little rotten fruit in their face may help with the attitude adjustment.

Minibeast Feb 25, 2020 03:53 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

YETI: Not too long ago, I watched a woman unload her groceries into her car and then roll her empty shopping cart into a parking space nearby. The cart "retrieval" area was perhaps 20 steps distant, each way, from her vehicle. As she turned to get into her car, I walked past her, carrying my groceries to my vehicle. We made eye contact. This is what I said: "Huh. I'm glad I saw you do that. I was always curious to know what kind of people think it's okay to leave their shopping carts blocking a parking space." She had the decency to look somewhat abashed. Do you think she was cured of her inconsiderate behavior? She didn't look at all physically disabled, but I guess you never know. In all likelihood that extra 40 steps was just too inconvenient.

Luvaduck Feb 26, 2020 06:45 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

If only! Unless you're a buff, scary-looking young man, it's more likely to get you verbally abused or punched. People who do such things don't think there's anything wrong with it and are often angry at the world and acting out.

Luvaduck Feb 26, 2020 06:47 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I've sometimes made eye-contact and "offered" to return the cart for them and done so w/o other conversation. I'm hoping that makes the point considering I'm not young.

Pages