By Tanny Taylor, RN

Traffic was horrendous coming home from Thousand Oaks where I saw a patient today. It was so slow going by Earl Warren that I could actually see several horses in distress as I drove by (not to mention all those in hot trailers on the backed up freeway after today's parade). I went right into the fairgrounds to investigate and found a particularly troublesome scene where a black horse was tied up to a trailer with no shade (with temp. above 80F) and no water.  It was whinnying so loudly that you could hear it from far away. It was pawing the ground and heaving itself against the trailer in distress.  It was so white with lather that you could have mistaken it for a gray horse rather than black, but there was no owner in sight.  There was, however, just 2 trailers away, a representative of the mounted law enforcement unit, who was ignoring the entire thing.

I went immediately to the ticket office and demanded action. A rep. there did walk over and see the dangerous situation and promised to contact medical and/or the owner (a very slow process). Someone in a 4 wheeler type vehicle came by, and would have driven right by had I not essentially jumped out in front of him seeking help for the poor creature. His only response...."I think I know who the owner is" as he drove off. He came back with someone who clearly was not the owner, and they just drove on by. I had asked the first rep. to at least give the horse some water, but she did not, citing safety concerns. Finally, I found a random, young cowboy and pleaded with him to help. He kindly and calmly walked over and untied the horse and led it to a stall for shade and water. Just then a woman who I assume was the owner came walking up with the original rep. from the ticketing office.  I asked the random cowboy to please attend to the other horses (at least 6) who I saw with similar plights, and he seemed to indicate he would.

It is sad enough that these magnificent creatures are forced to participate in rodeo events that cause even more distress to other livestock for our entertainment, but to not have the brains or compassion to care for them properly is inexcusable. I did not have confidence that anything would be done in a timely manner, so I called Hector again seeking advice. He advised that I call SB City Animal Control, which I did. I certainly hope that the rest of those suffering horses were rescued as the first one was by the kind cowboy.

I was wondering if someone from the Indy staff might want to write an article about this as well as the cormorants in the future as I know I have probably exceeded my letter quota for the month!

Thanks for listening and caring.

biguglystick Aug 06, 2017 10:59 AM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

Rodeos are AWFUL. Just cruel cruel cruel. WHEN will people EVOLVE? Roping, whipping, hitting, kicking and banding the genitals of animals so they will buck is cruel and heinous. I cannot understand why people still attend these events. Clearly the animals suffer. It is obvious to anyone with eyes and a heart. Shameful. Thank you to the letter writer for stopping. And to the person saying she fabricated this story, you sound like a rodeo clown.

tanster Aug 08, 2017 05:16 PM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

FYI, I am an independent contractor and I choose when and where I see my patients. In all 3 cases they were within the area of the fairgrounds (twice on the way to see them, and once on the way home). And yes, when I saw that the people in charge of the event had obviously not heeded my concern after the first day, I again stopped to ask someone there to help one particular horse on Sat. This original intent of this post was not to discount the rodeo, rather it was to bring attention to the neglectful way the horses participating were being treated before or after. It is sad that you want to discredit me so badly. Makes me wonder how YOU treat animals. BTW, the quote about doing better was from Oprah I believe (I couldn't think of the source at the time I wrote it). Also, one thing I neglected to mention about the horses involved both Friday and Sat. were that they seemed to be owned by women. The extremely distressed one on Friday was fully saddled in very fancy (and I imagine quite hot and heavy regalia). I did not see any specific horse to as you say "rescue" on Sunday as things were winding down by the time I drove by. I did, however, ask KEYT to investigate as I again saw many saddled horses tied to hot trailers in the sun. I would have called them the first day, but I could not seem to find a proper phone number for them. I was happy to see that most of the horses on Sunday were being attended to, so I was not referring to them. Why don't you go pick on somebody else. You are obviously a bully.

a-1511034748 Aug 08, 2017 08:52 AM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

Hold on Tanster, are you saying that, after you "saved" all the horses on Friday, you drove by again Saturday AND Sunday and "saved" even more horses "on your way to see patients??" So, you say you stopped again BOTH days (making this 3 days) to save horses before tending to your own patients? Look, caring for animals and helping them when needed is wonderful and I applaud that, however, your story does sound as SBCRUISER says..."fabricated." But, if true, I'm concerned for your real patients if you are constantly stopping at the Fairgrounds to "save" horses, which as Flicka (the horse expert around here) says didn't need saving. A good deed is great, but making up a story to smear a third party (the Rodeo) isn't so great.

a-1511034748 Aug 08, 2017 08:11 AM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

Yeah, but these days we have heat waves in May and June, too. They need to set things up better. Providing more shade and water shouldn't be that difficult.

a-1511034748 Aug 08, 2017 08:12 AM

tanster Aug 07, 2017 07:57 PM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

Thank you big ugly. Please see my response to SB cruiser. Next time I will have my cell phone out to document events. I fear for how that horse (and the others I saw being neglected in public) are treated at home. I also drove by on Calle Real both Sat. and Sun., on my way to see patients, and sadly, I guess my message did not get through. Once again I asked a random cowboy to come to a horse's aid. Perhaps it is time to think about moving Fiesta to May or June when the weather is better for the unfortunate creatures that are forced to perform for us. It would also be better for the children and elderly who must endure the heat during parades, etc. Just sayin....

SBCruiser Aug 06, 2017 08:02 AM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

The Earl Warren parking lot is elevated from the height of the freeway, making it extremely difficult to see from your vantage point while crawling in traffic, not to mention the the amount of trailers parked along the perimeter fence would completely block your view of any activity in the lot. Because of this, I find your story very hard to believe, and suspect it was written purely for the sake of making a negative statement about the rodeo. Regardless of your views on the event, it is unfair to those participating and caring for the animals (and "caring" is all that I viewed from the animals owners in the stables, parking lot, and arena on several visits to the event over the last few days with my family) to fabricate such a story as though you were driving by and saved the day.

tanster Aug 07, 2017 07:51 PM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

It absolutely happened just as I said it did, and it was the trailers at the perimeter with the hot sun reflecting off of them onto the poor tethered horses that drew my attention to the situation. I was raised on a black angus ranch in Nebraska, and I have seen plenty of rodeos in my day, but "when you know better, you do better". I could not stand by and watch this horse suffer. I only wish I had taken a video!

a-1511034748 Aug 06, 2017 07:17 AM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

When will mistreatment of all living things come to an end? Saying a horse is property is like saying a slave is property. What is wrong with you?

a-1511034748 Aug 06, 2017 01:32 AM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

Rodeos are dumb, mean, stupid, contemptible and lame. How sad that some people think it's okay for animals to suffer for the "sake of entertainment."

420722 Aug 05, 2017 04:19 PM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

Horses are athletes? Lmfao. Is that your distorted justification for using them for your visual pleasure? Puh-leez.. And when humans overheat we can fix it ourselves, animals can't.

Bird Aug 05, 2017 03:24 PM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

Thank you very much for stopping and making all those efforts to get attention. It was especially hot the last couple of days and it is cruel to leave an animal tethered where there's no shade. I am dismayed that anyone would find a horse "whinnying...and heaving itself" against a trailer to be usual behavior. Lathering, however, is the horse's way of sweating and is not in itself problematic. We humans tend to walk on past someone (or something), with a shrug of the shoulders that, after all, it doesn't concern us. Thank you for reaching out and helping; I imagine you are a wonderful nurse!

Flicka Aug 05, 2017 01:52 PM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

A horse should never be overheated? I guess people should never be overheated either? Horses, like people, are athletes and it happens. A horse whining doesn't necessarily mean distress at all. A girl was riding a little horse around, bareback, at Pershing Park yesterday and it was whining, not in any distress, just talking to other horses.

Babycakes Aug 05, 2017 08:36 AM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

God bless you for making sure that those horses did not die in the hot sun. I spoke with a couple of "random cowboys" a few years back at Earl Warren, and they assured me that their horses were very well taken care of (even though they had all that "froth" going on). Sometimes things are not as they seem. For example, about 15 years ago I saw my father tightly tied down to his hospital bed by his wrists and he was in obvious distress....I mean he was REALLY upset. I angrily told the nurse to untie him, but she refused! I immediately untied him after she left the room, and that's when I found out WHY they had to tie him down. He grabbed me by the hair and wouldn't let go until that same nurse "saved" me from my plight. Thank goodness for nurses. Lesson learned.

dogslife Aug 05, 2017 06:51 AM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

I drove by and saw the scene as well. Bless you for stopping. There is nothing more disturbing than an insensitive, cruel and heartless human being.

vrajaprana Aug 04, 2017 08:50 PM
Distressed Horses at Earl Warren Showgrounds

Totally disgusting. They should have someone on duty walking around making sure they're all OK. And to track down the responsible person if they're not. Thank God you happened upon them. That's unconscionable.