Digital Antenna Experience?

By an edhat reader

Does anyone have experience using a digital antenna? I'm curious how many channels you can get while in downtown Santa Barbara. Mostly I'm looking to catch sports games on the main channels: ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox.

pxn Sep 17, 2018 11:43 AM
Digital Antenna Experience?

First, the signals are digital now, but the antennas have not changed at all. An old antenna is fine if you have one. I get PBS (KCOE with 5 channels, but one is a shopping channel) from LA, ABC (and two subsidiary channels), NBC (plus 2), CBS, FOX (the tv channel, not the fox news BS), GRIT (old time cowboy movies). KCET has been off line for quite a while but they are promising to come back. In addition there is a channel that offers full time opportunities to send money to jesus (as if he cared), plus some hispanic and chinese broadcasts.

PitMix Sep 17, 2018 12:28 PM
Digital Antenna Experience?

I live on the westside and get the same channels as PXN but my indoor antenna is sensitive to the signal direction and I have to adjust it depending on which station I want. The roof antenna is better but recently I can't get KSBY on it, and the LA station is iffy depending on weather.

ginger1 Sep 17, 2018 02:14 PM
Digital Antenna Experience?

This topic has been discussed over and over again. If the "search" feature can be made to work again, that would be a good place to start.

tagdes Sep 17, 2018 02:53 PM
Digital Antenna Experience?

For those of us not as tech savvy you, could explain how one finds it now or are you just being snaky?

PitMix Sep 18, 2018 08:29 AM
Digital Antenna Experience?

I find it ironic that people spend the time to complain about a repetitive topic, so they have taken the time to read it and click and comment. Pretty easy to just ignore the topic altogether!

tagdes Sep 18, 2018 12:08 PM
Digital Antenna Experience?

Thanks 278 or 03:56 PM, I just cut and pasted your quotes and it worked fine.

pxn Sep 18, 2018 06:57 AM
Digital Antenna Experience?

I too find KSBY reception to be an issue: one tv gets it regularly, while the other is irregular. You can report your situation to "Bill Ingram/KSBY" bingram@ksby.com
I have two antennas on the roof of second story. One is a directional "yogi" type antenna pointed WNW from San Roque and the other omni-directional points NE towards the antenna farm on Gibraltar Road.
I don't find KOCE to be iffy. Both antennas feed into one cable (backwards through a splitter). In the house a splitter is used to route signal to two tvs. I don't have an antenna amplifier.
Search for "antenna web" for information.

BeachGuy Sep 18, 2018 07:28 AM
Digital Antenna Experience?

The “old” antennas were primarily VHF antennas for the old channels 2-13. The digital channels are all in the UHF band (the old 14-83) even though they have lower numbers now. The uhf antennas are more compact and usually more directional. KEYT can be received with almost anything as it has a powerful transmitter on tv peak, but the other channels use low power repeaters that take more work to receive.