Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday

Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday title=
Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday

By Edhat Staff

We're back to that time of year again. The holidays are looming, the air is getting a little cooler, pumpkin spice is flavored with every meal and beverage, and now we're ready to wake up to sunlight and drive home in the dark.

At 2:00 a.m. Sunday, the clocks "fell back" one hour to standard time, meaning we all get an extra hour of sleep. Unless you're a farmer who works on the sun-up and sun-down schedule, then it's all the same for you.

In Santa Barbara, the sun will rise at 6:24 a.m. and set at 5:01 p.m. on Monday for about 10.5 hours of sunlight. Here are some fast facts about this time of year:

1. IT'S DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME, NOT DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME

A common linguistic misstep that happens to all of us, but drop that "s" from Saving and you've got it right.

2. WHAT'S THE POINT OF "SAVING" DAYLIGHT HOURS?

It started during World War I in the U.S. as an attempt to conserve energy. The theory was that shifting the number of daylight hours into the evening, the fewer time lights would need to be on, thus "saving" electricity.

3. DOES IT REALLY WORK TO SAVE ELECTRICITY?

Not really. Most analysts and studies are mixed, but they all tend to agree that a definite yes or no is unfounded. It may reduce light/electricity usage, but gas and heating use could increase, which pretty much cancels one another out.

4. IS DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME DANGEROUS?

Some would say yes. Our internal/biological clocks are not fans of getting messed with, so people with pretty solid sleep schedules are disrupted and have a hard time adjusting. This could lead to drowsiness and potential mental dullness. Some studies suggest that traffic accidents increase after we spring forward, when losing one hour of sleep.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME? SHOULD WE KEEP IT OR DITCH IT? SHARE YOUR OPINION IN THE COMMENT SECTION.

REX OF SB Oct 31, 2020 03:03 PM
Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday

I'm probably the only person in the world who actually doesn't mind the biannual time change. I like the extra hour of daylight in the summer, and I like waking up when it's more or less sunny the rest of the time. And of course the time change gives everyone something to communally bitch about for a few days twice a year. I say keep the time changes.

dukemunson Oct 31, 2020 03:51 PM
Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday

There is nothing in the world worse than the November time change!!!! And I say that and am only exaggerating slightly... why are we changing the clocks again???? Dark at 5... no!!!!!

That being said I do appreciate the argument of it gives people something to bitch about... that’s both true and pretty good! I’ve never actually though met anyone that actually likes it... YOU ARE THE FIRST REX!!!

a-1604200754 Oct 31, 2020 08:19 PM
Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday

Only exaggerating slightly when you say there are few things worse? Wow, I almost want to live in your world -- but not really.

dukemunson Oct 31, 2020 09:13 PM
Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday

It’s a play on words... obviously there are millions of things that are tangibly worse than the clock change. Taking 8 steps back and from a wide privileged Santa Barbarian ignoring actual problems perspective...the time change sucks. So... to rephrase... there isn’t that much on a day to day sb basis worse than this time change... it sucks!!!!

rubyfoo Nov 01, 2020 06:53 AM
Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday

I'm finding that the older I've become, the harder it is to adapt to the change. I'm now 79. Please, someone, dump this archaic piece of nonsense. Let's just stay on daylight saving time.

SBSand Nov 01, 2020 07:58 AM
Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday

I thought we voted against time change in CA? Let nature change things naturally, no need for us to change the clocks anymore. It makes NO sense.

paglinsb Nov 01, 2020 09:22 AM
Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday

Found this helpful: https://patch.com/california/across-ca/california-observes-daylight-savings-despite-vote-change-it