Coyotes Caught on Camera title=

By Stephanie

Thought Edhat readers might enjoy the latest my Backyard Visitor series here off North Patterson.

Flicka Jul 06, 2018 10:24 AM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

PII, Yes, the sweet tempered donkey my daughter has is there to protect the goats and their babies from coyotes, and has killed them. The goats used here for clearing weeds/brush for fire protection have dogs, Great Pyrenes, to protect them from coyotes. Goats can't fight back.

Bug Girl Jul 06, 2018 10:47 AM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Flicka, have you ever heard of using llamas for herd protection? They apparently evolved a dislike of all canids and have been known to kill dogs as well as coyotes, and are apparently really good guards as well!

Luvaduck Jul 06, 2018 09:37 AM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Sense of proportion: Keep pets inside at night, and create a positive mindset to a critter doing what he has to to eat, no different than us. The noise he makes after a kill has less volume than a stadium-full of soccer fans. When he howls for his friends, it's not nearly as noisy as kids on the prowl or people who rev or drive vehicles at full throttle during the wee hours.

Bug Girl Jul 06, 2018 10:24 AM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Thank you for this comment Luvaduck. I wholeheartedly agree. I love hearing them sing their triumphs and hymns to the full moon, hearing their pups chatter to eachother, and enjoy the unappreciated impact they have on local rabbit, groundsquirrel, gopher, vole, rat, and fieldmouse population. I would much rather there were more coyotes (who are native to this area and a right to exist) than unattended pets with irresponsible owners.

a-1576170518 Jul 06, 2018 09:11 AM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

To all of you expressing breathless joy that coyotes are doing well, still among us, estsc., please note that coyotes are not an endangered species. They are in fact an invasive species in many areas. They have extended into the east coast (Central Park in NYC ?). While they do eat rodents they may also eat domestic pets. They are hardly adorable however. And the noise they make when hunting and killing is unpleasant to most. Let them continue to do what they do but let's not help them.

pii Jul 06, 2018 07:52 AM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Flicka (for some reason the Reply button doesn't work). Are you saying the donkey killed some coyotes? I'm not getting near that donkey!

Z Jul 06, 2018 07:52 AM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Coyotes don't eat all that many pets. Mostly they eat the rodents that human settlements support, along with the accessible pet food and garbage. We'd need a lot more corpulent kitties and tasty terriers to support the coyote population.

a-1576170518 Jul 05, 2018 07:10 PM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Coyotes are so cool. I, too, am glad to know they are doing okay in our area.

a-1576170518 Jul 05, 2018 04:25 PM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Deerpoet, thank you! More, please. Is there a way to have your camera live-streaming? Also, I wish somebody in our area would have a live webcam of their wild bird fountain and/or bird feeder.

Deerpoet Jul 05, 2018 04:08 PM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Hi Ladylagomorph...my previous coyote video was the same location, however, only one coyote ran by. Stay tuned for additional fun and amazing Backyard Visitor videos in the future.

Flicka Jul 05, 2018 01:57 PM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Thanks, I like coyotes, love hearing them. I just went to my daughter's ranch in Paso Robles. There is a herd of 15 goats with a donkey for protection from coyotes, it has killed some in past years.

Potif Jul 05, 2018 09:00 PM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Doesn't really matter even if it is... to me anyway. It's great and if it is a repeat, I missed it the first time around!

a-1576170518 Jul 05, 2018 11:10 AM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Love these surveillance camera videos, makes it seem like the coyotes are trying to break into your home haha. Glad to see them thriving!

Bug Girl Jul 05, 2018 11:06 AM
Coyotes Caught on Camera

Thank you for sharing! I am happy to see evidence of healthy, happy coyotes still living in our midst.