Cox Internet Speed Comparison

By an edhat reader

Cox rates just went up again.
Has anyone ever compared the actual performance differences of their different “High Speed” Internet connections?

Starter ... $36.99
Essential ... $55.99
Preferred ... $70.99
Preferred 100 ... $75.99.

EastBeach Apr 27, 2018 09:44 AM
Cox Internet Speed Comparison

Wow, it isn't easy to find standard internet pricing at Cox's website. It appears to me they purposely show you upgrade and bundle pricing (which revert to higher pricing after some time) to encourage you to buy additional services or more expensive versions of what you already have. The city should force Cox to be more transparent with pricing info. I'll have to try Google to find the price list that was published by the OP.

ginger1 Apr 26, 2018 07:26 PM
Cox Internet Speed Comparison

When I called to "complain" about the latest fee increase, they increased my speed from 50 to 100 lowered the monthly to $65. My speed is most often 125-135mb/s (bits) and the effective download speed of 3.0-5MB/s. (bytes) depending upon the server. *Buy the speed you really need.* If all you do is web and email, cheap-o DSL 3.0 is fine. Stream some Facebook or YouTube, 15.0 will do the trick. Want HD Netflix/Hulu or download large video files, you'll need the 50mb/s service. Want to do that on two or more devices, double that to 100. Don't waste your money on high speed for email. Or if you have a slow computer.

pstarSR Apr 26, 2018 04:57 PM
Cox Internet Speed Comparison

im preferred @ $70.99, I get ~60mbps average download, and ~30mbps upload. remember the fine print though, it says "UP TO XXmbps" which means it can vary greatly almost at all times. I have had it drop to 6mbps for hours, only to jump back up after 6pm.

mattyboy Apr 26, 2018 04:27 PM
Cox Internet Speed Comparison

Had the 100, would get 120-130. Now have the next step down and still get 100+. Never been dissatisfied with the performance, but hate the constant price increases and usually call for a reduction. Edhat's server, on the other hand, could use some help...

MR2 Apr 26, 2018 03:20 PM
Cox Internet Speed Comparison

I've got Preferred 100 but it will do a sustained 150Mbps at any time. I've had Cox in SB/Goleta for 10 years and the real speeds have always been higher than what they advertise.

CRAM Apr 26, 2018 03:06 PM
Cox Internet Speed Comparison

Yes. i have 10MB and it tests around 11MB. I had 3MB from Frontier and it never tested close to 3MB. Usually around 2.05MB.

monkeyboy Apr 26, 2018 02:57 PM
Cox Internet Speed Comparison

I also pay for the 100Mbps package and rarely get below 140Mbps. Using Speedtest.net, I often get 200+, but when using fast.com (Netflix's speed test to their actual servers) I get about 150Mbps. When we had issues, they went out of their way to help us fix them, even rewiring our house for free (I helped and it was a straight pull under the floor). They did 3 visits until finally having to climb the pole and replace an older connection there that was loose. For all the Cox bashing, they are the best of the bunch for cable...be thankful we don't have Comcast or Time Warner.