By Cathy Richmond

I recently received a notice from Cox Communications (Cox Cable) about upcoming changes to their internet service. The notice informed me of my specific data plan and warned that if exceeded my monthly plan, I will be charged a fee per 50 gigabytes used.

The letter insisted that this will only affect 2% of their users and I likely will not be affected. They even provided a chart showing my usage well below the limit as this "only charges the heaviest Internet users."

What Cox does not understand, or even address, is that as a customer I signed a contract for a specific service and a certain fee. They're now changing the service and the potential fee, which was not what I signed up for. By saying it won't likely affect me is beside the point. If I wanted to stream 30 movies in one day, I should be allowed to based on the contract I signed for the service that was agreed to be provided for me.

It's bad enough that Cox raises their fees every 4-6 months and ropes us into packages that we don't need, but this is too much! This is yet again another monopoly using its power and authority over a community who doesn't have another internet option. Edhat readers, let me know if there are other internet options as I'd love to change!

Shame on you Cox.

a-1511494125 Oct 24, 2017 09:36 AM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

Just another item about the power of corporations: If you wanted to sue them about this issue I am certain you will find that you have agreed to arbitration. Don't you remember that? Anyway, with arbitrators selected by Cox your chance of success is non-existent. And the Congress is trying to extent arbitration agreements to all of us and bad mouths class action and lawyer representation (which is the only avenue of equity for the small player such as a customer).

a-1511494125 Oct 23, 2017 02:19 PM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

While I don't dispute or even disagree with your sentiment towards the cable/internet monopoly I would suggest you study the contract in all its fine print before using the "breach of contract" argument against Cox. They gave you fair warning that they need to limit streaming consumption and when I last checked I would have to triple my data consumption before even coming close to that limit. But then I don't have 4 computers all scattered over the house streaming movies all day long in separate bedrooms.

1984 Oct 23, 2017 01:49 PM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

I am on 24-7 even stream radio while I sleep . I use about 2\3 of my Tb per month. also 2 other independent streamers on account.

Odds Bodkin Oct 23, 2017 11:43 AM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

Check the COX fine print on the various internet data plans. Pretty much spells out when additional charges can be levied.

jamesm113 Oct 23, 2017 11:30 AM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

It's a money grab, plain and simple. There is absolutely no technical reason or need for a data cap. We've been conditioned into thinking otherwise by cell phone providers, who actually have to deal with limited bandwidth and spectrum. Unfortunately the only alternative to Cox internet is DSL, which is quite slow. Anyone else think it's a coincidence that in markets with 2 or more true broadband providers, they aren't trying to add such nonsense as data caps? I'd highly encourage anyone interested in the data cap topic to go on you tube and watch "why data caps suck: the animated examination"

ZeroHawk Oct 23, 2017 11:12 AM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

the person is correct. they signed a document which is a contractual agreement. Cox has a way with screwing us over and over again and finds loopholes to do that. Majority of us do not even use their cable, which is why they are now stomping and upset. They have created tiers for their internet usage which is the first to step in raising prices and giving us less. I stream netflix, hulu, and do some online gaming. i pay a ridiculous amount of money for internet access and if my kids want to stream all f'n day long, my $100 or so bill should cover that. if not, then i get a lawyer involved. contracts are contracts and cox is not above the law.

ZeroHawk Oct 23, 2017 11:14 AM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

a quick note to those who would comment, good luck, they are a big company. doesn't matter. cox and time warner have been sued time and time again and lose each time in court....their endless funds get wasted on court fees.

a-1511494125 Oct 23, 2017 11:00 AM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

Looks like the author's point is they signed a contract for a service that is now being altered and Cox makes no apologies for that.

Odds Bodkin Oct 23, 2017 10:21 AM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

As noted, 1TB is substantial. Go to COX web site to see what can be done with that amount. They are right - very few users will be affected. Users should pay for excess usage - If I only check e-mail a few times a day and surf the 'net a bit and watch a few YouTube clips, I don't want to subsidize some power user who is hogging bandwidth.

CS805 Oct 23, 2017 08:57 AM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

We just had this discussion like a week ago. Long story short, 1TB is a huge amount of data. Cable companies are oligopolies, not monopolies.

porkrind Oct 23, 2017 07:38 PM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

And that’s why they’re doing this. The cord cutter scare the hell out of them, because it’s a whole lot more profitable to charge for cable TV service than it is for data. They’re trying to make cord cutting as painful as possible.

porkrind Oct 23, 2017 07:39 PM

a-1511494126 Oct 23, 2017 12:39 PM
Cox Cable Now Limiting Internet Usage

For cable cord-cutters who get their fix from Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, 1TB is not so huge. It's big, but not at all impossible to surpass.