COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County title=

Source: Santa Barbara County Public Health Department

Santa Barbara County is reporting the highest daily case count of COVID-19, with 360 new positive cases today, December 14, 2020.  This surge in cases falls just over two weeks after the Thanksgiving Holiday, as anticipated by local health experts, and is directly related to gatherings of family and friends.

“Today’s positive case count surpasses any daily count we have seen to date, and underscores the predictions we have anticipated if people continue to gather with those outside of their immediate households,” states Van Do-Reynoso, Director of the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department. “We are at a critical state of urgency with ICU bed availability declining at a rapid rate.”

With the dramatic spike in positive cases, the Public Health Department is working as quickly as possible to contact trace all who have newly tested positive, but resources are being stretched beyond anything previously seen, even with surge capacity plans in place. It is critical that the public assist. If people have tested positive for the virus, they must take immediate action to stay home and isolate themselves from others while following the isolation guidelines and notifying others who have been in close contact to them.

“We have reached case counts that exceed all previous records,” says Do-Reynoso. “It is imperative that each individual take action now and stay home. We are reaching a point where we can see on the horizon our health care system being overrun. We must take immediate action as our decisions are now seeing the price to be paid, and it is costing the lives and wellbeing of our community members.”

For more information about the local impacts of COVID-19, please website www.publichealthsbc.org or call 2-1-1.

justabrain Dec 14, 2020 05:53 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

Is there a graph showing the trend of the Santa Barbara cases? The county health site doesn't seem to have one. There isn't even a table showing daily cases on one page. After months in this, is this best they can do?? Most other cities/areas are doing a far better job in data presentation.

SBsurferlife Dec 14, 2020 05:56 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

@Just - there are tons of graphs and data updates here: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/030e625c69a04378b2756de161f82ef6 and also here: https://publichealthsbc.org/santa-barbara-county-covid-19-data-reports/

justabrain Dec 14, 2020 06:14 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

Thanks! I wish they show the trending graph in a more prominent way, front and center. It shows where we are heading and probably has more impact. Daily cases in the e-mail don't have the same impact. Santa Barbara area is still low in cases compared to many other areas, but the trend shows the same drastic upward trajectory.

ChemicalSuperFreak Dec 14, 2020 06:16 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

I have a plot of just SB City cases, if that's what you're asking. The numbers look quite bad. While I can't share the graphics, here are just the numbers starting Nov. 1 and ending today---the trend should be quite clear.
New daily cases: 1 4 4 2 10 10 7 3 6 8 2 8 9 10 9 5 17 7 21 10 16 11 26 10 20 14 20 17 28 9 9 4 12 13 17 35 30 33 21 19 28 8 41 38 68
7-day average of cases: 2.0 2.4 2.6 3.9 5.1 5.4 5.7 6.0 6.6 6.6 6.3 6.1 6.6 7.4 7.3 8.6 9.3 11.1 11.3 12.1 12.4 15.4 14.4 16.3 15.3 16.7 16.9 19.3 16.9 16.7 14.4 14.1 13.1 13.1 14.1 17.1 20.6 23.0 24.0 26.1 24.9 25.7 26.9 31.9

TJTom Dec 15, 2020 09:00 AM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

The latest report on the SB County Health site covers only up to 13 Oct 2020. The Dashboard has better current info. The graphs are much better than the long narratives commonly published in the news reports.

RHS Dec 14, 2020 06:03 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

Well, apparently, these stats do not include Solvang based on the behavior of their burghers and government leaders. Head in the sand just like the ostriches down the road.

ChemicalSuperFreak Dec 14, 2020 06:42 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

They're young and up for the challenge it seems. Doesn't seem to be having a terrible impact on our local health care system, as the increase in hospitalizations, ICU admittance and ventilator use is not proportional to the post-Thanksgiving spike in cases.

a-1608071668 Dec 15, 2020 02:34 PM

@12:49 PM and 9:36 AM

I don't think you understand the severity of the pandemic.
Do you think 300,000 deaths in the USA alone are faked?
International death totals are faked?
Other countries are in on the conspiracy?
Too little thinking behind such a comment.
So consistent.

Shasta Guy Dec 14, 2020 06:37 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

I usually go here for state wide data, then you can select whatever county you want:
You can select cases by county or hospitalization data. Some counties are going up wildly, ours not so much yet. Ventura county is especially bad. However, lots of cases, but not the equivalent fatalities compared to earlier in the year.

GeneralTree Dec 14, 2020 06:54 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

We are at peak cases since March of last year. We have half the population of Ventura and about half the case numbers they do. Trending at doubling every week now. How is that better than Ventura?

Shasta Guy Dec 14, 2020 07:15 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

GT, Per the state of California COVID Cases dashboard, Ventura’s summer peak on 8/1 was 298 cases, but on 12/12 cases peaked at 956 cases.

Santa Barbara peaked at 200 cases on 8/10, and on 12/12 we hit 209 cases. We’re just catching up to our summer peak, but Ventura is 3X theirs.

GeneralTree Dec 14, 2020 08:27 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

Shasta. Cottage health has had record Covid admissions in the past week. If that trend holds, ICU admissions lag behind that and we'd see a dramatic increase in ICU admissions. I just watched the cottage health update and it was very informative in relation to where we are and where we might be going. I really, really hope something changes in the next week for the better. Stay safe!

Shasta Guy Dec 14, 2020 08:32 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

That’s data compiled by the state of California. Take a look at the numbers yourself, you paid for it. If you don’t like it, take it up with Sacramento. There’s no twist unless Sacramento is cooking the books.

Shasta Guy Dec 14, 2020 08:52 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

GT, I do too. I had to self quarantine because I developed a symptom, and I’m awaiting the results of my COVID test. I have had an elevated temp since my symptom, but it’s never exceeded 99.7. I am hopeful that it’s just a mild cold, but I won’t know until I get test results. If I do have COVID, it’s quite mild so far.

ChemicalSuperFreak Dec 14, 2020 10:21 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

Here is the 7-day case rate and 7-day % positivity, each Monday for the past 4 weeks---these values are 7 days apart.
Case rate: 15.3 (11/23), 16.7 (11/30), 24.3 (12/7), 36.9 (12/14)
% positivity: 3.5 (11/23), 3.8 (11/30), 5.0 (12/7), 7.2 (12/14)
Please raise your hand if you think these numbers are doubling every 7 days.

Shasta Guy Dec 15, 2020 09:42 AM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

GT thanks. The self quarantine was mandated by corporate policy. I feel completely fine. It’s just a waiting game for test results. The self quarantine had undesirable consequences for my household, so there lives are on hold until I get my results. I have little to complain about, I’m just sorry for everyone who has situations way worse than I.

ChemicalSuperFreak Dec 15, 2020 10:22 AM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

Thomas John, correct, it's about 14 days. The doubling time I've calculated depends on the interval of time you consider, the metric you're interested in, and it fluctuates wildly because the data is very inconsistent, even when smoothed with a 7-day average.

ChemicalSuperFreak Dec 15, 2020 11:31 AM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

LCP: I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice that. 11 months and 1 day, as it turns out. :) The name seemed like an obvious choice, since I'm a biochemist and have some background in acetylcholinesterase, then enzyme that VX targets. I'm actually staring at a rare hardcover of James A.F. Compton's "Military Chemical and Biological Agents" that's sitting on my bookshelf. Anyway, "The Rock" was a great movie, though totally fiction when it comes to VX. Cheers!

Shasta Guy Dec 15, 2020 04:26 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

LCP, Thanks. I’ve been using that site for awhile. It’s pretty clear the state is having a case surge, and I like to review the individual counties. NorCal north of Sacramento had very low daily case rates this summer, but they are getting hit pretty hard right now relatively speaking. Who knows how long this surge will last. Everyone needs to what they can to keep themselves safe and steer clear of locations and clueless people that put you at risk.

42224242244424224 Dec 14, 2020 07:37 PM

It's December.
Gyms are closed. Bars are closed. Restaurants are closed.
Yet the liquor store 2 blocks away is worked by a gentleman that has never even owned a mask.
Someone interacting with and stocking products for THOUSANDS of customers every month doesn't wear a mask while the rich encourage you to look down on people out for a walk.
I quit my job at CVS because THEY don't even take it seriously.
The virus is real, but the reaction to it has nothing to do with keeping you safe. It's about keeping you compliant.
If you think any of these businesses are wearing masks when you're not around, or when they're unloading trucks or stocking products at night, you're mistaken.
Cops don't care. Governor doesn't care. Health companies don't care. Nobody cares if you die. They just care if you comply.
Keep rooting for your downfall while the rich get richer. I'm enjoying the show.

42224242244424224 Dec 14, 2020 09:02 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

Think what the billionaires want you to think.
Say what the billionaires want you to say.
Do what the billionaires want you to do.
Because that's what heroes do.

42224242244424224 Dec 14, 2020 09:35 PM
COVID-19 Surge Hits New Peak in Santa Barbara County

Mostly because I have eyes.
Lockdowns obviously hurt small business and help Amazon.
The government won't let you go to the gym with a mask, while not enforcing mask requirements on employees of businesses that remain open.
The governor goes out to group dinners while closing restaurants.
The place that you'll get vaccinated at (CVS) has managers show up sick and without masks. They aren't allowed to do anything if you shop without a mask. They stock shelves and unload trucks without masks. They take off their masks the moment the store closes. They wear masks under their noses.
These rules aren't for the rich. They're for you.
Keep trolling. I don't care if you ruin your children's future. Just like you, I look forward to it.

Pages