COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County title=
Update by County of Santa Barbara
March 22, 2020

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department (PHD) is confirming five (5) additional positive cases of COVID-19 in the county. This makes 18 total confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Santa Barbara County at this time.

Case #14—in their 50s and resides in North County
Case #15—in their 40s and resides in North County
Case #16—in their 20s and resides in South County
Case #17—in their 70s and resides in South County
Case #18—in their 20s and resides in South County

PHD is conducting a thorough investigation to determine how they contracted COVID-19 as well as identifying persons with whom they may have had close contact. Mandated social distancing measures are in place to slow the spread of the virus.

The Governor of California has also issued a Stay at Home Order, which is a critical step to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community. This is a socially transmitted illness, and we all have a role in stopping it from spreading. By working together to flatten the curve, we will help to prevent Santa Barbara County’s healthcare systems from being overwhelmed, and reduce the possibility of casualties from the virus.

Source: County of Santa Barbara
March 21, 2020

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department (PHD) is confirming four (4) more positive cases of COVID-19 in the county, this makes 13 total confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Santa Barbara County at this time.

• Case #10—in their 20s and resides in South County
  • Case #11—in their 60s and resides in North County
  • Case #12—in their 40s and resides in South County
  • Case #13—in their 40s and resides in South County

VPHD is conducting a thorough investigation to determine how they contracted COVID-19 as well as identifying persons with whom they may have had close contact.

Mandated social distancing measures are in place to slow the spread of the virus. All large nonessential professional, social, and community gatherings should be postponed or cancelled, and smaller gatherings should be modified to allow for at least six feet of space between participants.

“We are urging our community to stay home when they are sick and practice consistent social distancing practices, shared Van Do-Reynoso, Public Health Director for Santa Barbara County. “It is critical that we all take the necessary steps to slow the spread of this illness in our community.”

Community members are reminded to take measures to prevent the spread of respiratory illness:

• Wash your hands with soap and water
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick
  • Stay away from people if you become sick with respiratory symptoms like fever and cough
  • Keep surfaces clean by wiping them down with a household disinfectant

[ Español ]

Stay Connected:

a-1594197261 Mar 24, 2020 04:09 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

I'm concerned I may have it too. Right now I have a sore/scratchy throat but no real cough or fever, but I am achy/tired. I hope not. Haven't called my doctor b/c I doubt they would recommend testing.

sacjon Mar 24, 2020 04:11 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

4:09 - I WOULD have said try gargling with an antiseptic or vinegar, as I heard from a doctor friend of mine that it lives in the throat first. BUT...... I'd hate to upset anyone trying to pass non-hurtful remedies.

therealbebe Mar 23, 2020 07:57 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

My question is where to get tested. I've developed symptoms. I called my Dr's office and they said to call Public Health. Public Health does NOT answer their phone, only providing voicemail. I called the ER and they said testing is only available to those who are referred by their Dr. or Public Health. So you see the problem here... do I need to stumble in with pneumonia and a fever of 103 before anyone will test me?

jqb Mar 24, 2020 04:22 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

"It MAY, according to a doctor, slow the progression of the virus if you catch it while it's still in the throat and not already in the lungs. " -- No doctor who knows what s/he is talking about makes this claim. The claim came from a fabricated list that was posted on Facebook late February and has been repeatedly refuted ... Snopes posted a line-by-line response spelling out which items of the list were true, partially true, myths, dangerous, etc. Over and out ... setting a Cold Turkey timer on this site.

sacjon Mar 24, 2020 04:13 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

FWIW - I never said gargling with vinegar would "prevent" coronavirus. It MAY, according to a doctor, slow the progression of the virus if you catch it while it's still in the throat and not already in the lungs.

jqb Mar 24, 2020 04:18 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

SACJON, I was actually going to say that I didn't think it could hurt to gargle, but that the claim that it can be washed down to prevent spreading is a myth that was passed around but has been debunked, but I decided to avoid getting into something contentious with you, so I simply posted that link. That didn't work out, but not because of *my* attitude. I'm sorry that being fact- and evidence- based is seen as arrogant. I've stopped talking about Trump here, even though there's a lot to say about his role in all of this, and tried to stick to stuff that is informative and not contentious, but it has not been appreciated much, so I think I'll stop even the factual stuff here. Best of luck to you.

jqb Mar 24, 2020 03:59 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

A range of opinions, but no silver bullet ... read in full: https://www.uchealth.org/today/zinc-could-help-diminish-extent-of-covid-19/ https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-vitamin-c-myth.html

jqb Mar 24, 2020 03:46 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

"try gargling with warm water and vinegar. If it's still in your throat, it might keep it from migrating down into the lungs" -- https://factcheck.afp.com/gargling-warm-salt-water-or-vinegar-does-not-prevent-coronavirus-infection-health-experts-say

sacjon Mar 24, 2020 02:23 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

BOBBYK - have you considered that they might just be insanely busy trying to help battle this thing and are maybe screening their calls for only critical ones? I know a few local doctors in town and they're definitely NOT MIA.

Bobbyk Mar 24, 2020 02:20 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

Unfortunately I have found out that several local doctors (PCP & Specialists ) have gone MIA not seeing patients, answering phones or returning messages for the rest of the month and just directing me to call 911 if it's an emergency .

a-1594197261 Mar 24, 2020 02:04 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

Research has shown that Vitamin C and Zinc help - and there are natural anti virals. It may not cure anything but if it is all you have, it is worth a try.

a-1594197261 Mar 24, 2020 02:04 PM

Minibeast Mar 24, 2020 01:53 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

For efficacy against this Coronavirus, drinking lots of water, utilizing vinegar are things already debunked by research. It's worth a try, but if you're presenting with symptoms such as fever, cough, headache then all the gargling in the world may help a sort throat, but will not combat this virus.

sacjon Mar 24, 2020 01:38 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

THEREALBEBE - try gargling with warm water and vinegar. If it's still in your throat, it might keep it from migrating down into the lungs. That's what I've heard at least and it can't hurt!

Minibeast Mar 24, 2020 01:36 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

THEREALBEBE: My sympathies, truly. I am so sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Just curious: Have you lost your sense of smell/taste? Do your chest and back feel hot to the touch? Is your digestive system giving you problems now, too?

a-1594197261 Mar 24, 2020 01:34 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

REALBEBE I am so sorry please do not feel afraid - I saw that they are now starting carside testing but I think it's for Sansum patients not sure. Just keep calling your doctor and insisting. In the meantime, drink lots and lots of water and if a friend can, have them go get Oil of Oregano for you. I will pray for your swift recovery even though I do not know you. You will be OK! Also - do vapor inhales with boiling water and if you have them some essential oils and lemon water too - helps thin out mucous.

sacjon Mar 24, 2020 11:45 AM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

THEREALBEBE - seriously? That's awful! Have you called your primary physician? I hope you get what you need! This is so terrible that you can't even get a test when you're presenting symptoms!

therealbebe Mar 24, 2020 11:42 AM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

Thank you for the tips. I have asthma that has been extremely exacerbated in the last week (along with intermittent fever, headache, and coughing). Still can't get a test. I'd like to see what they will tell my young daughter when I suddenly drop. Thanks for absolutely NOTHING, government guidelines.

jqb Mar 23, 2020 10:30 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

Point your doctor to https://covid19.ca.gov/what-you-can-do/#testing : "If you have coronavirus symptoms and think you need testing, contact your healthcare provider. Local health departments and healthcare providers determine who needs testing and hospitalization on a case-by-case basis." -- Your healthcare provider should determine whether you need testing.

Edhat Staff Mar 23, 2020 08:57 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

From a previous article quoting Public Health: "People with mild symptoms who have not been tested are urged to self-isolate and consider themselves infected with COVID-19. They are advised to stay home for at least 7 days until respiratory symptoms have resolved or the fever has dissipated after 72 hours without the help of medication. " In a press conference today they stated testing is not needed. "You don't need a doctor to tell you to stay home," he said for people experiencing mild symptoms. Read more here: https://www.edhat.com/news/local-officials-tackle-price-gouging-and-state-of-covid-19

Shasta Guy Mar 23, 2020 07:29 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

Please do not do this in SB County, or anywhere else. A single party led to a massive spread on the east coast: *** https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/how-an-upscale-connecticut-party-became-a-coronavirus-super-spreader/ar-BB11BlwX?ocid=AMZN

a-1594197261 Mar 23, 2020 04:34 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

My question to the experts would be, would you still test possitive if you had the disease 6 weeks ago. Also, if you had a different strain of the virus would then this be a false possitive?

ChemicalSuperFreak Mar 23, 2020 09:36 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

It depends on whether they are testing for antibodies your immune system produced during the infection, or if they are using RT-PCR to detect the actual virus. It seems by week 6 post-infection, you may not have any detectable viral RNA, but you should have plenty of antibodies. The test for antibodies (likely and ELISA or similar) would have a chance at detecting more than one strain of corona virus and/or produce a false positive, depending on a number of factors I won't get into here. Hope that helps.

a-1594197261 Mar 23, 2020 12:09 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

It really doesn't matter how many cases get confirmed or where the specific location is identified. Like the cold, "regular" flu, and other Corona viruses, just assume probably everyone is going to get COVID-19 at some point while practicing common sense of proper hygiene and isolating yourself if you are sick or suspect you will get it. But, again, that is probably a huge number at this point. If people did that with colds and the flu (where the latter creates a 10% death rate of those contracting it), those would spread far slower, as well. Amidst all the doom and gloom people seem to dwell upon while the fear, panic, and hysteria spreads, keep these real and encouraging numbers from numerous sources (WHO, CDC, Worldmeter, etc.) published this morning in mind: 1) Death rate about 4% worldwide and dropping. 2) Death rate about 1% in the U.S. and dropping. 3) At least 95% of those who have died, they all had compromised "underlying" health issues, and that includes any age bracket, so media and people stating it is killing every age bracket are correct, but they are omitting this important fact and contributing to the fear and uncertainty. 4) At least 95% of those who have confirmed cases exhibit mild or no symptoms. For those quoting false or speculative numbers, you are only hoping to stoke your own fears and create them in others.

jqb Mar 23, 2020 09:25 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

I didn't post an article from ProPublica because of any other agenda than sharing information ... I received the article from a friend in an email titled "Of Concern". The article contains medical details, and X-Rays ... I'm pretty sure X-Rays don't have a political agenda, but someone who rejects such things just because of where they are published certainly does. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/propublica/ Factual Reporting: HIGH

jqb Mar 23, 2020 09:14 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

Dividing the number of deaths by the number of confirmed cases during a developing pandemic is very misleading -- if that number went down, it's because the number of confirmed cases has shot up, mostly because of increased testing in NY. "the curve is exponential, but it is going down per capita, not up" is completely meaningless ... exponential means that the rate of grow is increasing.

a-1594197261 Mar 23, 2020 03:36 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

Figures of this afternoon: 377, 717 confirmed cases, 16473 deaths worldwide = 4.4% 43,022 confirmed cases, 530 deaths, United States = 1.2% That is from the worldofmeters website you quote and these are significantly lower than a week ago. Yes, the curve is exponential, but it is going down per capita, not up. But keep spreading nonsense and fear JQB - you are doing a great job.

jqb Mar 23, 2020 01:12 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes--terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients "I have patients in their early 40s and, yeah, I was kind of shocked. I’m seeing people who look relatively healthy with a minimal health history, and they are completely wiped out, like they’ve been hit by a truck. This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people. Patients will be on minimal support, on a little bit of oxygen, and then all of a sudden, they go into complete respiratory arrest, shut down and can’t breathe at all.”

jqb Mar 23, 2020 12:49 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

" the flu (where the latter creates a 10% death rate of those contracting it)" -- you're off by a factor of 100. Several other errors here too. Take a look at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ ... those curves are exponential. Worldwide, one person has died for every 5 who have recovered. In the U.S., where the pandemic is just getting underway, there are only 187 recovered cases compared to 504 deaths ... claims that "Death rate about 1% in the U.S. and dropping" are nonsense. "underlying health issues" include obesity and hypertension.

biguglystick Mar 23, 2020 11:48 AM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

I've seen more people outside than ever. People are going stir crazy, and I get it, but I'd like to add: IF you are outside, at the beach, on a trail hiking, or wherever, PLEASE KEEP YOUR 6FT DISTANCE! ffs. I've noticed LOTS of people, mainly young white men (go figure, huh?) NOT moving over, NOT moving out of the way at all. Just DO IT. Keep your distance if you have to go out. Common sense, the Golden Rule. Safety First.

Minibeast Mar 23, 2020 11:38 AM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

“Sudden loss of smell or taste emerges as telltale sign of Covid-19.” This is according to New York Times and other sources, as of about six hours ago. (Now 11:30 a.m. Monday, 3/23/20)

Coolio Mar 23, 2020 09:16 AM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

I think until you have law enforcement and National Guard out there enforcing social distancing you'll continue to see groups of people who just really don't care.

Shasta Guy Mar 23, 2020 07:29 AM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

It looks like SB is getting the message. Yesterday I took a walk past the Rose Garden to the Natural History Museum. First of all, it was lovely listening to the flow of Mission Creek. The Rose Garden was a lot less populated, and the vast majority were individual families or couples. I didn’t see two different families letting their kids play together. Everyone walking kept a good 10’ apart. There is hope, I hope.

senior sally Mar 23, 2020 07:23 AM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

Mesa Produce on Cliff Drive delivers fresh produce and eggs to those over 55 three times a week (M W F) for $10. Cash or check only. Call by 5:30 the night before 962-1645.

a-1594197261 Mar 22, 2020 07:21 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

It makes no sense not to list the cities where cases are. Ventura county does that. It is the same kind of logic this admin has been using to "pacify" the public. It does the opposite. The decision makers know no better than the rest of us how dangerous it is and the impact. Identify the cities!!

a-1594197261 Mar 23, 2020 04:51 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

That information should have been released, where and how many. It is ridiculous that they think withholding the info does any better than telling people what's going on. It is utterly stupid and against the logic that this is pandemic.

sacjon Mar 23, 2020 12:15 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

OCEANDREW - I completely understand that, however, still... I would like to know where FOR SURE people are infected. At least I could rule out certain places to go shopping. Not sure why I got so much disagreement with wanting to know. Either way, I treat everyone the same - as if they're infected.

oceandrew Mar 23, 2020 12:06 PM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

SACJON, just because there are no reports of people testing positive doesn't mean there aren't people around who are infected, asymptomatic and contagious. If testing was readily available for all, as a certain carnival barker claims, the real extent of the viral spread could be better understood. But if no one is tested all you can do is guess if the person next to you is infected or not.

lutra Mar 23, 2020 09:52 AM
COVID-19 Cases Grow to 18 in Santa Barbara County

Yes, this happens a lot! After you hit Send, sometimes it will show your comment, other times it will not, but your comment actually *was* submitted. I've learned to hit Send just once, and if I don't see my comment, just reload the page to make it appear.

Pages