County Animal Service Expands Lompoc Operations

Reads 1950

By the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department

Beginning January 6, 2023, Santa Barbara County Animal Services will be open for community services at their Lompoc shelter location, Fridays through Mondays, helping pet owners with license sales and renewals, lost pet reunification, volunteer opportunities, adoption counseling, and more.

Director Sarah Aguilar states, “It’s hard to believe that nearly three years after COVID began, our community is still reeling from the economic impacts.  Now more than ever, they need access to animal services outside traditional hours.  We are excited to be open on weekends from 10 am to 7 pm in order to make our resources as convenient as possible.”

Phase one of service expansion will focus on increasing accessibility through technology.  “We have created kiosks so pet owners, and those who want to bring pets into their family, can use our computers to access the Animal Services website.  Team members will be available to assist with finding a new fur friend, finding lost pets, and learning about foster and volunteer opportunities.  We know that not everyone has regular access to the internet, and we don’t want that to be a barrier to bringing a pet into your home.”  Aguilar states.

Future plans include resuming housing pets at the shelter and hosting adoption events.  “We know that the Lompoc community values pets and wants to help.  We are excited to rebuild the volunteer program and expand our foster program.”

To learn more about adoption, fostering, or volunteering, visit https://linktr.ee/sbcanimalservices

Shelters in Santa Maria and Santa Barbara will continue regular operating hours of Monday through Saturday, 11:00 am to 4:30 pm.

a-1672937386 Jan 05, 2023 08:49 AM
County Animal Service Expands Lompoc Operations

The shelter is open ELEVEN to 4:30?!!
It's been years, but I'm so angry right now. I worked a lot of unpaid overtime hours on Saturdays! And disciplined for it when or if I let it be known. There was just no way to get everything done on busy days. Oh well, get over it. The new administrations have a totally different set of values than the one I worked for.

a-1674336519 Jan 21, 2023 01:28 PM
County Animal Service Expands Lompoc Operations

Under my previous supervisor, I would have had no hesitation about returning a dog to owner in an emergency situation. I had to pause; not do so under my last supervisor. I quit my job. He ended up an ACO in north county.
Yeah, it was years ago. They still deserve to be called out.
Shall I repeat that? Supervisors like this DESERVE TO BE CALLED OUT.
I shoulda done it years ago.

fitz Jan 05, 2023 09:05 AM
County Animal Service Expands Lompoc Operations

This is great news for the Lompoc community. Over many years, we got several pound puppies from this facility. It was always well-managed as far as i could tell.

a-1674332068 Jan 21, 2023 12:14 PM
County Animal Service Expands Lompoc Operations

Yeah, we were well-paid and had good benefits. Well, well-paid was able to make rent. I want all the people who thing government jobs are cushy to know how hard it is. The abuse one takes at a public counter empowered to write tickets... The abuse one may take depending on their boss. I had a good one once, in this job.

a-1674335501 Jan 21, 2023 01:11 PM
County Animal Service Expands Lompoc Operations

LOL, my ex-colleague in 2011 said "I have received the info; seems like a vicious pattern. That's what they say about spousal and child abuse; a cycle. If you learn it, you live it and accept it as "normal"."

a-1674335686 Jan 21, 2023 01:14 PM
County Animal Service Expands Lompoc Operations

I know, it's ancient news. Obviously I need help getting over it. But sharing the conditions is part of getting over it! I may not need a therapist! ;-)

a-1674336691 Jan 21, 2023 01:31 PM
County Animal Service Expands Lompoc Operations

Anyone who worked at SB County Animal Services has ID'd me. I filled in at Lompoc too. A totally different work environment, it was kind and relaxed. Of course it did have a lower animal census, but they closed for lunch! Very kind there, for both humans and pets, in those days.

a-1674341223 Jan 21, 2023 02:47 PM
County Animal Service Expands Lompoc Operations

LOL! I still love Mr. Vam??. I physically gave him his dog, after hours on a Saturday, and he said "the dog is stolen property because my fence did not blow down. I'm not paying you your fees."
Yeah, right. All MY fault. HA!!!
He (or his wife) paid all his fees when the dog's license renewal came up.

a-1674350774 Jan 21, 2023 05:26 PM
County Animal Service Expands Lompoc Operations

The SB shelter has changed for the better, 10-12 years later -- in that you now get a phone tree, not a human, on the line if you call. And they close for lunch! Good for them.