By an Edhat reader

My wife and I (local residents) were hiking Rattlesnake Canyon on Tuesday, October 30, and took the trail all the way to Gibraltar Rd. We immediately saw a couch and cushions off the side of the road. A sorry sight after such a beautiful hike!

I hope that through reaching out to the Edhat community that someone with the means to can get some action on the removal of this eyesore. If I had an appropriate vehicle I would do it myself.

Davy Brown Nov 01, 2018 02:54 PM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

sadly, happens often: hoboes living under Stanwood Bridge right by Skofield Park/Rattlesnake Canyon off and on for weeks: bedstands, all decked out, I chatted with them, just young "travelers"....sheesh!

Luvaduck Nov 01, 2018 07:54 AM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

If I dropped a candy wrapper or tissue, my Mom would make me pick it up and say, "Only Trash throws trash," but is there a sanctioned place that takes old mattresses, couches and like for free? Maybe this stuff is from people who want to get rid of one item and don't want to pay dump fees for one item not a load?

PurpleBee Nov 01, 2018 01:06 AM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

Curious as to why many of 9160's posts are repeated two or three times of the same post. This time once, but in previous discussions it happens all the time.

SantaBarbaraObserver Nov 01, 2018 06:55 AM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

Its a bug in Edhat's site that doesnt clear the comment after one hits send. Makes it appear as if the send didnt happen so the user clicks send again and again and again...

a-1541055903 Nov 01, 2018 12:05 AM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

The Marborg free pickup is TWICE A YEAR for City residents. Easy as pie to set up a pickup time. Call Marborg: 1 (805) 963-1852. The nice lady will tell you what you can and can't put curbside. No construction materials, but loads of other stuff will be hauled away FREE. Thank you, Marborg.

Factotum Oct 31, 2018 05:33 PM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

Marborg picks up sofas and mattresses for free. It is a city-funded service agreement. Every property owner gets two major pick-ups a year or you can arrange for a special pick-up beyond this generous free offer. Just give them a call, learn what time to leave it curbside, Then watch the streetside "pickers" harvest out the good stuff, but everything will be gone completely as scheduled. This is a wonderful public service. No excuses to just dump trash in public.

SantaBarbaraObserver Oct 31, 2018 02:32 PM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

Trashy people being trashy. Look over the side of Gibraltar Rd at every turnout and you'll see trash like this. Heck, look at any turnout on any rural road and you'll see junk and trash.

sacjon Oct 31, 2018 01:28 PM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

Seriously, if you're going to stand and take a photo of trash in nature, at least grab a piece or two. Not sure why this is such an "offensive" concept. Go ahead and downvote some more. I'll go grab the pillows. ;)

a-1541018673 Oct 31, 2018 01:44 PM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

Another assumption. How do you know if we grabbed or didn’t grab a few empty beer cans or other garbage while we were there. Geez! Some people...

Icre84U Oct 31, 2018 11:20 AM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

I witnessed a Santa Barbara based furniture store delivery truck stop and heave a mattress set out on the side of a road. Driver left before I could confront him. I followed truck and called CHP and Cal-Trans, provide license plate and store information but both said there was nothing they could do unless they witnessed the offense themselves. The mattress sat on the side of the road for close to a year before somebody finally removed it!

a-1541014521 Oct 31, 2018 12:35 PM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

there's also a mattress and box spring on the on-ramp to 154 south at cathedral oaks. People frustrate me to no end with their littering in that entire area.

a-1541012038 Oct 31, 2018 11:53 AM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

I saw a mattress on the 101 yesterday. Southbound in Goleta. I forget which onramp it was near. I will file a request for attention on the Caltrans website. Sometimes they respond and do the work. Sometimes they say they don't have the manpower, etc. You can report panhandlers along the 101 on/off ramps but then they tell you to call CHP when you see them in their regular spots. Las Positas on/off ramps have regular panhandlers walking up and down the on/off ramps, any time of day. I don't understand why the CHP that drive by and see them daily don't take some action, whatever that looks like.

Flicka Oct 31, 2018 10:56 AM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

You have to live in Montecito to be upset about a couch off the trail? Probably everyone has seen them, and mattresses, on the side of the street in town but in the mountains is a whole different story. Sometimes furniture on the sidewalk is taken home by someone who needs it.

a-1541014321 Oct 31, 2018 12:32 PM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

No need to get snippy, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I've hauled out plenty of trash in my hikes, so I didn't think a couch pillow would be too much of a burden. Sorry if this offended you.

a-1541013474 Oct 31, 2018 12:17 PM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

No did not. As mentioned we were hiking so not really feasible considering the hike back down, backpacks and dogs. Nice comment by the way. Very constructive.

a-1541000893 Oct 31, 2018 08:48 AM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

You must live in Montecito or something. This is a problem all over town - mattresses, all kinds of furniture - left out on the curb (sometimes placed there for people to sit in like they do in Mexico) - making it look like a ghetto.

a-1541019370 Oct 31, 2018 01:56 PM

===========================================================
TWO FREE bulky item pickups a year, great benefit.

REX OF SB Oct 31, 2018 09:32 AM
Couch And Cushion Eyesore in Rattlesnake Canyon

This could have something to do with the fact that it is often difficult or expensive to dispose of unwanted items such as sofas, large appliances, etc., so people just dump them by the roadside, down canyons, etc. Marborg is good about giving residents a once-a-year free pickup service of hard-to-dispose-of items, but more is needed to assure that this wanton dumping doesn't continue.