Coffee with a Cop on Wednesday

By Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office

The Goleta Police Department has partnered with the Camino Real Marketplace McDonalds location for a “Coffee with a Cop” event on Wednesday, October 5, 2022, from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.  Together, we invite the public to join us for coffee and dialogue with no agenda or speeches. This is an opportunity to voice your concerns and get to know the deputies in your neighborhood. McDonalds is generously supplying attendees with a free small cup of McCafe coffee.

“As a McDonald’s Owner/Operator, being involved in the community is a cornerstone of my business, and I look forward to hosting this event in conjunction with our local law enforcement,” said David Peterson, Owner/Operator in Goleta. “I hope that community members will attend the Coffee with a Cop events and feel comfortable to ask questions, bring forward concerns, or simply get to know our officers.”

“I look forward to enjoying a cup of coffee with members of the Goleta community,” said Sergeant Noel Rivas from the Goleta Traffic Bureau. Deputies from the Goleta and Isla Vista area will be at the event along with Community Resource Deputies.

National Coffee with a Cop Day is a day dedicated to encouraging communication and positive interactions between law enforcement agencies and the public. The day began as part of National Community Policing Week in 2016 and now continues each year on the first Wednesday in October furthering efforts nationwide to bridge the gap between the community and the law.

Basicinfo805 Oct 02, 2022 02:30 PM
Coffee with a Cop on Wednesday

Homey, I’m not a right winger or a left winger, so lose the name calling. I respect the police, that’s all.

Ahchooo Oct 02, 2022 04:37 PM
Coffee with a Cop on Wednesday

Is popo disrespectful, or is it just another nickname like cop? Anything can be disrespectful if said in the wrong tone.

Babycakes Oct 02, 2022 02:20 PM
Coffee with a Cop on Wednesday

There's no misunderstanding if you are familiar with the term "popo" and its origins. It's taken from Spanish slang for poo-poo (yes, that kind of popo). Some people think it's referring to police officers, which it is in certain parts of the country. So, yeah, referring to LE as "popo" isn't a good thing to do. Just be aware of what you are talking about before you spout off such things (please).

a-1664985415 Oct 05, 2022 08:56 AM
Coffee with a Cop on Wednesday

POlice. That is the origin of popo for me and the majority of other folks. People use it, like AHCHOO says, as a cutesy nickname, not as a derogatory insult.

Ahchooo Oct 03, 2022 12:46 PM
Coffee with a Cop on Wednesday

I hadn’t seen this comment before I made my other one. I was not aware of the origins of the term po-po. I have to say, when I’ve heard it said, it has been more of a cutesy term than one of disrespect. But I’ve never used it myself, and won’t.

a-1664735569 Oct 02, 2022 11:32 AM
Coffee with a Cop on Wednesday

They should have an event for kids to meet with the cops too, call it "Cocoa with a Popo"