Photos: Tom H.

Update by an edhat reader

This was a cliff rescue of a guy who went down after his dog. They got him backup and the  Dog went to the vet. When firefighters left they went on the back side of the Douglas preserve and got stuck on the way out. 2 trucks total. I am here now (5:45 p.m) and they are still stuck.

Reported by Roger

Cliff Rescue in the 2900 block of Cliff Drive near Las Positas and Allen Road. The SB City Fire Department is responding.

Emmenanthe Jan 06, 2020 03:49 PM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

Sounds as though this was a needed training exercise for the FD people - hard to get used to judging mud in generally bone dry South. Calif.

Lucky 777 Jan 05, 2020 01:05 PM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

At least they didn't try to come down the skinny trail facing Elings and then cross the bridge back onto Cliff Drive.

a-1580124656 Jan 05, 2020 07:55 AM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

I think it's dangerous to walk dogs along the wilcox property without leashes because of them chasing little animals and ending up off the cliff! I talked to someone about help with training my dog and they keep saying how they want to take us to walk at the Wilcox property and I don't want to. I don't think it's safe! to them that is a great accomplishment for the dog to walk there because there's other dogs and they're off leash and resisting chasing after Little Critters is something they want to train not to do but I don't care about having him off-leash along the cliffs! This kind of stuff happens way too often. I just want to walk my dog on a leash in safe areas without him freaking out. I'm glad that nobody was injured!

a-1580124656 Jan 05, 2020 08:42 PM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

07:55 AM And which "little animals" might those be? As someone who walks there often and is always on the look out for birds, I would like to know what species of small animals you think are wandering around up on The Wilcox Property? Gophers may reside there, but you won't see a dog chasing them or chasing any other type of animals because . . . there simply aren't any "small animals" there apart from the Pocket gophers and various birds. "This kind of stuff happens way too often." Please know your subject before you take to disseminating false information.

a-1580124656 Jan 05, 2020 09:34 AM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

Follow your instinct on this one - if you don’t feel safe having your dog off-leash then don’t do it and don’t let anyone talk you into it.

Roger Jan 05, 2020 09:30 AM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

The dog was injured though I don't know how bad Thank You for your comments..

CoastWatch Jan 04, 2020 09:07 PM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

Never understood why the FD uses the ropes and redundant rope systems with all the equipment needed when an electric winch like on a tow truck or a hand operated capstain/sailboat winch could be used- It would be so much faster and easier with less manpower required.

Sam The Dog Jan 05, 2020 09:30 PM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

Protocol that's why. Cliff, slope building, etc. they need to follow the same protocol each time, for many many reasons. I'm actually floored that you received 3 up votes already for wondering why the fire department would use a system with redundant safety measures.

jgr Jan 04, 2020 08:58 PM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

I was walking our dog about 4.30 and this is one of two fire trucks that got stuck in the muddy tracks. The picture shows the crews trying to dig one of them out. I guess the rescue of the dog went off without a hitch but much more help was required to rescue the fire trucks!

a-1580124656 Jan 04, 2020 05:34 PM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

From that photo it looks like the fire truck is situated about 200' north of the Borton Dr. entrance to the Wilcox Property-----the north side, where you can stand and look over Cliff Dr to Elings Park and watch the hang gliders launching. It's not nearly as steep a drop there as the ocean side. Lots of scrub, oak trees, nastursiums. The woman *and* dog fell down over the side there?

a-1580124656 Jan 05, 2020 01:14 AM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

If the fire guys drove the truck in at Medcliff entrance, then, when it came time to leave, they must have thought it was better to continue on westward, making the entire loop around the property and back out Medcliff rather than try and turn the truck around on the south/oceanside? Not really practical at all, considering the impediment of low branches on oaks and narrow narrow trail just before the northeast Borton Dr. entrance, about another 200' further from where the truck got stuck. Wow. I'm surprised that truck didn't bog down at the two big puddles located about 200 yds (or less) further on from the hang glider launch point (south/ocean side). How was the truck eventually "rescued?" I'm curious to know. Looks like they were doing some digging. Did they deflate bogged tires? Were trac-grabbers added to the tires?

jgr Jan 04, 2020 09:43 PM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

It looks like the dog/human rescue was made on the ocean side. But for some reason two of the three fire trucks decided to try and exit along the Cliff Drive side of the Wilcox and got stuck on the narrow track. The crews seemed pretty frustrated when I walked by. Kind of embarrassing for them!

Roger Jan 04, 2020 03:42 PM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

Not sure it's the same call but going with it anyway Transporting a K9 and a female to the pet hospital 400 East Carrillo..

Roger Jan 04, 2020 03:05 PM
Cliff Rescue on Cliff Drive

Engine 5 on scebe assuming commang subject is down 30 feet from the to]..