Clever Scam Calls Claim to be Citibank

By an edhat reader

I received a call from Citibank Fraud Department saying that someone was trying to buy an airline ticket under my name in Seattle. She read off my address (where I haven't lived for two years) and then asked me for my credit card # and my security word.

I became very skeptical since she had an old address. I then asked her for the last four digits of the credit card she was referring too and there was a long silence. She came back and said she needed the full credit card number.

I said again, what are the last four digits of the credit card you are referring to? There was a slight pause and then she hung up.

This is very clever scam and sounded completely legitimate. I just want to let people know never to give out your credit card or security word no legitimate it sounds. Hang up and call the credit card number immediately.

ESL_teacher Jul 31, 2018 04:20 PM
Clever Scam Calls Claim to be Citibank

Similar thing happened to me recently with Netflix. Received an email that my account had been suspended because of problem with credit card. Because I had recently switched to a new credit card, I thought maybe the change had not gone through. Followed the link given but it had been taken down. Then called Netflix who confirmed that it was bogus. I certainly would not have given away any personal information online if it was requested, as I do know better than that.

a-1561586526 Jul 31, 2018 05:16 PM
Clever Scam Calls Claim to be Citibank

Don't even click on links in an email like that. It can still allow them to obtain information from your computer. Always go to the official website of the company, or call them instead.

PitMix Jul 31, 2018 11:07 AM
Clever Scam Calls Claim to be Citibank

I think the rule is, never answer a call from a number you do not know. If they are legit they will leave a message. If no message, then you haven't wasted your time. This will be more important as we age and become more susceptible to these kinds of calls and pitches.

shorebird Jul 31, 2018 09:03 AM
Clever Scam Calls Claim to be Citibank

You can have fun with theses calls. Just make up a silly question and speak realllly slowly. “I’ve been thinking about this for a long time. I’m so glad that you called because you can help me with it. I don’t trust just anyone with this question. What did you think of the social significance of the movie (insert movie name here)? Gone With the Wind, Jurassic Park, The Three Amigos, The Graduate, Caddy Shack, Debbie Does Dallas. Any film will do. When they bluster continue to ask questions. “Does this issue trigger a trauma from your childhood?”

CS805 Jul 30, 2018 05:12 PM
Clever Scam Calls Claim to be Citibank

Any time someone calls you from a financial institution asking for credit or payment details, hang up and call the number on the back of your card. If they confirm, they called you then proceed providing payment information.

CRAM Jul 30, 2018 04:50 PM
Clever Scam Calls Claim to be Citibank

Thank you so much for this posting. Very good advice to always hang up and call the number on the back of your credit card. Better safe than sorry.