By an edhat reader

On a recent trip to Vancouver, we noticed how clean the beaches were and then discovered the signage. This sure wouldn't go over here!

porkrind Oct 02, 2019 10:07 AM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

How is that different from here? Dogs aren't allowed on Santa Barbara city beaches, nor is smoking.

a-1570036374 Oct 02, 2019 10:12 AM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

OP - go check out Gaviota or any of the other state beaches. No dogs allowed there either. The trash on the beach is usually washed up from elsewhere. And I don't know about you, but our beaches are pretty clean! That is, if you go to the good ones!

LCP112233 Oct 02, 2019 11:43 AM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

Dogs are not allowed on most beaches up and down the SB, SLO County coasts. I think you must look up stream and see what atrocities are being committed in the creeks and river beds.

ternst Oct 02, 2019 11:53 AM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

I think it's the amount of the fine that they are pointing out. $2000 is pretty high! Even though it's Canuck dollars.

a-1570043222 Oct 02, 2019 12:07 PM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

Did you notice any encampments on the beach? If you said no, that's most likely your answer.

RHS Oct 03, 2019 12:53 PM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

What hokum. "Encampments"? Say what you want to say and then give some evidence to support your hypothesis. Really, I don't see a lot of "encampments" on the beaches of Santa Barbara so it is hard to suspect "encampers" of being the cause of any dirty beaches here.

a-1570133037 Oct 03, 2019 01:03 PM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

at 12:07 Where do and all your 9 "supporters" see homeless camps on our beaches? One or 2 homeless guys hanging out on the beach does not equal "encampment." Come on, where?

Thomas John Oct 03, 2019 02:51 PM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

I'd invite you to get on a paddle board and go from East Beach to Butterfly - you'll see it. Actually I see up to a dozen tents up between butterfly and the wharf on my morning paddles.

letmego Oct 02, 2019 12:09 PM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

Plus, Vancouver on a sound. So, maybe less chance of junk washing ashore from the open ocean.

a-1570043963 Oct 02, 2019 12:19 PM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

I am so confused by this logic...OP, what do you mean by clean vs not clean? And what on earth do dogs have to do with it?

Deerpoet Oct 02, 2019 02:26 PM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

OP here: Dogs not allowed on the beaches is not the reality in Santa Barbara, Hendry's Beach not withstanding. Dog owners continue to break the rules and allow their pets the freedom to run loose on Goleta Beach, East, Leadbetter and Deveraux Beaches. I'm on many of our beaches for recreation weekly, year after year, and quite frankly I'm tired of selfish people who break the rules and think allowing their loose dogs to run up to unfamiliar people on the beach is cute and okay. Never mind dog owners who think no one's watching and do not pick up their pets waste. I wish the city would set up another dog friendly section of beach where dog owners could let their beloved pets do their thing. Come on Parks and Rec and SB City and Goleta! acknowledge we do have a problem here on our beaches and set up fines so those of us who do not want to see dogs, be approached by them, or walk around dog poop can enjoy natures beauty undistracted and without having to be on guard. As I walk the beaches over the years wish I had an apology for every time someone's unleashed dog has bothered me.

a-1570059880 Oct 02, 2019 04:44 PM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

DEERPOET. I feel for you. Dogs are everywhere. Maybe you should try moving someplace where you can be with other dog-averse comrades.

Sagepup Oct 02, 2019 02:46 PM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

I see trash mostly, usually washed up or left over from humans. Dog poop not so much, so saying dogs are the problem is not based on facts. Humans not caring enough to pick up their trash and dog poop is the problem.

a-1570111595 Oct 03, 2019 07:06 AM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

How about a New Zealand policy? No trash cans on or near beaches. The signs tell people to cart their trash away. And, yup, they do just that. You rarely see trash on the beaches there.

s.b.ron Oct 03, 2019 07:07 AM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

Don’t forget that Canada and each province, has a very large number of government employees. There are probably people whose job it is to keep the beach clean. In the U.S. we don’t like big government, so these kind of jobs don’t get filled. If we were willing to pay more taxes, we might have cleaner everything.

RHS Oct 03, 2019 10:15 AM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

What a silly argument. Merely posting a sign is not the same as actual enforcement. Almost all social compliance is gained by the agreement of the society to behave in certain ways, not by punishment. Consider Prohibition. The fact (if demonstrably true) that Canada's beaches are cleaner than SB is almost certainly a result of the understanding of Canadians that they shouldn't litter. Our society seems to ignore that politeness when moderately inconvenient as I observe as I walk my dog each a.m.

ESL_teacher Oct 03, 2019 10:47 AM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

I agree with Deer Poet. Some of us have been traumatized by a dog attack at some point in their life. Furthermore, as a parent and grandparent I am also concerned about the well being of small children approached by unknown dogs.

Luvaduck Oct 03, 2019 10:47 AM
Clean Beaches of Vancouver

Posted school yards get the same scofflaws, but I'd sympathize if it weren't for the issue of pregnant women & children's health due to exposure to feces and its remnants on the grass in low rain climates. Dogs need to run and in heavily populated areas, it's difficult to find a place to let them. This creates a problem even for responsible owners.